Official Epik Subwoofer Thread - Page 701 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #21001 of 21031 Old 09-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, there isn’t really any true ‘bridge’ setup going on at this point, as it looks like I’d have to wire up to 1+/2+. Thus far, I’m just hoping to power up via Dual mode, just running through the A channel to power 1 Empire, and using the 1+/1-. That should still pass through 900w, which should be plenty to get those drivers moving. So even confirming I’m operating in Dual mode, still no usable power to the drivers.

Update: Apparently got it figured out down to the speakon terminal I wired from the Empire drivers. I terminated the speakon cable from the MX3000D to bare wire and just connected wire to wire from the drivers, and looks like I’m back in business.

Last edited by paulmcj; 09-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21002 of 21031 Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcj View Post
Update: Apparently got it figured out down to the speakon terminal I wired from the Empire drivers. I terminated the speakon cable from the MX3000D to bare wire and just connected wire to wire from the drivers, and looks like I’m back in business.
That’s what I did.
post #21003 of 21031 Old 11-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I am hoping to get some advice from you guys. I picked up a 2nd Epik Empire used today. At first the seller said it was functioning great. The day before I go to pick it up he said he was taking the amp out to take pictures of it on the inside for me. He said after that, the amp would not power on anymore. I bought the Empire anyway for a cheap price which I feel is worth it. I am aware of the amp issues that plagued Epik, but was it a power supply issue where it wouldnt power up at all?

Anyhow, the unit does not do anything, no lights, no noise nothing. When I hit the on switch, I get a quick dimming of my room lights but nothing on the sub comes on.

I took the amp out to inspect. I found a very small piece of the circuit board where the power wire plugs into the amp (see pics) on the back side. I attempted to solder it back on but it still does not power on. I also found the coating on the capacitors was flaking off.

So is this failure the typical failure that all the Epik amps have? Or is this something I can diagnose and fix? The owner swears it worked yesterday prior to me picking it up. Worst case scenario, I buy a new amp. But I am just exploring my options here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_135424 (Large).jpg
Views:	446
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	2484550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_135507 (Large).jpg
Views:	453
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	2484552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_142607 (Large).jpg
Views:	467
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	2484554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21004 of 21031 Old 11-19-2018, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I am hoping to get some advice from you guys. I picked up a 2nd Epik Empire used today. At first the seller said it was functioning great. The day before I go to pick it up he said he was taking the amp out to take pictures of it on the inside for me. He said after that, the amp would not power on anymore. I bought the Empire anyway for a cheap price which I feel is worth it. I am aware of the amp issues that plagued Epik, but was it a power supply issue where it wouldnt power up at all?

Anyhow, the unit does not do anything, no lights, no noise nothing. When I hit the on switch, I get a quick dimming of my room lights but nothing on the sub comes on.

I took the amp out to inspect. I found a very small piece of the circuit board where the power wire plugs into the amp (see pics) on the back side. I attempted to solder it back on but it still does not power on. I also found the coating on the capacitors was flaking off.

So is this failure the typical failure that all the Epik amps have? Or is this something I can diagnose and fix? The owner swears it worked yesterday prior to me picking it up. Worst case scenario, I buy a new amp. But I am just exploring my options here.
IIRC there is a fuse hidden in the plastic piece right where the power cord connects. Is that blown? Honestly, if that isn't it I'd probably wouldn't even mess around with it and just buy a Behringer NX6000D (the successor to the iNuke 6000DSP). Fair warning, these amp fans are a bit noisy, I wouldn't want my iNuke in the same room with me if I could avoid it (many have replaced them with quieter fans). This amp is plenty powerful for both my Empires. To recoup some cost, you could sell your working Empire plate amp, someone will want it.
post #21005 of 21031 Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
IIRC there is a fuse hidden in the plastic piece right where the power cord connects. Is that blown? Honestly, if that isn't it I'd probably wouldn't even mess around with it and just buy a Behringer NX6000D (the successor to the iNuke 6000DSP). Fair warning, these amp fans are a bit noisy, I wouldn't want my iNuke in the same room with me if I could avoid it (many have replaced them with quieter fans). This amp is plenty powerful for both my Empires. To recoup some cost, you could sell your working Empire plate amp, someone will want it.

I should have mentioned that I checked the fuse, it was good.

I was actually looking at the NX3000D. Would that be enough for both of my empires or do I need the 6000?

Also, I made a seperate post about it as I am unsure about the speakon connector on the new amp. My room is wired for a regular sub rca cable. So converting to speakon will be impossible unless I cut sheetrock out. Is there an adapter to go from speakon to the sub rca connector?
post #21006 of 21031 Old 11-19-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was actually looking at the NX3000D. Would that be enough for both of my empires or do I need the 6000?

Also, I made a seperate post about it as I am unsure about the speakon connector on the new amp. My room is wired for a regular sub rca cable. So converting to speakon will be impossible unless I cut sheetrock out. Is there an adapter to go from speakon to the sub rca connector?
I'm not sure, they're pretty close in price but the 6000 is double the power, that is the reason I went right to the 6000. I will say though, my gain knobs are only at about 10 o'clock and it's plenty loud (receiver is at +2db or so for subs), so you might be able to get away with a 3000.

There isn't an adapter to go from Speakon to RCA and you wouldn't want one. Basically you are turning your subwoofers into passive boxes, just like your speakers and you wouldn't want to run your from speakers off an RCA cable.

You'll either have to put your amplifier next to your subwoofer(s) or you'll have to run speaker cables to them. Your speaker wire will have a Speakon connector on one side and connect to your subwoofer drivers on the other side. I made a quick guide a couple years ago that should get you pointed in the right direction (clicky).
post #21007 of 21031 Old 11-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I agree with Dreamliner about an external amp, I wasted money shipping one of my plate amps to someone only to find out it couldn't be repaired. I would have bought an inuke but didn't want the fan noise as the amp would be in my living room, plus the previous generation inukes were butt ugly. I ended up with two Crown xls2502's powering 4 Empires and they have plenty of power with no fan noise. I would however have bought a couple of the NX600dsp's and modded the fans if they were available at the time I bought the amps. I think the 3000 would be sufficient for a pair but I would go with the 6000 for the extra headroom myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #21008 of 21031 Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about making some changes in my setup so I figure I'll post here first. I have a pair of Epik Empires that I bought brand new the month they were released. One is working no problems, the other one had an amp failure about 8 months ago. I was planning on just buying an external amp to power them both but now I think I'm going to sell them both as a pair and go to a single sub. I'm going to list them in a week or so in the classified forums unless someone here is interested first. I want who ever buys them to know about the amp issues and solutions so this seemed like the best place to start feeling around. I'm asking $700 for the pair. I'm not considering shipping at this time.
post #21009 of 21031 Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post
I'm thinking about making some changes in my setup so I figure I'll post here first. I have a pair of Epik Empires that I bought brand new the month they were released. One is working no problems, the other one had an amp failure about 8 months ago. I was planning on just buying an external amp to power them both but now I think I'm going to sell them both as a pair and go to a single sub. I'm going to list them in a week or so in the classified forums unless someone here is interested first. I want who ever buys them to know about the amp issues and solutions so this seemed like the best place to start feeling around. I'm asking $700 for the pair. I'm not considering shipping at this time.
Where are you located?
post #21010 of 21031 Old 12-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Where are you located?
His profile says MI.

@ _Noah_ - Too bad I'm not going to be out there in the next few months...I would have been interested. If you do end up thinking about shipping one (I only need one) please send me a PM.
post #21011 of 21031 Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Epik Empire Subwoofer

Apologies if this is not appropriate. Please delete if so. I have an Epik Empire that I am looking to sell. I am the original owner and it's in good working condition and very good cosmetic conditions. What is fair asking price for it? I would like to sell locally if possible.

Last edited by bigasiannd; 12-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #21012 of 21031 Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasiannd View Post
Apologies if this is not appropriate. Please delete if so. I have an Epik Empire that I am looking to sell. I am the original owner and it's in good working condition and very good cosmetic conditions. What is fair asking price for it? I would like to see locally if possible.
I'm thinking you ask for $450 or $500 and see if you get a bite. It is a very capable sub, but the Epik brand has such a bad reputation in the HT community because of the amp issues and sketchy customer service.
post #21013 of 21031 Old 12-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Were the amps in the other Epik subs garbage or was it just the Empire? I don't remember hearing bad things about the others.

post #21014 of 21031 Old 12-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasiannd View Post
Apologies if this is not appropriate. Please delete if so. I have an Epik Empire that I am looking to sell. I am the original owner and it's in good working condition and very good cosmetic conditions. What is fair asking price for it? I would like to sell locally if possible.

I just paid $200 for an Epik Empire with a bad Amp. I was willing to pay $400 for it if it was in good working condition. But no more than that knowing the problems they have with amps. Where are you located? I am searching for more Empires, or atleast a few drivers without the enclosures or amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
Were the amps in the other Epik subs garbage or was it just the Empire? I don't remember hearing bad things about the others.

I believe the Empire and Legends were affected. I just picked up a 2nd Empire with the "old style" amp. I can see why they would get torched. They put the amp in the enclosure and then boxed it in. There is no airflow there and it gets HOT in there. The "newer" style ones, are atleast open inside the enclosure and not boxed in. I ended up bypassing the amps and now run a Behringer NX6000DSP amp to drive 2 Empire enclosures (4 subs) and what a difference!

If anyone else is looking to unload their empires let me know as I would be willing to purchase them (even with a bad amp) or just the speakers only with no enclosure.
post #21015 of 21031 Old 12-22-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

As I recall the last batches of Legends had suspect amps. The older ones had fewer issues. I'm certain that is discussed upthread somewhere.
post #21016 of 21031 Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just built a Johnnysub to handle sub duties and am going to use my two re-amped Legends as balancing subs. If they struggle to blend well, I might just sell them to fund another Johnny.
post #21017 of 21031 Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I just paid $200 for an Epik Empire with a bad Amp. I was willing to pay $400 for it if it was in good working condition. But no more than that knowing the problems they have with amps. Where are you located? I am searching for more Empires, or atleast a few drivers without the enclosures or amp.

I believe the Empire and Legends were affected. I just picked up a 2nd Empire with the "old style" amp. I can see why they would get torched. They put the amp in the enclosure and then boxed it in. There is no airflow there and it gets HOT in there. The "newer" style ones, are atleast open inside the enclosure and not boxed in. I ended up bypassing the amps and now run a Behringer NX6000DSP amp to drive 2 Empire enclosures (4 subs) and what a difference!

If anyone else is looking to unload their empires let me know as I would be willing to purchase them (even with a bad amp) or just the speakers only with no enclosure.
I am located in the Minneapolis area. My Empire has the original amp and it is still working fine.
post #21018 of 21031 Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't been on this forum in years. Just got a smart plug for my Legend Sub, so it is getting more use as of late. Everything is original, and the performance continues to AMAZE!
post #21019 of 21031 Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsindela View Post
Haven't been on this forum in years. Just got a smart plug for my Legend Sub, so it is getting more use as of late. Everything is original, and the performance continues to AMAZE!
Epik was a great value and it would cost thousands to get something better than my two Empire subs.
firemanast and gsindela like this.
post #21020 of 21031 Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Did anyone get the schematic for the Epik Empire Amp?

My amp is working just fine, but it's time to replace the Caps before they fail.
post #21021 of 21031 Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
I have an empire I bought used for $550 about 4 years ago and a legend I bought during their closeout sale for $399. Maybe 3 years ago. A few months before Epik went AWOL. Both are still going strong. I don't push them hard. A great deal for under $1k IMO.
gsindela likes this.
post #21022 of 21031 Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.Concierge View Post
Did anyone get the schematic for the Epik Empire Amp?

My amp is working just fine, but it's time to replace the Caps before they fail.
Here are some pictures of my Epik Empire amp. It's got really really low hours on them, so nothing is overheated, yet.

Sorry for the low-quality iPhone photos, these are taken down in the theater.

But if anyone is interested, I can take better quality picture with Macro lens if needed.

They were purchased back in May 2010 and both are still working for me. *knock on wood*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4117.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2543198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4118.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2543200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4121.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2543202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4122.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2543204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4126.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2543206  

Last edited by Mac.Concierge; 03-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #21023 of 21031 Old 03-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I have an empire I bought used for $550 about 4 years ago and a legend I bought during their closeout sale for $399. Maybe 3 years ago. A few months before Epik went AWOL. Both are still going strong. I don't push them hard. A great deal for under $1k IMO.

Unbeatable on a midbass per dollar basis.
post #21024 of 21031 Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Here are some pictures of my Epik Empire amp. It's got really really low hours on them, so nothing is overheated, yet.

Sorry for the low-quality iPhone photos, these are taken down in the theater.

But if anyone is interested, I can take better quality picture with Macro lens if needed.

They were purchased back in May 2010 and both are still working for me. *knock on wood*

Thanks for the pics!

Any chance you would be willing to write down the quantity of each the different electrolytic capacitor pairs and their values? That would help a huge amount for those of us wanting to replace the caps.

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.

Last edited by StevenLansing; 03-24-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #21025 of 21031 Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Sure. I just need some directions.

Like which board, which cap? What color, etc.

Or circle them from other picture and I can zoom in with Macro Lens.
post #21026 of 21031 Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Sure. I just need some directions.

Like which board, which cap? What color, etc.

Or circle them from other picture and I can zoom in with Macro Lens.
To properly re-cap the amp all the electrolytic capacitors would need to be replaced throughout the entire amp.Just group all the ones with the same values together and list the quantity and the values for voltage and micro-farads. Those two big blue ones,for example, would be the same type/value so you would list a quantity of 2 of those with the voltage of 200v and micro-farad value of 1200μF, that's printed on the sides.

Only the cylindrical capacitors,that look like smaller versions of those larger ones,regardless of physical size or whether they are blue or black or even orange, need to be listed. They could be any color and there will be many of them everywhere throughout the amp.

I circled some of them in the picture.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4122.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2543986  

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.

Last edited by StevenLansing; 03-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #21027 of 21031 Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

I decided to not even bother fiddling with trying to fix the amps. Got a great deal on 2 more Empires with dead amps. Now I have 3 Empires (6 subs total) powered off my NX6000D and an SVS 12" sub and I am very happy. I am hoping to add 1 more Empire to my arsenal. So if any of you guys have a dead amp'd Empire let me know!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	39369 (Large).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2545510  
post #21028 of 21031 Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I decided to not even bother fiddling with trying to fix the amps. Got a great deal on 2 more Empires with dead amps. Now I have 3 Empires (6 subs total) powered off my NX6000D and an SVS 12" sub and I am very happy. I am hoping to add 1 more Empire to my arsenal. So if any of you guys have a dead amp'd Empire let me know!
I have a conquest with a dead amp. How much are those good for?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #21029 of 21031 Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
how would you get it? Shipping would be a monster. In coastal NC> Airport code ILM
post #21030 of 21031 Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
how would you get it? Shipping would be a monster. In coastal NC> Airport code ILM
I just had one shipped from California to CT and it was about $150 to ship. So it comes down to how much the sub is sold for if its worth while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Epik Legend Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page