How common are 7.1 vs 5.1 audio tracks for blu-rays? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
How common are 7.1 vs 5.1 audio tracks for blu-rays?

So I'm contemplating adding two additional surround speakers to my 5.1 system to make it 7.1 It involves some cost and labor of course, which I think will be worth it if there is a lot of native 7.1 audio for blu-rays out there but I have no idea if that's true or not. When I first started collecting blu-rays back in 2007 there were not many 7.1 blu-rays, most were 5.1 IIRC. I have my own collection to see if 7.1 is available but it takes too long to look at hundreds of individual blu-ray titles. Anyone have a general sense of how common 7.1 audio is for blu-rays these days? Not counting/including Atmos, just traditional 7.1 surround mixes. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Unless a rental, more common than before, especially from the major studios (Fox, Warner, Etc.). Some of the smaller ones might still have a 5.1 track. All of the ATMOS titles are built on 7.1 that I've seen. You can always look at Ralph's reviews for particular titles.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
So I'm contemplating adding two additional surround speakers to my 5.1 system to make it 7.1 It involves some cost and labor of course, which I think will be worth it if there is a lot of native 7.1 audio for blu-rays out there but I have no idea if that's true or not. When I first started collecting blu-rays back in 2007 there were not many 7.1 blu-rays, most were 5.1 IIRC. I have my own collection to see if 7.1 is available but it takes too long to look at hundreds of individual blu-ray titles. Anyone have a general sense of how common 7.1 audio is for blu-rays these days? Not counting/including Atmos, just traditional 7.1 surround mixes. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Is your interest movies or music for this? If it's movies and your AVR cannot do Atmos or DTS-X, but it can do 7.1, it should play the core of Atmos or DTS-X which will be 7.1....and there will be a LOT to choose from in new releases. A definite upgrade for you if you go for it imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-10-2018, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Unless a rental, more common than before, especially from the major studios (Fox, Warner, Etc.). Some of the smaller ones might still have a 5.1 track. All of the ATMOS titles are built on 7.1 that I've seen. You can always look at Ralph's reviews for particular titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Is your interest movies or music for this? If it's movies and your AVR cannot do Atmos or DTS-X, but it can do 7.1, it should play the core of Atmos or DTS-X which will be 7.1....and there will be a LOT to choose from in new releases. A definite upgrade for you if you go for it imo.
Thank you both for your replies. I'm interested in 7.1 mostly for movies (very much into multichannel/surround music but that is almost exlusively 5.1 nowadays, with some 4.0 from the old days and very rare Atmos mixed albums).

Didn't know that Atmos is based on 7.1, guess that would make it more compelling although I am not planning on upgrading to UHD from my current setup for now. I now remember that a decade ago I posted a similar topic and found that 7.1 movies are few and far between, and not really increased over time it seems, with the exception of Atmos now I guess. It is tempting though...

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page