Industry Insiders Q&A MASTER THREAD [separate thread for Xbox/Add On & PS3] - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4621 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply Andy I didn't knew that the add-on actually stored anything I tought that the console did it.

And thanks amir for the news!!! Only one question comes to my mind, would there be possible to download it and burn it, or that's out of the queestion for tomorrow and would have to wait for say, days or so to actually do it??

Thanks!!!

Boldly go.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

It is my pleasure to let you all know that the HD DVD udpate for Xbox 360 is slated for release on 5/15 (i.e. tomorrow!). So when you wake up in the morning, you should be able to upgrade your software. And me free from telling you when are going to get it . Hope you all download it and provide feedback on what you think!

And sorry I did not give more of a notice. I was out on the cruise and only now got around to getting the specific time/date for it.

Good news Amir, I'm excited about this and I don't even own an XBox 360 yet. Any word on when MS will be releasing their own HD DVD solution for Vista Media Center x64?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #4623 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Amir,

I have a question about the update (thanks for getting it to us, btw!).
Supposedly there will be a way to toggle DRC on/off (for DD+ only? or for TrueHD as well?), as well as a re-sample to DD or DTS option.

Where will these options appear for us to access? In the Dashboard?

No, in the player software itself. Accessible by pressing the "Display" button with the remote, or hitting "start" or "B" on the gamepad and selecting "Advanced"
Quote:

And are there any other changes besides the below?
-Fixing a/v sync issues
-Fixing disc read/ compatibility issues with various discs
-Adding DRC/Night Mode toggle option
-Adding option to select DTS versus DD for audio re-sampling output

Thanks!

Yes, there are many more changes than those, most, however, not customer facing. One of the UI changes is the addition of a network settings dialog, and adding UI for buttons that the remote doesn't have (like Angle and Subtitles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Is part of the 360 HD DVD update a firmware update?
post #4625 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

No, in the player software itself. Accessible by pressing the "Display" button with the remote, or hitting "start" or "B" on the gamepad and selecting "Advanced"

hopefully not too rediculous a question...will the hd dvd add-on retain in memory the last chosen option, or will one have to toggle said switch before each and every movie session?
post #4626 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Thanks Roger for the answer and the white paper
post #4627 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 PM

will the Nine Inch Nails TrueHD track be fixed?

Why can't i list my equipment here?
post #4628 of 4841 Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01 View Post

will the Nine Inch Nails TrueHD track be fixed?

And Poseidon? For some reason, the Dolby TrueHD tracks on those movies have terrible popping and other problems when played through the HD DVD add on.......hopefully this update fixes that issue.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #4629 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith View Post

Any chance we will see PC video capture cards/devices based on WMV/VC-1?

I think Inlet (www.inlethd.com) and Digital Rapids (www.digital-rapids.com) have both done some work on hardware solutions that capture to WMV9/VC-1, though I'm not sure whether they're capturing uncompressed YUV and transcoding on the fly (with DSPs) or actually capturing directly to VC-1.

I don't think a consumer priced PCI card for capturing to VC-1 exists at this point.

Quote:

MPEG-2 analog hardware encoding and ATSC TS stream capture have been the norm for 3-4 years now in the HTPC space. And there are a few MPEG-4/DIVX capture cards.

MPEG-2 encoding is not as computationally intensive as VC-1 and H.264 so I imagine we might have to wait a little before those become common. Also, it's demand that drives the market. Those interested in analog to digital video capture might prefer lossless YUV capture. HTPC environments (such as MCE) are moving away from analog TV to digital TV so there'll be less need for analog capture cards as we move forward.
post #4630 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

It is my pleasure to let you all know that the HD DVD udpate for Xbox 360 is slated for release on 5/15 (i.e. tomorrow!). So when you wake up in the morning, you should be able to upgrade your software. And me free from telling you when are going to get it . Hope you all download it and provide feedback on what you think!

And sorry I did not give more of a notice. I was out on the cruise and only now got around to getting the specific time/date for it.

Dear Amir,

Thanks, great work and thanks for your trouble in keeping us updated.

My Samsung M86 1080p TV accepts 1920x1080 from PC but not from my Xbox 360, is this due to Horiz / Vert Freq or Pixel Clock Freq?
The TV takes the following:

Res: 1920 x 1080
H Freq: 66.537 kHz
V Freq: 59.934 kHz
Pixel Clock Freq: 138.500

As the TV works with a PC, Samsung don't feel they have to change anything, and the Elite is not released in the UK til November, I have the HD DVD player, but am missing out on 1080p for both HD & SD DVDs as i am forced to use component.

Can you offer any advice / thoughts?

Regards

GL
post #4631 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 AM

Hi Amir

Please send my thanks to the hd-dvd team at microsoft.
The audio update installed successfully on my xbox360 and everything appears to be working.

I have to admit, the updated UI is flawed.
Who decided to hide the audio settings in the software player?

Surely it would make more sense to have them in the settings blade like all the other settings on my xbox - after all, it is the metaphor that microsoft has already established - so no reason to break it. Even system-wide preferences for menu audio are ignored in the hd-dvd software!
This decision has complicated the user experience and I would appreciate it if you could pass this observation along.

My copy of King Kong has never sounded as good as it does today but when changing the audio output from dolby digital 5.1 to dts while playing the main feature, i notice a significant drop in volume and also a noticeable lack of audio detail.
In my general experiences of dts and my understanding that the bitrate of the dolby output is lower, I would have expected this to be the other way round.

Is there a reason why this is happening?
post #4632 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 AM

Pls one important question, the night mode, is it that option that says Digital compresion something?? if so, we should leave it off to avoid the problems that there was in the past rigth??? or is it something else???

Thanks!

Boldly go.....
post #4633 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 AM

I'll auto reply to myself, indedd, leaving it off kills the nigth mode.

But the funny part is this.

I enabled the DTS option, and used movies that actually had 1.5 Mbps tracks, like Superman Retunrs, Alexander, Enemy at the Gates, and such, and man, having that nigth thingy off, makes is sound brutal, BUT in DD. When I swich to DTS I get a more soft track, like if the nigth mode was on (wich is not).

Really weird, but after testing it, I 'll keep the DD option over the DTS (I have a Yamaha 6.1 A/V so I'm guessing is not that) and without the nigth mode on, I'm more than happy.

Silly, that after all this time, DTS doesn't meet with wht I wanted, but DD makes the trick.

Boldly go.....
post #4634 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 AM

Hi Amirm/microsoft insider,

I have noticed on the UK AV forums as well as these forums that, after the HD-DVD update, people are expriencing inferior quality sound from the DTS output option rather than the DD option. Some are saying it sounds soft and muffled. Can you confirm if there is another 'issue' with the audio ?

Another quick question, please do not take this question as an insult....but when the audio patch was finished did someone actually take time to listen to the two output options and compare DD v DTS ? If yes what did they find ?

I have yet to test the patch so I am unable to confirm that I have the same problems that others are having.

Thanks.
post #4635 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone possibly answer, why oh why, has neither firmware V1.3 or V1.5 been released to the Australian market yet? I was one of the lucky several, that was able to get one of the first players in the initial small shipment that was allocated to our fair shores. The current (till May 31st) supplier has absolutely no idea that firmware even exists past V1.2. They have tried to ask Toshiba, but like when I call, they too get bounced around departments with verbal blank stares.

Is it really that hard to upload the firmware, for our revision of the HD-E1, on the server that the player is set to search from so we can download it?

I'd love to be able to playback some of the problem discs known to be fixed with the updates.

Packet of Tim Tams for any insider that can leave a shoe up the arse of Toshiba to get this done ASAP... payable on visit to Australia...
post #4636 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

And Poseidon? For some reason, the Dolby TrueHD tracks on those movies have terrible popping and other problems when played through the HD DVD add on.......hopefully this update fixes that issue.

Beside you in time DTS-HD track now works great, even the audio calibration on the NIN HD-DVD works now when set to DTS-HD.

However, it still outputs the signal as DD 5.1, not DTS like Amir stated was possible. I'm wondering if I missed an option somewhere, I didn't have much time this morning to check it out, though...

South Jersey Region SCCA
http://www.proitseries.com/
post #4637 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 AM

Another one for paidgeek

I have heard that the current version on the Fifth Element has "officially been discontinued" with the new version due to ship as of Juy 17. I have also heard that retailers will sell through their current stock.

Living in Australia and relying on internet mail order for my discs, is there any way to differentiate this new version from the old one? I usually order from Amazon, but who knows what their stock levels are like and if I order after that date I would have no idea which version I would get (and if they have a huge stock level this could be the case for months).

Will this re-release get a proper new release ie new coverart or some remastered banner or an entirely new sku or am I stuck with pot luck. I have held off on this release in the hopes of getting a remaster.

One other question, is a remaster for House of Flying Daggers in the works at all.

I have kept my questions to Sony releases as I am aware this is your area of expertise.

Thanks for your time.

Momaw
post #4638 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 AM

MS Guys,
The 360 update is working as expected when playing a HD-DVD. I can switch between DD, DTS and WMA Pro with the receiver recognizing all three and switching automatically. The update has not enabled WMA Pro output when playing video downloads from the hard drive or when playing Microsoft demo videos from my newly installed Windows Home Media Server. I know the MS demo material can output WMA Pro because it does when I play it through my HTPC. I do have the DD plus WMA Pro output enabled on the Console Settings in the System blade. Apparently it is still not functioning as expected. Will this be fixed in the 2008 Spring update?

John
post #4639 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

amir/ben/andy:

will we ever see a bitrate meter for the hd dvd addon player? i don't understand why many bd players have this feature yet we see it nowhere on the hd dvd side.

i know that it is generally only something that geeks are interested in, but nonetheless, it seems simple enough to implement

TIA

btw, great job on the update for the hd dvd addon player...i think you should make the update take much longer to "download/install" ... it was too fast and didn't feel commensurate with how long many waited for it to be available
post #4640 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Amir (or any other HD-DVD insider)

Big Sopranos fan and very pleased to see Michael Imperioli selected as a HD-DVD spokesman. Can you share any other tidbits as to why/how this selection occured? Is he really a big hi-def fan? (I'll leave the fancy questions re: codecs and such to smarter people than myself!)
post #4641 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Amir,

I have a question about the update (thanks for getting it to us, btw!).
Supposedly there will be a way to toggle DRC on/off (for DD+ only? or for TrueHD as well?), as well as a re-sample to DD or DTS option.

Where will these options appear for us to access? In the Dashboard?

And are there any other changes besides the below?
-Fixing a/v sync issues
-Fixing disc read/ compatibility issues with various discs
-Adding DRC/Night Mode toggle option
-Adding option to select DTS versus DD for audio re-sampling output

Thanks!

I put some info on my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/andypennell/ar...available.aspx but the answer is Yes to everything. Well except the options are in the Player, not the Dashboard.

HD DVD Veteran
post #4642 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_H View Post

However, it still outputs the signal as DD 5.1, not DTS like Amir stated was possible. I'm wondering if I missed an option somewhere, I didn't have much time this morning to check it out, though...

I think you missed the option: pop up the Player UI and choose Audio Options.

HD DVD Veteran
post #4643 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

ms insiders:

any word on shawshank redemption? have the MS folks seen/worked with this title yet?
post #4644 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_H View Post

Beside you in time DTS-HD track now works great, even the audio calibration on the NIN HD-DVD works now when set to DTS-HD.

Yeah, you missed the option. While the movie is playing, press the "Display" button on the remote and choose "Digital Audio Settings" (or something like that) and then choose you audio option.
post #4645 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Think this was asked, but couldn't find a responce. Once we set the add on to the new setting (such as DTS or WMA pro) do we have to change it each time we watch something? Or does it save the setting?

Thank you BTW. All of you insiders are great to have here and this makes for an extremely interesting thread.
post #4646 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomster View Post

Think this was asked, but couldn't find a responce. Once we set the add on to the new setting (such as DTS or WMA pro) do we have to change it each time we watch something? Or does it save the setting?

Thank you BTW. All of you insiders are great to have here and this makes for an extremely interesting thread.

Boomster - I am not an insider, and it can be a bit taboo answering questions around here I think if your not, but this seems simple enough. Your settings appear to stick. I was swapping a few disks in and out this morning and once I set DTS I verified it on my reciever while switching disks out because I had the same concern as you.
post #4647 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell View Post

I put some info on my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/andypennell/ar...available.aspx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pennell, in his blog View Post

My workmate Raj spent an inordinate amount of time on audio/video sync issues, the most famous being the hammer scene in Batman Begins. That, plus every other reported sync issue has been addressed with this update: critical measurements indicate we have a closer AV sync than another other player.

How much of an audio lag remains, in terms of actual measurements? How much was there before?

I note that in most scenes now the sync seems near perfect (whereas before the update, the audio lag was huge and drove me up the wall).

However, I also note that on Fearless, the sync in the drum scene (00:01:31 on the HD DVD side) is ever-so-slightly different when you compare the HD DVD side vs. the DVD side, with the HD DVD's audio being very, very slightly behind.

Could this be a manifestation to the extremely-close-but-not-100%-bang-on status for the HD DVD player after the update, or could it be due to authoring issues of the disc itself?

Nonetheless, I'm quite pleased with this update. Thanks for all the hard work. Now I can go ahead and order that Matrix Trilogy set I've been drooling over.
post #4648 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Amir and other HD DVD insiders..

The HD DVD update is working perfect for me.

Thank you.
post #4649 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post

I think Inlet (www.inlethd.com) and Digital Rapids (www.digital-rapids.com) have both done some work on hardware solutions that capture to WMV9/VC-1, though I'm not sure whether they're capturing uncompressed YUV and transcoding on the fly (with DSPs) or actually capturing directly to VC-1.

I don't think a consumer priced PCI card for capturing to VC-1 exists at this point.

MPEG-2 encoding is not as computationally intensive as VC-1 and H.264 so I imagine we might have to wait a little before those become common. Also, it's demand that drives the market. Those interested in analog to digital video capture might prefer lossless YUV capture. HTPC environments (such as MCE) are moving away from analog TV to digital TV so there'll be less need for analog capture cards as we move forward.

Alex,

Thanks for your reply and your participation here!

Plextor has consumer usb/pci products that analog capture to DivX/MPEG-4 for several years now. In my experience, the playback quality is on par or just slightly below MPEG-2 DVD profile analog capture, but the file size is ~30% smaller.

I was under the impression from Amir that VC-1 encoding is near real-time now, and that happening with a significantly higher source bitrate than NTSC analog capture or ATSC stream capture?

I guess I'm just surprised to not see VC-1/WMV video capture in the consumer HTPC space, with as much as Microsoft has to put into growing the MCE branding.
post #4650 of 4841 Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have to admit, the updated UI is flawed.
Who decided to hide the audio settings in the software player?

Surely it would make more sense to have them in the settings blade like all the other settings on my xbox - after all, it is the metaphor that microsoft has already established - so no reason to break it. Even system-wide preferences for menu audio are ignored in the hd-dvd software!
This decision has complicated the user experience and I would appreciate it if you could pass this observation along.

If these setting were in the system blade then users would have to stop playing the movie to exit and change them right?

With the audio settings implemented in the player it's easier to change audio settings on the fly which is very helpful.

I heard the difference very clearly just playing the hd-dvd preview trailers at the beginning of the movies. Props to the hd dvd, codec & Xbox teams.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page