How bad is the LG Combo $1,199 price tag is to single format players? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, LG is putting the price tag of $1,199 to its BD-HD DVD combo player. Assuming that they are capable of doing volume production, which players would suffer the most because of the combo player price tag which is cheaper than the Panasonic BD and Pioneer Elite players at $1,300 and $1,500 respectively?

Will LG sell more players than the rest of the BDA CEs (as they currently face no competition at all combo player wise) and achieve economy of scale faster than the rest of the BD CEs (as the former will be competing against each other and share the BD only standalone player market)?

Will this put a stop on BD player purchase assuming, the LG player delivering the similar or on par PQ and AQ with the rest of the players? Who will buy a BD player at $1000 when they can throw in another $200 and get a combo players.

(this will only have minor effect HD A2 and HD A20 as the player are priced 1/2 as the LG players)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

It's a Goldstar. Who would pay $1200 for a Goldstar?
post #3 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5555sim View Post

Okay, LG is putting the price tag of $1,199 to its BD-HD DVD combo player. Assuming that they are capable of doing volume production, which players would suffer the most because of the combo player price tag which is cheaper than the Panasonic BD and Pioneer Elite players at $1,300 and $1,500 respectively?

Will LG sell more players than the rest of the BDA CEs (as they currently face no competition at all combo player wise) and achieve economy of scale faster than the rest of the BD CEs (as the former will be competing against each other and share the BD only standalone player market)?

Will this put a stop on BD player purchase assuming, the LG player delivering the similar or on par PQ and AQ with the rest of the players? Who will buy a BD player at $1000 when they can throw in another $200 and get a combo players.

(this will only have minor effect HD A2 and HD A20 as the player are priced 1/2 as the LG players)

I think you got it all wrong. The real question is, at this price, wouldn't you be better off with an HD-A2, and one of the forthcoming 2G BD players (that are reported to go anywhere between $499-699 MSRP).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

... Who will buy a BD player at $1000 when they can throw in another $200 and get a combo players...

$1000? I think you need to check current prices ... and likely wait for some BD player announcements from CES.
post #5 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Plus there are Blu Ray players currently priced at 569 at Amazon (Samsung) and more cheaper ones coming. 1000 isnt even close to your only BD option.
post #6 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post

I think you got it all wrong. The real question is, at this price, wouldn't you be better off with an HD-A2, and one of the forthcoming 2G BD players (that are reported to go anywhere between $499-699 MSRP).

yes and assuming that 2G players with between $499-699 MSRP will be announced during the CES. The problem with the combination of BD standalone player sales at 25,000 units, how would it possible for the 2nd generation BD players to be priced at $499-699 MSRP, well unless ofcouse, cheaper built with NO analogue?
post #7 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it will be to high for most and with the second gen BD players coming pepole will get one or the other or both.

Although $500 for a movie player is still a lot of money, many did not spend that much on thei TVs, DVD players will still win over all for many years to come.

I've got a A1 now and at some point ill get a Ps3 and/or a BD player. I don't think ill ever get a combo player, (at least not until one format loses and the loseing format is just a "exta" on the player, but that will not be until generation 4-5 I don't think)
post #8 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Plus there are Blu Ray players currently priced at 569 at Amazon (Samsung) and more cheaper ones coming. 1000 isnt even close to your only BD option.

the Samsung player is a discontinued first gen player which Samsung, after failing to sell the players to the Americans, attempted to sell the same players to the Japanese, then the Australians and finally the Europeans. Noted that that I dont include A1 or XA1 in my initial post
post #9 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think anyone considering the Pioneer Elite would be in consideration of anything by LG, unfortunately. I think the Panasonic also has more name panache than LG, but they would/should definitely be wanting to lower the price of their 2G model.

At this point, the only dual format player I would consider would be from the likes of Denon (in the same market as the Pio Elite) and hopefully that would do SACD and DVD-audio, too.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #10 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=homerx]Although $500 for a movie player is still a lot of money, many did not spend that much on thei TVs, DVD players will still win over all for many years to come.

QUOTE]

who out there has spent less than 500 dollars on an HDTV. If you have an HDTV then you probably are gonna be interested in spending the money on a good player.
post #11 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

As a "Senior Member" I would have thought you would have picked up some info along the way, that shows you that LG is a good electronics company, and more specifically, an innovative one.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #12 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
That's Lucky Goldstar to you, Mister!!

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #13 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the Samsung player is a discontinued first gen player which Samsung, after failing to sell the players to the Americans, attempted to sell the same players to the Japanese, then the Australians and finally the Europeans. Noted that that I dont include A1 or XA1 in my initial post

What I find funny is that you discount the Samsung as a 1G unit, yet in your initial post you are comparing to the more expensive 1G units from Pioneer and Panasonic.

So, when it illustrates your flawed point, it's ok to compare to 1G units. When it doesn't, then it's not ok.

Believe what you want to believe, but I think most people see right through you on this (especially given your posting history).
post #14 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What I find funny is that you discount the Samsung as a 1G unit, yet in your initial post you are comparing to the more expensive 1G units from Pioneer and Panasonic.

So, when it illustrates your flawed point, it's ok to compare to 1G units. When it doesn't, then it's not ok.

Believe what you want to believe, but I think most people see right through you on this (especially given your posting history).

What ever suits you. the Pioneer and Panasonic players are just launched and are not discontinued as the Samsung player. Try to be more honest when making post especially when you are accusing others of deliberately making 'flawed' post. If you think the thread topic is not worth discussing, please feel free to pick other threads that are worth your time.
post #15 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

As a "Senior Member" I would have thought you would have picked up some info along the way, that shows you that LG is a good electronics company, and more specifically, an innovative one.

LG = Goldstar
post #16 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What ever suits you. the Pioneer and Panasonic players are just launched and are not discontinued as the Samsung player. Try to be more honest when making post especially when you are accusing others of deliberately making 'flawed' post. If you think the thread topic is not worth discussing, please feel free to pick other threads that are worth your time.

Ok, I'll play along with your whole "discontinued" cop-out.

Isn't the Toshiba XA2 $1,000 MSRP? That's not discontinued. What does the LG unit mean in terms of that?

What happened here is that you had good intentions with your thread title, but then went on to single out the higher priced BD 1G units in relation to the LG unit. Some people have called you out on it, and now you are in spinning it.

Do you really think that the 1G units from Panasonic, Pioneer, & Sony are going to be the only units from those companies well into 2007?

Give it up.
post #17 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, I'll play along with your whole "discontinued" cop-out.

Isn't the Toshiba XA2 $1,000 MSRP? That's not discontinued. What does the LG unit mean in terms of that?

What happened here is that you had good intentions with your thread title, but then went on to single out the higher priced BD 1G units in relation to the LG unit. Some people have called you out on it, and now you are in spinning it.

Do you really think that the 1G units from Panasonic, Pioneer, & Sony are going to be the only units from those companies well into 2007?

Give it up.

the XA2, Philips and Sony BD players are in the same ship as the Pioneer and Panasonic .. satisfied ?

on your second query, i do no think Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony will stick ONLY to their 1Gen players in 2007 as Pioneer would most probably announcing HD DVD support in 2007.
post #18 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the XA2, Philips and Sony BD players are in the same ship as the Pioneer and Panasonic .. satisfied ?

Kind of satisfied, yes. Thanks for your concern.

Now you and I can leave this thread to those who are going to come in here and defend certain players because they offer premim performance to the LG combo unit.

Again, as per my original point. I obviously haven't seen the LG unit perform yet, but @ $1,200, I still think someone would be better off with two optimized 2G players from each format, which will wind up costing about the same. I understand I'm making a bit of a generalization here.
post #19 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 AM
nyg
AVS Forum Special Member

$1200 huh? Not quite as much as I expected but still overpriced IMO, especially for an LG. Still it will be interesting to see how many people actually buy this and it's possible effect on the format war.
post #20 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Kind of satisfied, yes. Thanks for your concern.

Now you and I can leave this thread to those who are going to come in here and defend certain players because they offer premim performance to the LG combo unit.

Again, as per my original point. I obviously haven't seen the LG unit perform yet, but @ $1,200, I still think someone would be better off with two optimized 2G players from each format, which will wind up costing about the same. I understand I'm making a bit of a generalization here.

you are most welcome

yes .. some would most probably defend the players as though the players are their parents and some of them do not even have the player that they are defending

the Samsung second generation player is speculated to be priced at $499 and with the HD A20 1080p priced at $599, add the two together, the price would still be only $1,199 ... .. so lets wait and see if consumers will greet the LG players as their girl friends into their house or as their girl friends' parents ...
post #21 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

The early reports is that it isn't that great at either format, and that it's only HDMI 1.2, and according to Gizmodo it doesn't support all the iHD features
post #22 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We will have to see it to answer the OP's questions.

If it turns out to be the best of both formats, it will sell at the high end, but probably not make a huge difference in the format war.

If it turns out to be a "jack of all trades/master of none" piece, then it will probably not sell very much at all.

I am always skeptical of "all-in-ones". It is like the combination printer/scanner/fax that does a poor job at all three.
post #23 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it isn't "Goldstar" anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

This sort of mindset is the same as saying the Japanese still only make cheap transistor radios.

Dude, wake up and smell the 21st century.
post #24 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

LG = Goldstar

They haven't used that name on branded AV stuff in a decade (they still use it for cheap kitchenware). Companies change a lot in a decade. Samsung Electronics 10 years ago was known for quality RAM, but not much else. Now they've dethroned Sony as #1 in CE. Who would have bet on that? ValuJet was known principally for the worst safety record in the biz 10 years ago. Now, AirTran has about the newest fleet out there and a very good safety record. 10 years ago the thought of MS making serious hardware was laughable, and taking on home gaming giant Nintendo? Unthinkable! Anyway, you get the idea.

The company's name and brand is LG. Calling it anything else is just FUD, unless you are talking about a microwave oven?
post #25 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

This sort of mindset is the same as saying the Japanese still only make cheap transistor radios.

It doesn´t matter what the name is. What is important here is, this is a first.

From now on, other companies will have to do combi HD/BD players as well. LG has broken the ice, and the rest will have to follow, othervise they will sell zero players.

Or.??
post #26 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Responding to the topic, though, I am in the market for a combo player. I don't care who makes it, I'm not paying more for an HD player than I could pay for two separates. That's just ridiculous.
post #27 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post

Responding to the topic, though, I am in the market for a combo player. I don't care who makes it, I'm not paying more for an HD player than I could pay for two separates. That's just ridiculous.

The $1199.00 is MSRP I believe and I suspect that you'll be able to purchase it at a much lower price ie: $800.00 months after it's release. Especially if and when other companies follow suit.

Heck, they're the first out the gate with the combo player and that's definitely got my interest! Depending on the initial reviews, I just may take the plunge. Though, I can't think of too many Blu-Ray disks that I really want right now.

For what it's worth, LG is huge in Europe, Middle East and Far East. They make really solid products.

My 2cents.
post #28 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

LG = Goldstar

Originally, yes, but he was putting them down in his post.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #29 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Thank you, finally someone with some intelligence in this thread.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #30 of 64 Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

I will say that my experience with LG since the switchover has been strictly with their phones, and those have been crap. My next phone was a Samsung that I have been very pleased with.

LG seems to be more the RCA, while Samsung is definately the Sony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page