Studio (Fox) Research Shows BD Vastly Outpacing HD DVD (chart) - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 162 Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ktak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post

4) 2006 guy has a DVD recorder, in 2006 US/CANADA they still need the DVD recorder but BD recorders have already been anounced and once out the BD recorder can replace the DVD recorder and all will work as before.

In Japan they're already here. In fact, Sony and Panasonic are ONLY selling BD recorders at this time. But then again, optical disc video recorders have always been more popular here than in the U.S.
Ktak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wnorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktak View Post

In Japan they're already here. In fact, Sony and Panasonic are ONLY selling BD recorders at this time. But then again, optical disc video recorders have always been more popular here than in the U.S.

I have trouble believing that statement. Sony and Panny are only selling $700 BD recorders and not offereing consumers ANY competitively priced ($50-$75) DVD recorders.

If that is the case, Sony and Panny just found another way to loose some money.

I also know that Sony still sells the DRU-700 DVD+-RW drive, as it is available from many Japanese online retailers.
wnorris is offline  
post #153 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Paul_Seng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Orlando,FL, USA
Posts: 3,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, put it this way. Not everybody is going to opt for the new technology in their car and portable stereos. CD drives will be made because of just that (unless the blue laser goes into $29 portable players).

Paul Seng
Paul_Seng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hdkhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktak View Post

Since I'm pretty sure CE manufacturers don't get together and decide "OK guys on January 1, 2007 we're all going to stop making CD burners!" It's unrealistic to think that production would just come to a halt. But as a breed, its days are numbered as WickyWoo's Newegg reference demonstrates.

Also, I don't get the point of the last part of this paragraph. The analogy you're making refers to different "brands." Weren't we talking about different "formats?"



Would I buy a more expensive CD player over a cheaper DVD player? Yes I would if the CD player sounds better with my audio CDs. Hasn't it occurred to you that maybe CD players still exist because they serve a fundamentally different purpose than DVD players? This is the point I was trying to make in my last post. Not everyone watches TV and movies and listens to music in the same room. I live in a relatively small (by western standards) home in Japan and even I have a separate dedicated audio only set-up in my home office. Just because a DVD player CAN play CDs doesn't mean it can do it as well as a dedicated CD player. On the other hand most HD disc players (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) playback standard DVD better than their SD counterparts.

And maybe 2012 is the deadline for analog broadcast shut-off in Australia, but in the U.S. it will be just over 2 years from now, on February 2009. So for at least a couple hundred million Americans, the incentive to upgrade TVs to digital capabillity will be here before you know it.

The point of the different brands was merely to highlight the flaw in your argument. You were saying that you can tell a format has basically stopped production by comparing the number of available models vs another format. You can do the same thing with say compact point and shoot vs digital SLR or any other comparo. It would have been more pertinent to point out that the ratio of CD burners to DVD burners is continually declining and that is an indicator of DVD burners being more popular, not an indicator of CD burners being basically no longer produced.

Second of all, I apologise I did not put enough restrictions on the CD vs DVD player buying example (like pricing and quality). Economies of scale can determine the pricing of a product. Just because a product is priced higher does not equate to it being more performant... i.e. a CD player does not necessarily sound better than a DVD player at the same price. Witness the Toshiba HD-A1 which many have compared favourably in CD playback against CD only decks costing more than 4 times the price. So for those people, wouldn't it make sense for them to pick up the HD-DVD player for CD playback only duty? Why haven't more people done this? Should a person pay more simply because they don't want video playback capability, nobody has forced them to use the video playback capability, so why not just go for the better value and not make use of one of the features?

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
hdkhang is offline  
post #155 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ktak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

I have trouble believing that statement. Sony and Panny are only selling $700 BD recorders and not offereing consumers ANY competitively priced ($50-$75) DVD recorders.

If that is the case, Sony and Panny just found another way to loose some money.

I also know that Sony still sells the DRU-700 DVD+-RW drive, as it is available from many Japanese online retailers.

By BD recorders, I was referring to home set-top recorders, not PC BD burners. Isn't that what AnthonyP was referring to in his post that I was replying to? Both Panasonic and Sony still make PC DVD burners, although the DRU-700 is discontinued (it was their first generation dual-layer burner).
Ktak is offline  
post #156 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hdkhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

You're confused. You're comparing an audio format (Compact Disc/CD) to a video format (Digital Video/Versatile Disc/DVD). It kind of makes sense they'd still make CD players because CD is still a very popular format.

OTOH, it's highly unlikely CE manufacturers would continue to release DVD-only devices if Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD were to start taking a majority of the video sales away from DVD. It's more likely we'd see combo DVD/BD or DVD/HD DVD units.

I don't really see what's so hard to understand about this. Consumers will want it because of the "Value-add" of backwards compatibility with DVD, and manufacturers will want it because it simplifies their inventory and production. Physical stores will want it because it lets them phase out space that was formerly set aside for DVD players to be used to promote BD or HD DVD. It's win-win-win.

Can a DVD player not playback an audio CD? Do DVD players treat CDs differently than does a CD player? I guess some BD supporters might like to make this distinction due to some BD players being unable to playback CD's, but this will change and I hope no more BD players are produced that lack this capability.

Basic premise of the argument is that you get more for less, so even if you don't fully utilise the capabilities it still works out to be a better value yet the worse value product still exists. The discussion begun with the notion that 2012 manufacturers will no longer build DVD playback devices because a BD deck can do all of what DVD can do and more (opinion stated as fact). This says to me that DVD players may still exist in 2012 despite BD decks having DVD playback capabilities.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
hdkhang is offline  
post #157 of 162 Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pcrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktak View Post

Would I buy a more expensive CD player over a cheaper DVD player? Yes I would if the CD player sounds better with my audio CDs. Hasn't it occurred to you that maybe CD players still exist because they serve a fundamentally different purpose than DVD players? This is the point I was trying to make in my last post. Not everyone watches TV and movies and listens to music in the same room..

Oh you reminded my of one of worst errors ever in selling off my beloved Yamaha CD changer becasue I thought an "all in one DVD/CD changer" (by Sony no less) would better fit my bill. Sold the Yammy and then bought the DVD changer

When I heard the AQ I wanted to cry. When I saw the PQ I wanted to cry. It did neither job well. Ugh.... I wish I could have my Yammy back....

pcrx is offline  
post #158 of 162 Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
K.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the price of BD drives goes down near the current price of DVD drives it becomes trivial if it's BD or DVD.
K.L. is offline  
post #159 of 162 Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I have trouble believing that statement. Sony and Panny are only selling $700 BD recorders and not offereing consumers ANY competitively priced ($50-$75) DVD recorders.

You can't buy a DVD recorder for that at retail here, definately not in Japan were everything is more expensive

Sony did sell the PS2/DVD recorder/Tivo hybrid the PSX for awhile, but people didn't really go for them at all.

BD-recordable has been available in Japan for years
WickyWoo is offline  
post #160 of 162 Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nataraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 7,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktak View Post

And maybe 2012 is the deadline for analog broadcast shut-off in Australia, but in the U.S. it will be just over 2 years from now, on February 2009. So for at least a couple hundred million Americans, the incentive to upgrade TVs to digital capabillity will be here before you know it.

Thats if if it is not postponed again

BTW, there are about 135M households in the US. Some 31M have HDTVs already. That leaves 100M ...

Most of them get TV thr' cable or sat.
nataraj is offline  
post #161 of 162 Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
WickyWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figure I saw in an article on the turnoff said approx 85% of the US has some form of pay TV

However, it seems that they're trying to force the analog off on cable as well

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/12...lecard-appeal/
WickyWoo is offline  
post #162 of 162 Old 01-12-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nataraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 7,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

However, it seems that they're trying to force the analog off on cable as well

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/12...lecard-appeal/

Cable card is a slightly different animal. In any case there is nothing preventing cable & sat set top boxes from providing an anlog output (like composite or even RF).
nataraj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off