Industry Insiders Xbox & Add On and PS3 Q&A thread: : - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I expect a new firmware update coming for the PS3 in the next couple of weeks with several new features and bug fixes. DTS HD MA is not one of them. To my knowledge, it is still being studied.

what is being studied?
if it is necessary or not if of it will be added at all.

all they have to do is look at all the various boards to see it is essential?

also were is sd dvd upconverting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post

what is being studied?
if it is necessary or not if of it will be added at all.

all they have to do is look at all the various boards to see it is essential?

also were is sd dvd upconverting

I think what Sony Computer can see is that many features are essential. They are trying to prioritize each based on complexity and demand...

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #33 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any Microsoft insider here have the Xbox HD DVD drive installed on a PC and can share their experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Amir,

Thanks for your all your input into the Xbox community - it's nice having an Insider who go's out of his way to keep the fans updated.

Anything to report in regards to further resolution support for VGA users? After seeing the difference the expanded reference level has made, I'm even more eager to see what the picture quality is like running natively at 1680x1050. If such an update were to be released would it be a fall update feature or an ad-hoc release like 1080p support?

With the HD-DVD player, have the updates significantly reduced the demand on the CPU or is it still quite high? Have you heard any reports of the unit being more likely to overheat the console rather than standard games?
post #35 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post

Amir,

Thanks for your all your input into the Xbox community - it's nice having an Insider who go's out of his way to keep the fans updated.

My pleasure.

Quote:

Anything to report in regards to further resolution support for VGA users? After seeing the difference the expanded reference level has made, I'm even more eager to see what the picture quality is like running natively at 1680x1050. If such an update were to be released would it be a fall update feature or an ad-hoc release like 1080p support?

All I can tell you is that I am sold on the merits of this feature. Problem is, I don't manage Xbox development. So I have to find out how to bribe the key decision makers there to get the feature in.

Quote:

With the HD-DVD player, have the updates significantly reduced the demand on the CPU or is it still quite high? Have you heard any reports of the unit being more likely to overheat the console rather than standard games?

We did a lot of optimizations in this update. I am not aware of the power consumption being an issue even before this update. I am sure if there were any, I would have been bombarded with it here .
post #36 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked: 2479
paidgeek,

Not to try and put words in your mouth (or Sony's), but do they understand that either getting the audio bitstreams spit out via the HDMI 1.3 protocols or internal full support for DTS-HD and DTS MA decoding is in demand (high demand, actually) whether or not they're complex?

Sony touts the PS3's superlative Blu-ray capabilities in their marketing, but they aren't delivering on their self generated hype. They should either say "sorry, but our PS3 really can't deliver WTW and BTB signals, true 1080p/24 output off the disc, HDMI 1.3 audio output, the new Java features coming in October, and DTS MA support," or they should state "we can do (all or most of) these things with the PS3, no problem, and we'll get right on it because we care about our customers first and foremost."

The longer they drag this out without delivering on these hotly talked about features, the more people will start thinking that we won't be getting these things, or can't because of a hardware deficiency. I'd really like to know myself because I got the PS3 for Blu-ray only, and will unload it to a gamer if the Blu-ray portion is stuck in the past.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #37 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

paidgeek,

Not to try and put words in your mouth (or Sony's), but do they understand that either getting the audio bitstreams spit out via the HDMI 1.3 protocols or internal full support for DTS-HD and DTS MA decoding is in demand (high demand, actually) whether or not they're complex?

Sony touts the PS3's superlative Blu-ray capabilities in their marketing, but they aren't delivering on their self generated hype. They should either say "sorry, but our PS3 really can't deliver WTW and BTB signals, true 1080p/24 output off the disc, HDMI 1.3 audio output, the new Java features coming in October, and DTS MA support," or they should state "we can do (all or most of) these things with the PS3, no problem, and we'll get right on it because we care about our customers first and foremost."

The longer they drag this out without delivering on these hotly talked about features, the more people will start thinking that we won't be getting these things, or can't because of a hardware deficiency. I'd really like to know myself because I got the PS3 for Blu-ray only, and will unload it to a gamer if the Blu-ray portion is stuck in the past.

I think you will find that Sony is conservative about saying they will do something before it can actually be demonstrated.

The PS3 is sold as a gaming device, but in fact, it is one of the best Blu-ray players you can buy and it will get better with firmware updates, firmware updates that are not promised, but will be coming none the less....

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #38 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To the Xbox 360 insiders...

Due to this new "modded Xboxes being banned from Live"... are you against being able to legally back up your games so as the kids don't ruin the original discs... or waiting for a court case in Australia... ala Sony regarding their playstations

ACCC statement on chipped consoles.
post #39 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Amir,

You mentioned that Relentless Enemies required a firmware update to the HD-DVD drive for the 360. I imagine that this means you have it working in a lab somewhere. True?

Is this something that would potentially be done through a download iso only instead of through xbox live due to the risk?

Are there other titles or HD-DVD changes (TL-51) that will require an actual firmware update to the drive instead of a software player update?

Is there any kind of timeline for this firmware update?

Thanks in advance, it's an amazing feeling being able to actually interact with someone from the companies we buy products from.
post #40 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackdowncrash View Post

Amir,

You mentioned that Relentless Enemies required a firmware update to the HD-DVD drive for the 360. I imagine that this means you have it working in a lab somewhere. True?

Actually I did not . All I have said is that it is true that we cannot play this title. However, the investigation still continues as to cause and proper fix.

Quote:

Is this something that would potentially be done through a download iso only instead of through xbox live due to the risk?

Let's wait to see first what the resolution is.

Quote:

Are there other titles or HD-DVD changes (TL-51) that will require an actual firmware update to the drive instead of a software player update?

This being a new format, one can assume that firmware changes may be coming from time to time. After all, there is software in the drive controlling it. But our hope is that this is not a frequent thing.

Quote:

Is there any kind of timeline for this firmware update?

No timeline yet for any changes.

Quote:

Thanks in advance, it's an amazing feeling being able to actually interact with someone from the companies we buy products from.

My pleasure. I wish I could answer more on Xbox matters than I do now.
post #41 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWhoElse View Post

To the Xbox 360 insiders...

Due to this new "modded Xboxes being banned from Live"... are you against being able to legally back up your games so as the kids don't ruin the original discs... or waiting for a court case in Australia... ala Sony regarding their playstations

ACCC statement on chipped consoles.

This is a good time to mention that none of the Microsoft insiders here can answer non A/V related questions in this thread. On that note, HD DVD is region free so wrt to the specific point in this area, no one needs to modify anything .

And along these lines, we definitely believe in managed copy ability for HD DVDs for the purpose you mention and other uses.
post #42 of 70 Old 05-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

This is a good time to mention that none of the Microsoft insiders here can answer non A/V related questions in this thread. On that note, HD DVD is region free so wrt to the specific point in this area, no one needs to modify anything .

And along these lines, we definitely believe in managed copy ability for HD DVDs for the purpose you mention and other uses.

A nice out Amir

Yet, I believe users outside of the US can not download the "free" content on The Matrix HD DVD discs? Seemingly related...
post #43 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 AM

Hi Amir

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I do love a good race!

Do you have any data or point me to any information on how many xbox360 hd-dvd players have been sold to date?
post #44 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Hi Amir

I set the audio to DTS and found that my Onkyo receiver now diplays DTS all the time. Is this normal. Thanks
post #45 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssteve View Post

Hi Amir

I set the audio to DTS and found that my Onkyo receiver now diplays DTS all the time. Is this normal. Thanks

Yes, it is normal. Regardless of what is on the disc, we convert it to DTS (or DD/WMA Pro depending on what choice you have selected).
post #46 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post

Hi Amir

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I do love a good race!

Do you have any data or point me to any information on how many xbox360 hd-dvd players have been sold to date?

No I don't. We don't publish that data. I think it costs the advertisers on various forums a good fortune due to lost traffic arguing about them .
post #47 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM

paidgeek,

Has it been determined if the PS3 is lacking the hardware to send the raw DDTHD and dtsHD-MA bitstream? Sony advertised the PS3 as having HDMI 1.3 in a lot of product literature.

A lot of PS3 users who bought the unit as a relatively future proof Blu-ray player are feeling duped because the HDMI organization was highly touting HDMI 1.3 as carrying the new high resolution audio codec bitstreams and now there are rumors floating around that the only HDMI 1.3 spec the PS3 meets is the ability to do Deep Color.

I would just like to know if SCE is aware that many people assumed the PS3 had this ability and we still have no confirmation if the current hardware will ever be able to do it.

Thanks
Craig
post #48 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello Amirm and all insiders.

One question for Xbox inside that can help, I was reading this page

http://www.digital-digest.com/highdefdvd/faq.html

and saw that xbox 360add on actually could read a disc of 3 layers upt o 40 some gigs.

Is this true??????????

If so, could this be a mayor point to follow up when the more advanced disc show up?? )the 51 Gbs). or could this help into making disc of this size and stop that discussion of 51 yes or 51 no?

I think there isn't much difference from 51 to what it says on this page.

Well, thanks!!

Boldly go.....
post #49 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

paidgeek,

Dan, I really like the part of your post that lists:

WTW and BTB signals,
true 1080p/24 output off the disc,
HDMI 1.3 audio output,
the new Java features coming in October,
and DTS MA support

That is my exact wishlist. I don't know how Sony is researching what the demands are, but I for one have not bought a PS3 yet and am waiting to see about these features before I do.

So Paidgeek, is there a place for me to write to let them know?

L + L = R
post #50 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

It would be nice to have a MC equal for games. I took very good care of my game discs, yet I often have disc unreadable problem in the middle of a game, it would be nice if Xbox can save game progress, and when the disc becomes readable in next try, re-store the game to the point of reading error. Amir, please pass this suggestion to Xbox team. I wrote to them before, but never got a reply.

Now HD DVD addon question, I noticed I couldn't bookmark Planet Earth, but it works for Phantom of Opera, is this an authoring issue ?

Also, can bookmarking be made available on one of HD DVD menus ? Right now it seems only accessible through addon remote control. I don't mind using xbox remote control for playing HD DVD (too many remote controls), but then I couldn't access bookmarking. Thanks.
post #51 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 PM

paidgeek,

There is a growing number of reports of HDMI compatibility issue with the PS3 set at 1080P out for games here on this forum as well as PS3 boards. It seems to work fine for Blu-ray movies, but games at 1080P are producing flickers every 3-5 seconds. So far it seems that Onkyo and Pioneer AVRs are effected by this. I actually had no issues until I had a new HDMI board installed to correct 1080P output issue with the XA2, now the PS3 isn't happy with 1080P games. I can even get [email protected] to start flickering by opening the setup menu....very strange issues....

Is this HDMI compatibility issues on Sony Computer's radar yet?

Are there any specific updates coming to address HDMI compatibility issues with AVRs passing through 1080P?
post #52 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 PM

MS Folks...

I feel like I remember someone saying that there would be a calibration tool released with the spring update. Was there one that I can't find? Will there be one soon? Am I crazy and nothing of the sort has ever been mentioned?

I'd love to calibrate my 1080 monitor on the VGA output!

Thanks.
post #53 of 70 Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Amir,

I've heard you mention that the software for the 360 HD DVD drive resides on the add-on itself. Is there any reason that perhaps the 360 console can cause the add-on to not function properly? The reason I ask is that I have tried my drive with another xbox, and it will play my problem disc fine. However, when I try it on my own console, I always get the 'reading...reading...reading'.

My problem disc is 'the Departed', just in case you were wondering, and I have gone through 3 discs so far and had determined it was the drive...until now?

Thanks,

Cam
post #54 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Amir,

Can you confirm a date when the latest 360 update will appear for download on the Xbox website.It is completely frustrating for those of us unable to connect to the internet,knowing we are unable to enjoy the upgraded audio available.
post #55 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 AM

Paidgeek,

Is there any possibility that Sony is working on allowing the PS3 to output the BD pictures at 720p?
post #56 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron07 View Post

MS Folks...

I feel like I remember someone saying that there would be a calibration tool released with the spring update. Was there one that I can't find? Will there be one soon? Am I crazy and nothing of the sort has ever been mentioned?

I'd love to calibrate my 1080 monitor on the VGA output!

Thanks.

Digital Video Essentials is available on HD DVD now. Maybe that is what you were thinking of?

HD DVD Veteran
post #57 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

First, it seems to me that the 5.1 tracks for HD DVD trailers from The Look and Sound of Perfect website streamed through Windows Media Player 11 and movie trailers from Xbox Live have especially heavy LFE hits. Are you aware of anything in the Xbox 360's decode/mix/encode process that would change LFE gain? Of course, it's possible that these trailer mixes are just LFE-intensive. Am I correct that the native audio codec is WMA?

home_theatre_man -

[I work for Amir and am helping investigate your first issue]

Could you please provide more detail on your setup (type of receiver and connection to Xbox / PC, PC operating system, etc)? I assume your output is WMA Pro over S/PDIF from both PC and Xbox (or is Dolby being output on Xbox)? Specifics on exactly what you tried would help too - the more info the better. You can reply directly to me if you don't want to broadcast this.

So far the Xbox guys aren't aware of anything in the mix/encode process that would cause this, but Amir or I will post back when we know more.

Thanks,

Chad
post #58 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 AM

MS Insider,

I have an elite with the add-on. After the update the sound is just outstanding on HD-DVD's....but....now when I put my normal DVD's in that has DD, the box is only sending a stero signal to my AVR and I do not get DD thus surround sound? Yes the dash is set to DD. Any suggestions?

Isaac
post #59 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Microsoft peoples..../any other insiders who have input

(I've read this post back and I know it sounds whiny you are probably getting hundreds of emails daily [in the corporate sense] saying exactly the same thing.... but it's very frustrating, a candid response from some one would be nice for the billion people over here in Europe + everyone else in the world getting stiffed)

- Is there any news on a Video Marketplace for Europe? There is absolutely nothing in the way of content here.
- Also what is the deal with The Matrix Trilogy and not being able to download the Animatrix here? The HD DVD isn't region restricted and we paid the same amount of money for it.
- Where is the HD DVD love in the UK? We have next to no releases on the horizon. Are there plans to actually do something about this? There are many more Blu-Ray releases. From various UK forums it seems there is a large number of HD DVD addon owners here and we have to import discs. That's do able... but we will only get stung by customs fees so many times before we all start to trail off.
I regard HD DVD as the better format, my friend has a 360 and has just got a HDTV. He's thinking about getting the addon, not one for importing, he is really going to be put-off when he sees the limited number of titles.

Are half of your customers not considered a priority? The issues of territories and licensing are utterly absurd in this day and age. There are people here with money to spend and for some reason it's not wanted. If there is any corporation with enough clout to do something about the situation, it's Microsoft. You probably spend more in a year on R&D than the movie industry makes in profit. How are they giving everyone the run around?
post #60 of 70 Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitzchakis1 View Post

MS Insider,

I have an elite with the add-on. After the update the sound is just outstanding on HD-DVD's....but....now when I put my normal DVD's in that has DD, the box is only sending a stero signal to my AVR and I do not get DD thus surround sound? Yes the dash is set to DD. Any suggestions?

Isaac

The dash board is set to DD, did you set the HD-DVD drives menu? There was a place on there to change your audio output as well.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page