Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread III: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

But, is there potential for some more (minor?) improvement?

There is always room for improvement. As better HDTVs roll out, you'll start noticing various player-induced artifacts -- and the SoC vendors are already working to eliminate them. Plus there is always better scaling, better deinterlacing, etc.
kjack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I would imagine that Sony hasn't paid for or implimented the proper DTS license, and enableing this feature, if physically possible for the unit to do with it's HDMI transmitter chip, would be a violation of their DTS licensing agreement....

Several BD player manufacturers added Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD audio decoding to their players after they were in production.
kjack is offline  
post #273 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Paidgeek,

Is a domestic release of Paprika on the schedule for this year?

Yes, it is being considered for release later this year.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathin25 View Post

Paidgeek

Can you comment on this thread about Children of Men coming to Blu-Ray in Korea?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857666

Do you have any information on this like languages etc?

Thank you so much for your hard work.

-Jim

Sorry, I have no information about this being released in Korea.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #275 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
azmodien's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amir,

Do you find it strange that Planet Earth is the highest selling HD title so far, and the sales for each format have not been announced? Warner released the format specific numbers when 'The Departed' was on top, but omitted any mention of the winning format in this new Planet Earth press release.

If there was ever a good indication of format popularity, this would be it. Since 'The Departed' was less expensive on Blu-Ray, a lot of purchases were made by dual-format owners wanting to save 5 bucks. Planet Earth is one of the only titles that has no advantage whatsoever on either side.
azmodien is offline  
post #276 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
ramzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
To Paidgeek,

Here's a longshot. To my understanding, Sony owns the rights to the Transformers cartoons. Any interest in releasing all the episodes on Blu-ray, perhaps around the same time the new movie hits home video? Also, assuming there is a chance, would it likely be remastered like the original movie was last year?

Thanks
ramzy is offline  
post #277 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Member
 
9158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To Sony insiders:

can the ps3 with fw 1.8 deinterlace 1080i BDs (like concerts and such) to 1080p?

Thanks
9158 is offline  
post #278 of 3651 Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
JackBauer24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: nyc
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paidgeek,

I guess that's a no on Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon Blu ray?
JackBauer24 is offline  
post #279 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,829
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatiusJeebs View Post

hey amir....I'm sure you get asked a million questions and i am only typing this just to make sure it may have been over looked. Is there any word on the Tosh 51 GB disks??

Thanx!

The slow gears of DVD Forum are operating on it . That's all there is to report on it at this point.
amirm is offline  
post #280 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,829
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien View Post

Amir,

Do you find it strange that Planet Earth is the highest selling HD title so far, and the sales for each format have not been announced? Warner released the format specific numbers when 'The Departed' was on top, but omitted any mention of the winning format in this new Planet Earth press release.

If there was ever a good indication of format popularity, this would be it. Since 'The Departed' was less expensive on Blu-Ray, a lot of purchases were made by dual-format owners wanting to save 5 bucks. Planet Earth is one of the only titles that has no advantage whatsoever on either side.

I don't know much about why they disclosed the amount the did, sitting here in China . I suspect though they wanted people to clearly hear their message, rather than fueling the format fight. That is, if you care about selling a lot of titles, the way to do it is to publish on both. That has been their message for a while so from that vantage point, not drilling into other data probably made sense.
amirm is offline  
post #281 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 AM
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,829
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Amir,

I see you quoted in the Broadcom press release, can you give us any details about the announcement discussed here:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856669

What I'm specifically interested in is, is this a Sigma Xcard like product (dedicated video out), or does it work more like a directshow decoder? How does it work with 3rd party apps?

Thanks

It is a clever solution in that it sends its output over PCI-X so your standard graphics card output carries the video just the same (i.e. single connector not two). The third-party players would have to be modified to utilize its decoding capability.
amirm is offline  
post #282 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pteittinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9158 View Post

To Sony insiders:

can the ps3 with fw 1.8 deinterlace 1080i BDs (like concerts and such) to 1080p?

Thanks

I've tested this personally with HD HQV Benchmark disc and can verify that it does not.

I won't pay a cent for UHD Blu-rays made from 2K masters by upscaling.
pteittinen is offline  
post #283 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Ian_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: (Old) Hampshire, UK
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone able to disclose the revision of Sigma chips we're likey to find in the forthcoming updated Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer players or will we have to wait for some brave soul to take pictures? Will the later revisions if used have the horsepower to be potentially upgraded to DTS-HD MA for example?

Also, who writes the advanced audio decoders? It seems a little co-incidental that we're seeing all the Sigma based deisgn players receiving similar audio upgrades in similar timeframes.

Thanks, Ian.
Ian_S is offline  
post #284 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 AM
Member
 
1031982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched The Wicker Man on HD-DVD using the 360, but there was still a slight delay. Not nearly as much as before, but it's there. Any response?

HD DVD - 13
Blu-Ray - 88
1031982 is offline  
post #285 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,098
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Paidgeek, if you get a chance could you look at the new Springsteen Sessions Blu-Ray disk.
I think something is very wrong with this transfer. It seems dark and the focus is very soft.
It does not even look like a HD disk. I had several friends over and I did not even tell them it was a HD disk and they asked why the picture and focus was so bad. When I told them it was a Blu-Ray HD disk they would not believe me until I showed them the disk jacket.

Other reviewers have reported the same issues about this disk.
rwestley is online now  
post #286 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,098
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4316 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Paidgeek,

I know, I know we sound like buzzing hornets about this issue , but is there any new word you can pass along about internal DTS HD and DTS MA decoding in the PS3, and possibly getting HDMI 1.3 audio bitstreaming turned on?

Just read about a new impressively priced Integra pre-amp coming this summer (even has a Silicon Optix Reon video processor and the newest Burr-Brown DAC's-- and balanced XLR audio outputs!) that has me salivating, but I want to know if I can use it to its full potential. Yup, you guessed it: it has internal TrueHD and DTS MA decoding.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #287 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post

Is anyone able to disclose the revision of Sigma chips we're likey to find in the forthcoming updated Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer players or will we have to wait for some brave soul to take pictures?

Sorry, you'll have to wait for some brave souls.

Quote:


Will the later revisions if used have the horsepower to be potentially upgraded to DTS-HD MA for example?

Yes.

Quote:


Also, who writes the advanced audio decoders?

We do...
kjack is offline  
post #288 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
diogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

It is a clever solution in that it sends its output over PCI-X so your standard graphics card output carries the video just the same...

You meant PCI-E, right?
Does this solution have anything in common with the announced Intel Santa Rosa:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-rosa-igp.html
both seem to rely on external hardware decoders, Intel solution just uses its own onboard video.

DIogen.
diogen is offline  
post #289 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Tomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Amir > Do you plan to add the [email protected] feature for the 360 hd-dvd drive ?
Tomeo is offline  
post #290 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Bauer-24 View Post

Paidgeek,

I guess that's a no on Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon Blu ray?


We are checking into it...

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #291 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Paidgeek,

I know, I know we sound like buzzing hornets about this issue , but is there any new word you can pass along about internal DTS HD and DTS MA decoding in the PS3, and possibly getting HDMI 1.3 audio bitstreaming turned on?

Just read about a new impressively priced Integra pre-amp coming this summer (even has a Silicon Optix Reon video processor and the newest Burr-Brown DAC's-- and balanced XLR audio outputs!) that has me salivating, but I want to know if I can use it to its full potential. Yup, you guessed it: it has internal TrueHD and DTS MA decoding.

Sorry, but I do not have any update on this. I would not recommend making purchase decisions based on this as a requirement.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #292 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Paidgeek, if you get a chance could you look at the new Springsteen Sessions Blu-Ray disk.
I think something is very wrong with this transfer. It seems dark and the focus is very soft.
It does not even look like a HD disk. I had several friends over and I did not even tell them it was a HD disk and they asked why the picture and focus was so bad. When I told them it was a Blu-Ray HD disk they would not believe me until I showed them the disk jacket.

Other reviewers have reported the same issues about this disk.

I am getting a copy sent over to check, but an early master I saw was also soft. Let me ask you this... how would you look in HD???

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #293 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy View Post

To Paidgeek,

Here's a longshot. To my understanding, Sony owns the rights to the Transformers cartoons. Any interest in releasing all the episodes on Blu-ray, perhaps around the same time the new movie hits home video? Also, assuming there is a chance, would it likely be remastered like the original movie was last year?

Thanks

I think it is still too early in the format to launch product like this unless it is native HD.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #294 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Member
 
MOrlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

I'm sort of a semi-insider, one could say. I guess.

Anyway, I've just confirmed that PS3 (with firmware 1.80) is unable to deliver compressed DTHD and DTS-HD MA as bitstream over HDMI. Verified this by connecting it to an Onkyo TX-SR605. Onkyo receives a regular DTS stream when PS3 is playing DTS-HD MA, and a 640 kbps Dolby Digital track when disc audio is DTHD.

In the interests of parity, I can also verify that Toshiba XE1/XA2 won't pass the new audio codecs as bitstream either.

Is this fixable by firmware updates on either the XA2 or PS3, or is a problem in the SR605?
MOrlando is offline  
post #295 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,098
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Paidgeek, to answer your question not that great. Having seen other Spingsteen concerts on SD disks including the New York and Barcelona concert I still feel that along with looking soft it also lacks punch and depth. The thing that bothers me the most is that the musicians in the back can hardly be seen on many songs. I guess I was expecting too much. That being said the music and audio are great. Others on different threads have compared this disk to the concert aired on PBS and they say that that one looked much better.
rwestley is online now  
post #296 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 8,605
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrlando View Post

Is this fixable by firmware updates on either the XA2 or PS3, or is a problem in the SR605?

This shouldn't be considered a problem or needing a fix...

Just because a device has an HDMI 1.3 connection, it doesn't have to support all of the available features.

It's like having 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 output... some devices can do it, but it isn't a requirement to do it with an HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 part.

Look at Toshiba's line up, the A2 doesn't do 1080/60p.. for those looking for that extra feature, the need to go with one of the higher end models, and this allows the equipment makers tier their product lines.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #297 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,188
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
paidgeek,

For some reason highdefdigest claimed that the TrueHD track on Stomp the Yard was 16/48, while I believe that it was 20/48. I'm not sure where they are getting their info, but now with Ghost Rider they are again claiming that both the PCM track and TrueHD track are 16/48. Can you tell us what the TrueHD track is on that one? It doesn't seem like it would make any sense to include both unless the TrueHD track is higher than the PCM track.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
darinp2 is offline  
post #298 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

I don't know much about why they disclosed the amount the did, sitting here in China . I suspect though they wanted people to clearly hear their message, rather than fueling the format fight. That is, if you care about selling a lot of titles, the way to do it is to publish on both. That has been their message for a while so from that vantage point, not drilling into other data probably made sense.

Does your being in China have something to do with movies ? I ask as the HD-E1 was just launched in HK to my pleasant suprise, the only downside is that i can't play the SD-DVD on the flipside of combos as its R1, go figure !
So can we expect some distributers here in HK to start launching movies in HD?
Thanks
rover2002 is offline  
post #299 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
paidgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

paidgeek,

For some reason highdefdigest claimed that the TrueHD track on Stomp the Yard was 16/48, while I believe that it was 20/48. I'm not sure where they are getting their info, but now with Ghost Rider they are again claiming that both the PCM track and TrueHD track are 16/48. Can you tell us what the TrueHD track is on that one? It doesn't seem like it would make any sense to include both unless the TrueHD track is higher than the PCM track.

Thanks,
Darin

I confirmed that the DDTHD track was a 20bit source.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
paidgeek is offline  
post #300 of 3651 Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Danny_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paidgeek,

Are there any classic movies (say pre 1980) coming soon from Sony? For instance Taxi Driver (which is getting a new release soon on SD but sadly no word on BD), Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia, Guns Of Navarone, Major Dundee, Das Boot would be titles that I would like to see.

I know lots of classic movie fans who would buy a HD player if the library of classic titles would be a bit bigger. Unfortunately the studios (with the exception of Warner) seem to think that only modern action movies will persuade people to buy into HD.

Thanks.
Danny
Danny_N is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off