Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread III: ONLY Questions to Insiders - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Closed Thread

post #3631 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Amir,

Has there been any thought of allowing users to connect usb hard drives or use our networked storage to expand persistent storage? I assume the players have limited storage and trailers or additional video eats up space quickly. It would be nice to be able to keep the additional content and also share among players on the network. I have 2 A2's and an xbox drive. Why not let the players share what they have stored?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Yes, there is a way to do it but I am not sure it will come to pass.

Every title is able to be updated in the future. A new title from the same studio can look in your machine and update the HDi menus for all the discs you have played. Next time you play that disc, it would look to see if there is an updated HDi application and use that instead.

So the studio would need to rewrite the HDi code for their already released movies to make them ready for this feature. Alas, I don't think they will put resources toward redoing old titles. But if there is enough consumer demand, the technology/platform allows it.

At what point does a new title become an old title and deemed not worthy of devoting resources to updating?

And regarding both formats - would either HDi or BD-J be necessary to create a player that would give 1080p content, lossless audio and start up as quickly as SDVD players, just without the "interactivity"?
post #3633 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post

The decision made by Viacom to take Paramount HD DVD exclusive had little to do with replication concerns or any technical concerns for that matter, that is completely different issue over which I have little inclination to discuss here.

I guess you are stating that it was all about money (or more simply stated, a payoff). I don't know whether money changed hands or not, but I know that the cost of producing BD50 titles was a very big factor in their decision.

Quote:

Yes, in non-Sony/MEI plants the yields for BD-50s are pretty terrible, but many have been open all of 2-3 months compared to Sony's Shizuoka plant which has been doing BD-50 for much longer (pretty much since the birth of the format in the form of PDD, though PDD requires a caddy).

We all know that BD is always going to be a waiting game - it always has been from the start, and new developments are set to make the whole process much quicker, i.e. cut the cycle time by a sizeable amount and hopefully get yields up nearer CD/DVD type levels.

The BD folks have been promising this for a long time and have yet to deliver on this as of yet.

Quote:

What remains to be seen is if these breakthroughs will amount to anything, a lot of people are hopeful.

I'm sure they are, but hope and reality are two different things.

Quote:

What I was trying to get across is that this wasn't an unexpected turn of events.

I disagree with you on this point though. I think they fully expected that by this point their yields would be much higher than they are currently.

Quote:

Also it isn't two lines, it is two facilities, Shizuoka and Terre Haute which supposedly get decent BD-50 yields from Sony.

I agree, I should have been more specific than I was. Point taken.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthomj2 View Post

And regarding both formats - would either HDi or BD-J be necessary to create a player that would give 1080p content, lossless audio and start up as quickly as SDVD players, just without the "interactivity"?

And I'll add a follow-up: Will load times improve going forward as players get higher power processors and/or the code for interactivity is further optimized? Will future players be ready to go as fast as DVDs are today? I know from Amir's posts that immediacy part of his/MS' vision.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #3635 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I guess you are stating that it was all about money (or more simply stated, a payoff). I don't know whether money changed hands or not, but I know that the cost of producing BD50 titles was a very big factor in their decision.

Have your sources indicated if the decision was unanimous of if there were "deciders" who had faith and wanted to hang in there on BD?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #3636 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3493
soon we will send this thread to the AVS Hall of Fame Archives...

and start the Insiders Q&A Thread part 4: going back to the original rules

We welcome new Insiders: PM me

Peace

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #3637 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Have your sources indicated if the decision was unanimous of if there were "deciders" who had faith and wanted to hang in there on BD?

They haven't shared this with me, but rest assured, I doubt they made this decision lightly.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #3638 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you mean, there's an archive?

Thanks Mark for coming back and helping sort things out...

Amir, no doubt you're on a bit of a lag with your travels, but there's a whole heap of questions awaiting some discussion - discussion of the newly announced player (is this the first of the MS/Broadcomm goodness, and if so, can you commment from the MS perspective on what you've seen so far?), Uni's new website (any news on the other studios?), questions about the combo players (I had a few up there, including HDi and those CE manufacturers that are developing their in-house solutions), etc.

Plus, I still want to know what the last film that you industry insiders watched for pleasure. I'd hate for movie watching to be trumped by educating this sorry lot....

post #3639 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

so if Target, or another retailer, refused to accept the deal there might be repurcussions from Sony like either pulling (not likely as that would really look bad) or severely limiting that retailers access to stock, effectively penalizing the retailer financially? Sort of like the "fear of retaliation" from MS that others have thrown out?

Since Sony is one of the largest electronics companies selling in the retail outlets (computers, cameras, video cameras, TVs, DVD/BD players, receivers, speakers, subs, etc. ... you get the picture), that could really "influence" a retailer, couldn't it? From an industry insider's point of view, is this part of the "purchase of an end-cap" scheme?

I'm not an A/V insider, but a former retail insider, so I feel obliged to speak up here. I've never heard of a retailer refusing money for an end-cap (companies buy end-caps for product promotion all the time, i.e. the HD-DVD end-caps at Fry's), so your speculation is simply that. Since Target did not carry any stand-alone HDM players before the end-cap deal, and end-cap money is essentially free money, I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this accusation. Nintendo paid Target for an end-cap display for the Wii, just as they did with Best Buy, Circuit City, and other retailers. Microsoft paid Target for an end-cap display for the Zune player. That's how retail works, and it's not just electronics.

Target is the kind of retailer Sony would rather push more product through, especially HDM players, not less, so penalizing them would only be cutting off their own nose to spite their face (as we say in the South), as Target B&M stores sell very little Sony product to begin with. While this would be the first end-cap deal I've ever seen where it would require the exclusion of another product, it's also a product that Target wasn't carrying in their B&M stores to begin with. Their on-line sales were and are still handled via Amazon.com.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
post #3640 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I realize you just said that this is unlikely to be pass, but I would love, for example, on foreign-language movies like Letters from Iwo Jima that currently place their English subtitles in the black letterbox bar, the ability to download a new English subtitle option that is placed only in the movie image, so that the subs don't get cut off on my 2.35:1 screen.

I agree with this, and would even like to see it taken a step further.

Could subtitles be totally customizable? How about changing the font, color, background transparency, and especially the font size and the position? People with larger screens could easily get by with a small-sized font, while those with smaller screens may want to see them larger.

There could be default settings for those that don't care, but giving everyone an option would a nice benefit.

Scott

post #3641 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Amir,

Thank you again for all you work and effort you put into this forum. Your input as an insider not only is appreciated, but you also educate us about things that other insiders on the blu-ray camp who refuse to talk about publicly.

My question is in regards to the rumors flying around that Studio Canal will be releasing Blu-Ray movies. The blu-ray.com site has it as their big news for the day. Care to comment on this? If I recall correctly, the last time such rumors started spreading around with "photos" of blu-ray covers, the rumor turned out to be incorrect.

For your reference, the blu-ray.com article sites this french site as their source.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?21769

Thank you.
post #3642 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Could subtitles be totally customizable? How about changing the font, color, background transparency, and especially the font size and the position? People with larger screens could easily get by with a small-sized font, while those with smaller screens may want to see them larger.

Certain aspects of the above have already been included in specific Studio Canal HDDVD releases (I believe they were size and location).

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #3643 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar View Post

My question is in regards to the rumors flying around that Studio Canal will be releasing Blu-Ray movies. The blu-ray.com site has it as their big news for the day. Care to comment on this? If I recall correctly, the last time such rumors started spreading around with "photos" of blu-ray covers, the rumor turned out to be incorrect.

I'm not an insider, but I wish to point out that "last time", prebooks, EAN and pricing information were initially issued to retailers for those two BD.

Those titles were subsequently pulled for other reasons and never materialized. But from a retailing point of view, they were dutifully announced and did exist in prebooks for a while before they went "missing".
post #3644 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Thank Amir.

Just wondering, is it possible to support subtitle files (like .SRTs) in a future 360 dash update since its not any sort of official format (not as far as I know)? I'm sure that would be way way way down the list of priorities, assuming its even on the list. So I guess this is more of a hypothetical question.

Though it would be a nice complement to any potential future Xvid/DivX support. well nice for me at least.

Also, do you have any comments on the accuracy of that rumoured list of features for the next Dash update, posted a few pages back?
post #3645 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:

I disagree with you on this point though. I think they fully expected that by this point their yields would be much higher than they are currently.

Dave or any other insider with knowledge,

What is the cost difference for studios producing BD50 titles from BD25, HD30, and HD30 combo titles? If this is one of the major factors contributing to Paramount leaving should this not be a major concern for the BDA with regards to Warner, Disney, Fox, and MGM?
post #3646 of 3651 Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has the BDA constrained (or attempted to ) HD DVD from selling their software or hardware due to contracts with B & M stores or online
business'.

Example BD folks. If Toshiba tried to get a A2 in a Target store this Christmas. Would Target not be able to allow them to place their player in the store due to a contract with ...?

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #3647 of 3651 Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Depends on who you speak to I suppose, but I would prefer we didn't get into that.

Quote:

The BD folks have been promising this for a long time and have yet to deliver on this as of yet.

Patience is a virtue, a lot of people need to learn that. Guinness said it best, "Good things come to those who wait".

Quote:

True.

Quote:

They hoped that yields at non-Sony plants would be much better than they are today, but as you said above, hope and reality are two very different things.

Quote:

I agree, I should have been more specific than I was. Point taken.

No worries.

Again all I am getting at is that expectations are not, how should I put it, a fixed line i.e. y=mx+c, it is a range, and sure the current yields are towards the bottom end of the range, but still well within expectations.
post #3648 of 3651 Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

I'm not an insider, but maybe I can help. Personally I prefer to do the update directly over the Internet connection on my HD DVD player. Assuming that's not convenient for you, you can download an ISO image from the link below and burn your own CD to update your player.

http://www.tacpservice.toshiba.com/C...andnotices.asp

You will need ALL of the following:

1. PC connected to the Internet.
2. CD drive that is capable of reading and writing CD discs.
3. Zip file extraction utility.
4. Recording software installed on your PC that can create a CD from an ISO image file.
5. Blank CD-R or CD-RW disc.

Thanks for the help but that page is for the USA models only. I'm in the UK and have a Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player. Toshiba's customer service is not the best in the world.
post #3649 of 3651 Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw View Post

I'm not an A/V insider, but a former retail insider, so I feel obliged to speak up here. I've never heard of a retailer refusing money for an end-cap (companies buy end-caps for product promotion all the time, i.e. the HD-DVD end-caps at Fry's), so your speculation is simply that. Since Target did not carry any stand-alone HDM players before the end-cap deal, and end-cap money is essentially free money, I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this accusation. Nintendo paid Target for an end-cap display for the Wii, just as they did with Best Buy, Circuit City, and other retailers. Microsoft paid Target for an end-cap display for the Zune player. That's how retail works, and it's not just electronics.

Target is the kind of retailer Sony would rather push more product through, especially HDM players, not less, so penalizing them would only be cutting off their own nose to spite their face (as we say in the South), as Target B&M stores sell very little Sony product to begin with. While this would be the first end-cap deal I've ever seen where it would require the exclusion of another product, it's also a product that Target wasn't carrying in their B&M stores to begin with. Their on-line sales were and are still handled via Amazon.com.

i made no accusation...my way of pointing out the absurdity of some of the conspiracy theories...
post #3650 of 3651 Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post

Excuse me, are you an insider? If not, where are you getting this supposed information about BD yields and Paramount's motives? (Inquiring minds like to know )

If you are an insider, would you be kind enough to register with the mods and make it official, so we can at least have an idea of your affiliations and sources?

Maxpower1987 lists his occupation as student on his AVS member page. AFAIK is an AVS member not an insider.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #3651 of 3651 Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3493
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

soon we will send this thread to the AVS Hall of Fame Archives...

and start the Insiders Q&A Thread part 4: going back to the original rules

We welcome new Insiders: PM me

Peace

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899842

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page