Japanese DVD Forum Conference 10/4/07 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 192 Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

Do you have something to backup your claim? Wasting thread pages for nothing is not constructive.

Here K.L. - straight from the horses mouth. No articles - No BLOGS . . . just pure 100% factual information from the DVD Forum.

Here is the announcement on the Approval for the TL51 and TL Twin:

http://www.dvdforum.org/39scmtg-resolution.htm

ALL the different forms and specifications concerning HD DVD are here:

http://www.dvdforum.org/hddvd-mi.htm

Here is the main site:

http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

The engineering and manufacturing process illiastrated:

http://www.hddvdprg.com/eng/press/to...hddvd_disc.pdf

You need to read ALL the PDF's to understand the entire process of how a new disc or player is approved by the DVD Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI: I'm going to finish translating the rest of the stuff then post a new thread with everything actually in order (instead of haphazardly jumping all over the place). I'm also going to take a stab at the news article itself.
post #183 of 192 Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

FYI: I'm going to finish translating the rest of the stuff then post a new thread with everything actually in order (instead of haphazardly jumping all over the place). I'm also going to take a stab at the news article itself.

Before you knock yourself out doing this . . and many of us REALLY appreciate the work and effort you have put into this . . . .

There is a USA HD DVD Forum meeting tomorrow in CA. It starts at 12 PM EST (9 AM Pac. Time). It may be the same presentation only in English which would relieve you of any further work.

Let's see what comes up. But it is your choice of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 192 Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yeah just saw the other thread. If they restate everything from the Japan event I'll just stop; if they don't, I'll work on whatever is different / missing, if it's interesting enough (not really worried about HD DVD-VR set top recorder/players myself)
post #185 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 412
On a different level but it might be an anology with pmrl signal processing:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1464-4258/5/5/358

In this link an optical system is described where a special designed lens systems alters the captured image into an intermediate image instead of the negative or positive image we are used to see with photograpy.

This intermediate image looks blurry (no pun intended) and the captured image is not recognizable at all.

However applying dsp filter functions to the intermediate image results in a photograpic image that has a greatly increased depth of field over a normal captured image.

Now for the anology:
Think of the signal coming of a triple layer disc as the intermediate image and the dsp as the used pmrl technology. The end result is of coarse the output signal from the layer that is read.

The signal from the triple layer disc is contains the reflections of two out of focus layers resulting in a blurry and jittery signal (call not random noise) plus the signal of the layer that is focussed upon.

My understanding of this is that the focus layer signal is modulating the signal from the out of focus layers.
The pmrl technology can be used to filter out the correct signal.

A revised function is required because focussing on each layer requires different pattern recognition functions because of the differences in reflectivity for each layer.
Worst case is the 'top' layer with weak reflection from the layer and 'low' noise from other out of focus layers.
Best case is the 'bottom' layer with high reflection and 'high' noise from the out of focus layers with the 'top' layer being to most out of focus. (I suspect that reading the middle layer might actually be the most difficult layer to readout as the surrounding layers are equally out of focus. )

With current dsp technology extracting signals burried in noise is done in many applications already. SA is just a factor affecting how the noise patterns are shaped.

Stereo is simply Multichannel light.
post #186 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Rio
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

Spherical abberation is already an issue with dual layer as there is already a function to deal with it.

They mention a revised SA function. It is most likely a software function already part of the prml technology in the drives for reliable dual layer readout. This function is revised to cope with the increased information area thickness to counter the SA effect.

I know that the OPU in the 1G NEC HD DVD-ROM drive, which was expensive one, has a variety of optical correction devices, including spherical aberration corrector (that OPU seemed to be designed with writer functionality in mind). Spherical aberration corrector is commonly seen in some DVD writers and all BD drives, but not sure whether it is utilized in low cost HD DVD-ROM drives.

With regard to wording, my translation of the sentence "A revised spherical aberration function is introduced..." BioSehnsucht posted would be "Introduced the spherical aberration correction function to ensure the characteristic of signal reproduction within the range of increased thickness". I don't see "a revised SA function" in the original Japanese wording, it just said "Introduced the spherical aberration correction function".
post #187 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

Go, and touch up your physics 101.

Spherical_aberration

And what does it have to do with consumer products?
post #188 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Here K.L. - straight from the horses mouth. No articles - No BLOGS . . . just pure 100% factual information from the DVD Forum.

Here is the announcement on the Approval for the TL51 and TL Twin:

http://www.dvdforum.org/39scmtg-resolution.htm

ALL the different forms and specifications concerning HD DVD are here:

http://www.dvdforum.org/hddvd-mi.htm

Here is the main site:

http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

The engineering and manufacturing process illiastrated:

http://www.hddvdprg.com/eng/press/to...hddvd_disc.pdf

You need to read ALL the PDF's to understand the entire process of how a new disc or player is approved by the DVD Forum.

Sorry, but does it any of this confirm that current players will be able to play TL discs? Or is it conjecture?
post #189 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnagle View Post

Sorry, but does it any of this confirm that current players will be able to play TL discs? Or is it conjecture?

Did you read all the PDF's? I believe there are about 6 of them.
post #190 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you read all the PDF's? I believe there are about 6 of them.

You don't even understand what you are posting...wow.
post #191 of 192 Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

You don't even understand what you are posting...wow.

I seemed to have missed your point . . did you make one?

I provided links to info on PDF's that shows how a disc goes through the approval process with the DVD Forum - what is needed - the forms - the specifications that have to be met. The compatability issue - and so on.

Did YOU read all the PDF's?
post #192 of 192 Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I seemed to have missed your point . . did you make one?

I provided links to info on PDF's that shows how a disc goes through the approval process with the DVD Forum - what is needed - the forms - the specifications that have to be met. The compatability issue - and so on.

Did YOU read all the PDF's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page