Japanese DVD Forum Conference 10/4/07 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Japanese article about DVD Forum Japan Conference 2007
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...71004/dvd1.htm
Google translation
http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

They are discussing a region coding technology for HD DVD that is stronger than that of DVD.
Quote:
 The DVD forum on the 4th, holding DVD Forum Japan Conference 2007. It reported concerning the present condition of the standardization job of HD DVD/DVD.

* Explaining up-to-date trend such as HD DVD and CSS download

Sub-manager [renobo] Japan Sanwa

Sub-manager Kunihiko [renobo] Japan product development laboratory high technology development Sanwa explained the technical sectional meeting which collects the working group of the DVD forum (TCG) concerning activity, reported the update of 3 layers HD DVD-ROM and HD DVD-Video/VR and for China the standardization circumstance etc of HD DVD-ROM.

Concerning the activity of the ad hoc group of TCG affiliation, introducing match such as proposition of profile for load and the record to DVD-R/RW/RAM of HD DVD-Video/VR. Furthermore, with present marketing HD DVD video title, the region cord/code is not granted, there is no restriction in playback every of area, but with the DVD forum examination concerning region control is being advanced. HD DVD-ROM (HD DVD video) the region control technology which is difficult to be torn, unlike DVD concerning the control of the region playback in, is examined. You use simultaneously whether or not,, necessity whether or not with it examines also the fact that you say, that you say.

Quote:
3 layers Twin of 2 layers HD DVD-ROM and 1 layers DVD-ROM format Rev.1.0 were decided in September as the option book of HD DVD-ROM. Capacity of the DVD-ROM section as for the capacity of 4.7GB and the HD DVD-ROM section becomes 30GB.

Concerning the DVD-ROM section, the same specification as 2 layers Twinformat for the sake of, you say that it can play back with the existing DVD player without problem. In addition, concerning HD DVD-ROM layer, other than of reflectance ratio stipulated modifying has almost followed the structure of existing 2 layers HD DVD-ROM. However, in order BCA (disk specific ID) to record to 3rd layer, you say that you cannot recognize with the present player.

There you have it, the 2 HD DVD layers in a HD DVD TL Twin disc is not compatible with current HD DVD players while the DVD layer is readable.

Also it seems to mention HD DVD TL51 but I don't understand the bolded part, can anyone decipher it?
Quote:
 By the fact that on the one hand, with 51GB HD DVD-ROM where 3 layer everything reaches HD DVD-ROM layer, with improvement of cutting distance, linear density it improves from existing 15GB expanding record capacity around 1 layers to 17GB. But playback margin almost the same as existing HD DVD, you say that because it corresponds to number of layers increase, spherical aberration revision becomes necessary on drive side.

Concerning 3 layer Twin Format already standardization completes. As for 3 layers 51GB HD DVD-ROM, within year Ver.2.0 of last specification decision schedule. In addition, you aim toward 2 time fast option standard of 4 time fast correspondence and 2 layers HD of 1 layers HD DVD-R/RW DVD-R/RW DL and the standardization etc of HD DVD-RAM DL.

Quote:
"In drive spherical aberration revision becomes necessary"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Liked: 52
You lost me. The TL51 is version 1.9 (#3 in your slide - red arrow):

And the TL Twin is verson 1.0 - not on the slide

http://www.dvdforum.org/39scmtg-resolution.htm
post #3 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

HD DVD Defense Force Gather!!

I dont see this going well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't depend on Google's translation for any definitive word on these issues.
post #5 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Region coding would be a good thing (studios can control distribution instead of waiting till they would want world wide release.)

TL51 not working on current hardware would be bad but not un-expected by me. Didn't sound like something current players would be able to use.

-Brian
post #6 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote "I wouldn't depend on Google's translation for any definitive word on these issues."

Anyone try babblefish or better yet, anyone here who can just read it directly and translate accurately?

-Brian
post #7 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Spalding View Post

I wouldn't depend on Google's translation for any definitive word on these issues.

Yep, let's get a real translation so we know what we are talking about.
post #8 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

I'll take region protection on future discs released if it brings Disney and Fox on board. That's a possibility. Doesn't negate the fact all current titles available can be played on any player in the world.

TL51 and twin disc compatability remains a question mark. I wouldn't be suprised if there are SOME compatability issues with first gen players, like my A1 I still am keeping since it works just fine right now.

Where is the information for incompatability coming from, do they post any references or footnotes?
post #9 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote "In drive spherical aberration revision becomes necessary"

That's sort of what I was thinking . Revising the Spherical aberration isn't easy either!

-Brian
post #10 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
if they are to implement region coding, how will that effect current players that arent region coded?
post #11 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM

There is a third slide that the OP has not included:

Once again - the TL51 as approved on 9/12 is version 1.9. The TL Twin as approved on 9/12 is version 1.0.

We know that TL51 has not received Final Production Approval. It was assumed that the TL Twin did. Could it be that the TL Twin has also not received FPA?

http://www.dvdforum.org/39scmtg-resolution.htm
post #12 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM

Don't trust Google translator (or web translators) to be accurate.

Amir was interviewed when he was in Japan. He said, "すべての家電ビジネスは難しいものですよ。"

Which Google translated to "All home appliance businesses seriously are potato."

When infact it actually says "All of the home businesses are certainly difficult matters."

I'm only learning Japanese now and still can't read most of the Kanji's, but I'll play around this afternoon and see what it says.

HD DVD - A3 / 360 Add-on - 46 Titles
post #13 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM

HD DVD needs the ability to region code. Hell, Hairspray was regioned without it. I guess a better translation will help all the way around, but with the issues that seem to be on the way from the BD camp, why not go ahead and drop the twin and TL discs?
post #14 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wasn't sure what they were saying. It sounded like the Twin disc, the dvd layer would work on existing dvd players, but not the HD DVD layers. Isn't that to be expected?

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #15 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post

I'll take region protection on future discs released if it brings Disney and Fox on board. That's a possibility. Doesn't negate the fact all current titles available can be played on any player in the world.

TL51 and twin disc compatability remains a question mark. I wouldn't be suprised if there are SOME compatability issues with first gen players, like my A1 I still am keeping since it works just fine right now.

Where is the information for incompatability coming from, do they post any references or footnotes?

are you sure you want fox onboard, not that i think they will due to BD+, which appears to be hurting paying customers (who are paying a premium for their titles already) than it is thwarting piracy.
post #16 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Adding region controls and having question-able new disc compatibility doesn't sound like the "finalized" format I've been hearing about.

Maybe they should consider calling what's out now Profile 1.0 and then making plans for new profiles and compatibilities.
post #17 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey,

Quote "why not go ahead and drop the twin and TL discs?"

I would agree for the TL stuff, but I think some of the twin formats work and are already selling and being used without problems.

-Brian
post #18 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Oh my!

This doesn't sound good at all.
post #19 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

if they are to implement region coding, how will that effect current players that arent region coded?

It won't. Region coding is controlled at the player level. If they were to introduce RC it would only affect new players.

Why pick a fight over a disc format?
post #20 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hey,

Quote "why not go ahead and drop the twin and TL discs?"

I would agree for the TL stuff, but I think some of the twin formats work and are already selling and being used without problems.

-Brian

The OP was referring to Twin TL and TL. The present TLs are 15/4.7.
post #21 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Adding region controls and having question-able new disc compatibility doesn't sound like the "finalized" format I've been hearing about.

Maybe they should consider calling what's out now Profile 1.0 and then making plans for new profiles and compatibilities.

Regioning should be possible without effecting current players. The TL thing still needs to be confirmed one way or another.
post #22 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Player Performance Level 1 and 2

Quote:
In the existing HD DVD player advanced contents playback and the network correspondence which utilize HDi are made necessary, but directing to further functional strengthening, you say that it introduces the concept of "performance level", it keeps deciding the specification which is directed to the player who is higher function.

"Performance level 1 player" defining the existing player. It is future higher function, in the player "of level 2", besides the fact that 1080/24p output correspondence is made necessary in addition to all function of level 1, analog/it designates that with digital sooner or later it outputs with 5.1ch as necessary important matter concerning audio output.

Furthermore, at level 1, introduction of record medium (Persistent storage) above 128MB has become necessary, but at level 2 compared to correspondence of storage of bulk becomes necessary. As for the Mimura Suguru period clerical work of the Toshiba digital media network corporation HD DVD business generalization section optical disk development department, "as for the player you think that in the future, it keeps moving to the performance level 2 product," that it did.

Furthermore, as for the subject which presently is in the midst of examining with HD DVD-Video, you call "speaker mapping of 7.1ch audio" and "stipulation to download of the image contents/disk record" etc..

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #23 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post

It won't. Region coding is controlled at the player level. If they were to introduce RC it would only affect new players.

I'm hoping they don't do it at all though. I don't import disks, but the lack of region coding is still nice nonetheless. I think region coding in general isn't that beneficial.
post #24 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Well, take the news with a large rock of salt I suppose. But I'll admit a petty part of me would be amused. Region free encoding, like massive stand alone superiority, was always a pillar of the HD DVD fanatical.

But even if both points are true, I doubt it will materially impact the format war.
post #25 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote "If they were to introduce RC it would only affect new players."

Profile 1.1? 2.0?

And to the poster suggesting it would bring Disney aboard. Judging by the way they are spreading awareness about Blu Ray I think there's zero chance of them going neutral. They are supporting Blu Ray more then any other studio with the exception of Sony perhaps.

And Fox,... that would be nice cause it would give HD DVD a chance for Star Wars or even X-Men but I think they choose right the first time, I personally don't imagine they would ever want to go neutral.

- Brian
post #26 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Player Performance Level 1 and 2

!

Now if that bit is true, the petty part of me is even more amused. A new profile for HD DVD?
post #27 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Might as well get all the slides up:

So what does "Main book" versus "Optional book" mean?
post #28 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocolypse View Post

I'm hoping they don't do it at all though. I don't import disks, but the lack of region coding is still nice nonetheless. I think region coding in general isn't that beneficial.

I do believe that in 2007 region coding is ridiculous, but there are studios that feel they still have to have it, so let them. Maybe it can be done in a way where it can be removed once whatever issue that needs it is resolved. Hopefully, the companies that are already HD DVD will show us how much they are anti-regioning and not do it.
post #29 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm impressed with how many configurations exist.

And I get confused between TL51 and Twin TL stuff regularly.

-Brian
post #30 of 192 Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Funny.......When BDA has region encoding, it's a bad thing for the consumers...blah.....blah blah.....

Now if HD-DVD get it, it will be cheered.......How hypocritical

PSN ID: IamBuzzed, accepting all requests!
PS3 60GB on 42Px500U
Christmas wishlist: 58PX700U 1080P!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page