If Disney is so confident in Blu-Ray, why aren't they releasing their classics on it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Disney recently released a 40th anniversary special edition of The Jungle Book on DVD. This is a relatively large release for a catalog title. My local BestBuy had a huge cardboard display, filled with DVDs. Notible absent was Blu-Ray.

Disney actively promotes the Blu-Ray format, but they don't seem to be putting their money where their mouth is, by trusting their best movies to it. Their selection of family movies on Blu-Ray is pathetic, and includes turkeys like (Rotten Tomatoes scores in parentheses): The Haunted Mansion (14%), The Wild (19%), Chicken Little (37%)... these are certainly not classics. I mean, why would they dig up the mediocre Dinosaur (63%)? It's seven years old and pretty much forgotten, Disney owns so many better films they could have released in its place.

I just think, if Disney was really confident in Blu-Ray, they would be willing to release more or better films in the format.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/bluray/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_H View Post

Disney recently released a 40th anniversary special edition of The Jungle Book on DVD. This is a relatively large release for a catalog title. My local BestBuy had a huge cardboard display, filled with DVDs. Notible absent was Blu-Ray.

Disney actively promotes the Blu-Ray format, but they don't seem to be putting their money where their mouth is, by trusting their best movies to it. Their selection of family movies on Blu-Ray is pathetic, and includes turkeys like (Rotten Tomatoes scores in parentheses): The Haunted Mansion (14%), The Wild (19%), Chicken Little (37%)... these are certainly not classics. I mean, why would they dig up the mediocre Dinosaur (63%)? It's seven years old and pretty much forgotten, Disney owns so many better films they could have released in its place.

I just think, if Disney was really confident in Blu-Ray, they would be willing to release more or better films in the format.

I will respond to this question with another question:

How long did it take for Disney to release their classics on dvd and VHS for that matter? Hell we didnt see Lion King until 2004. 7 years into the dvd format. Disney has NEVER just rolled out their classic titles. Althought right now the circumstances are a little different and it might be a good idea if they started to.

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #3 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Extras maybe? Sonys first PiP title will be here January 2nd and I doubt Disney will be far after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

because they are waiting out the format war....
post #5 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

The latest Pirates Blu-ray movie has trailers for things like Cindarella, Pinnochio, The Lion King and Snow White with release dates of "2008."
post #6 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Is it just me, or did this thread have another title when I replied?
Maybe I'm just tired.
post #7 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razter View Post

Is it just me, or did this thread have another title when I replied?
Maybe I'm just tired.

Bait and switch, maybe?
post #8 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I agree with you here, doesn't seem like they release to much, although they did release the pirates movies which is pretty big and one of the only movies i care about from them. This is why I can't understand why so many Hd folks really want disney to go neutral, hell in my eyes they are not a major player because they don't have much to offer. Sure from a publicity standpoint they might make a difference, but they sure don't hold BDA aabove the water with titles. Doesn't Disney only have around 150 movies in their vault? I guess if true they wouldn't want to just throw every single one out there.
post #9 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They're waiting for a larger installed base of players. Probably the same reason why some studios are holding back on big titles like Universal (Jurassic Park, E.T.), Paramount (Braveheart), Disney (Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast)
post #10 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM

I believe Sleeping Beauty has a Q4 2008 release date, it's the only one I've seen so far.
post #11 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post

How long did it take for Disney to release their classics on dvd and VHS for that matter?

Very true. Disney likes to space out their releases, and promote each one. However, they just released The Jungle Book on DVD, and a Blu-Ray co-release could have shared in the advertising and promotions. It just seems to me that the movie's 40th anniversary re-release is timed too well to pass up.

(Or, perhaps Disney wants to avoid co-releases between DVD and Blu-Ray.)
post #12 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Disney and their "vault". Doesn't matter what format it's on, they like to space out the release of their classics, I assume, to make the most out of each. Kind of annoying really when they try to create some sort of frenzy by saying they're letting some newly digitally remastered title out of the "vault" but only for a limited time. Bleh.
post #13 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How long did it take for Disney to release their classics on dvd and VHS for that matter? Hell we didnt see Lion King until 2004. 7 years into the dvd format. Disney has NEVER just rolled out their classic titles. Althought right now the circumstances are a little different and it might be a good idea if they started to.

Quite obviously Disney is not confident in DVD either.
post #14 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Waiting for a new AACS key or BD+, and a new profile? Everything will be ready in the next 6 months.
post #15 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Walt Disney Press Release: Disney Blu-Ray Title Wave Coming 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
THE DISNEY BLU-RAY TITLE WAVE COMING 2008

Burbank, CA, August 17, 2007 – Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) announced today more innovations in the Blu-ray format with the Studio’s first ever Platinum Blu-ray release, the Studio’s first BD-Live title, and full motion picture-in-picture Blu-ray bonus features.

The Studio announced the first animated Platinum coming to Blu-ray will be the timeless treasure Sleeping Beauty. Releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray marks a milestone for the format as these titles are not released until a format has been proven both technologically and in terms of consumer acceptance – and Disney’s animated releases in the past have been a major catalysis for any format’s growth. Pinocchio’s release on VHS and Snow White’s release on DVD marked major growth milestones for both of those formats. The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Disc release will also include a virtual castle and multi-player activities – both utilizing the BD-Live technology.

“The Platinum titles are the crown jewels of the Disney Studios and we do not take releasing them lightly on any format. The proven Blu-ray technology has allowed us to take our films to new heights, fully utilizing the larger capacity and interactive capabilities for an incredible all-new consumer experience,” commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

In addition, WDSHE announced the special edition release of the action-adventure blockbuster National Treasure, which will become the Studio’s first BD-Live Blu-ray Disc title. In addition, the Studio will bring two of its treasured family classics to Blu-ray Disc, Disney/Pixar’s Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, both of which will feature full motion picture-in-picture bonus features,

“The strides that we’ve made with this format are just the tip of the iceberg and we are confident that consumers will be astounded by the level of entertainment that can only be achieved by using the maximum capacity of the Blu-ray Disc format. All of these wonderful titles will appeal to the ever growing Blu-ray market and we are extremely proud to offer these in the most pristine and robust presentations ever for Disney fans around the globe,” continued Chapek.

This exciting slate of Blu-ray Disc releases will begin with The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in spring 2008, followed by National Treasure in summer of 2008 and culminating with Disney/Pixar’s Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty in fall 2008.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #16 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's all in the works I'm sure.

Some of these movies are really, really old.

It will take a lot of work to do those justice in HD.
I'm sure there were countless hours spent on the dvd versions.

The teasers probably represent some of the sections that have already gone restoration,cc ,grain reduction, scratch removal etc.

They wont rush something like that.

Jeremy

post #17 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

It seems to me that whenever they open th evault for an animated film they remaster the film, I imagine they are remastering these animated films to optimize for Blu-Ray HD, and timing for profitability.

the whole "vault" thing kinda sucks tho
post #18 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
It is really a shame that Disney did not release The Jungle Book on BD. I got a review copy on DVD and it looks and sounds fantastic. They did a great restoration.

Louder is NOT better!
post #19 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm sure they're waiting on the BD interactive mess to get worked out.
post #20 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM

I'm sure if Disney supported HD-DVD they'd be just as stingy or more stingy; marketing costs money and they are waiting to get more bang for their buck when there is a higher adoption rate. Since we are talking about catalog items they also try to time the release when competing with other new releases and time of year and holiday considerations. And yes, 1.1 profile probably factors in also.

New releases like Transformers are a no brainer to market since it is piggy backing on day-date with the DVD. Disney didn't hold back with Ratatouille which was day-date. As was mentioned before in this thread, for what previous formats has Disney released all its classics rapid fire one after the other in the first couple of years? None. Plus to release quickly causes buyer fatigue and you end up competing with yourself on catalog items, which ironically seems to be what Universal has done to some degree, they will no doubt have to pony up and re-market some of their releases later even if HD-DVD wins.

I have given a great deal of thought to my sig, but evidently not enough.
post #21 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:

A little bit ill-informed. A Bug's Life and others were released in 1998. Tarzan in 1999. The Lion King was not released until 2003 because it is a Platinum Edition title, limited to then once per year. The first was Snow White.
post #22 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

+1

I agree with basically everything your have said.
post #23 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Disney hoards their movies like friggin' Gollum with the One Ring. It's a sickness.

MEC2
post #24 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetian View Post

A little bit ill-informed. A Bug's Life and others were released in 1998. Tarzan in 1999. The Lion King was not released until 2003 because it is a Platinum Edition title, limited to then once per year. The first was Snow White.

A Bug's Life was a '98 film and Tarzan was a '99 film. These were new releases not catalog releases like The Lion King and other classics were at the time.
post #25 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetian View Post

Not illinformed at all. Those were day and date releases. Disney has always been good at supporting day and date releases on the current gen format.

But very few if any of their classic titles made it onto dvd or VHS in the early days of their format.

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #26 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Not illinformed at all. Those were day and date releases. Disney has always been good at supporting day and date releases on the current gen format.

But very few if any of their classic titles made it onto dvd or VHS in the early days of their format.

I said ill-informed regarding TLK, you used that an example to further your point that Disney waited a long time and I merely established that this is invalid information. Instead it was due to the Platinum Edition collection.

Disney did release 101 Dalmatians, Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, The Lion King II all in 1999. So they have in fact releases quite early into the lifecycle of DVD. However I do agree with you that generally speaking they do not adopt early, probably because of the price leading family segment accounting for 90% of their home video sales versus the 10% for their collector sales.
post #27 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

+1
post #28 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They're saving the good stuff for release on HD DVD.
post #29 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's easier to put out newer releases on hd.
If it shot on film chances are its already been scanned at 2k or 4k and thrown into a Digital Intermediate or if its an a digital animated film ,there you go.Same with Heavy CGI movies..already an HD file.
If you have an hd file already its an easy port.

What gets tricky is if the original 35mm neagtive or positive for older movies has to be rescanned.
Hopefully when Disney did their restoration for DVD the films were scanned at 2k already and they did some of that restoration working in a high res enviroment on the computer.
Otherwise ,its starting form square one.

Jeremy

post #30 of 51 Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't know about now but Disney used to have a timed release for movies based on the gold/platinum collection lines. I think they've since done away with that model because it wasn't very profitable, but it is difficult to be sure. I believe the old way it was done was Gold collection titles were every 5 years and platinum collections were every 7 years.

As to why they would not also release on Blu_Ray, apparently they feel the profits are not worth the cost of production?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page