HD VMD Players for sale on Amazon - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMiami View Post

Apocalypto/Lord of the Rings? Maybe I'll buy this instead of a blue ray player costing 3x

I believe the "Lord of the Rings" is that awful Ralph Bakshi animated movie from 30 years ago through United Artists.

Not the more recent New Line releases.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 90
That would be incorrect Snickering Hound.

They are talking about the real deal.

They have the distribution rights to the Peter Jackson LoTR movies in France and Iceland per my converstation with the reps I met with.

Time will tell....
post #63 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

That would be incorrect Snickering Hound.

They are talking about the real deal.

They have the distribution rights to the Peter Jackson LoTR movies in France and Iceland per my converstation with the reps I met with.

That's pretty cool to hear, but from what little I have read about this format so far is that there is regional coding. Is this correct or did I read it wrong? Could you or someone else clarify please?

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

You're wrong! Let me formerly announce to the world that I am an HD VMD fanboy.

I read somewhere here that this format does lossless (PCM) but not TrueHD.

Both sides are afraid of this format and for good reason. This is a format the studios could easily support and dump the other two with all the baggage they each carry! Wouldn't it be ironic if all studios came to support this format while being exclusive to one of the others. While BD and HD DVD throw FUD at each other this one could sneak right up the middle - I sure hope so since it would put a lot of people here (who really need to get a life) out of work.

Cheers,

Grant

And Grant, if anyone ever doesn't believe that you are the first DECLARED HD-VMD fanboy, then I'll vouch for you.
post #65 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

But it will soon...

HD VMD has a higher bitrate so that will make the BR fans switch.
HD VMD does not have lossless audio which will make the HD DVD fans switch.

AND...it has Lazytown! Who wouldn't want to see Stephanie and the gang in HD?!

Oh, did I mention it has more players than any other format! (All PC DVD drives will play these discs with a minor FW update).

Quote:

AND...it has Lazytown! Who wouldn't want to see Stephanie and the gang in HD

Lazytown is pushing me closer to the edge. If NME can get Spongebob exclusively in hi-def, I'm jumping over the cliff and going dual format - Blu-ray/HD-VMD.
post #66 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

AND...it has Lazytown! Who wouldn't want to see Stephanie and the gang in HD?!

Rottenbeard is on the list of discs!
post #67 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 73
So where do you buy the movies in VMD format?
post #68 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I have one question...

When is Transformers and POTC 3 coming out in VMD?

That's what I thought... I will move along now and never think about this poor format again. At least this is a format that both HD DVD and BD fanboys can hate together.

But... If Star Wars comes out on VMD I'm there!

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #69 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhabit View Post

I'd expect that some people will indeed be confused by HD VMD. Let's not forget their are folks out there who think watching DVDs on their new HDTVs means they're watching HD.

The name similarity with HD DVD hurts HD DVD a lot more than it does Blu-ray. This is certain. I believe that is the main reason so many HD DVD fanboys hate HD VMD so much...

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
post #70 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I have one question...

When is Transformers and POTC 3 coming out in VMD?

That's what I thought... I will move along now and never think about this poor format again. At least this is a format that both HD DVD and BD fanboys can hate together.
The only format that carries both of them today (well soon) is DVD -- or am I missing something?

But... If Star Wars comes out on VMD I'm there!

The only format that carries both Transformers and POTC 3 today (well soon) is DVD -- or am I missing something? If VMD would get Star Wars the media war would soon get very interesting. I'm ready to pre-order.
post #71 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vaporware Media Disc.

Although the idea is admittedly more intriguing since I've learned that it does support some sort of lossless audio.
post #72 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 154
hasselhoff in HD? This thing will take Germany by storm.

Sony 55X900e
Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #73 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

The name similarity with HD DVD hurts HD DVD a lot more than it does Blu-ray. This is certain. I believe that is the main reason so many HD DVD fanboys hate HD VMD so much...

Well and the price point (which is one of if not the biggest talking point). Lol, I already see HD DVD fans asking for quick destruction as it would confuse consumers
post #74 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Liked: 52
Nah. . . bring it on . . 2 cheap formats and 1 expensive one. Let the consumer, who always chooses price as his #1 concern, make the decision.

Bye bye BD
post #75 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhabit View Post

I'd expect that some people will indeed be confused by HD VMD. Let's not forget their are folks out there who think watching DVDs on their new HDTVs means they're watching HD.

95% of people think that, especially with their DVD HD upconverting player.
post #76 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Rottenbeard is on the list of discs!

wow thats real nice, but I'm partial to bing bang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CHA...lated&search=:)
post #77 of 260 Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Nah. . . bring it on . . 2 cheap formats and 1 expensive one. Let the consumer, who always chooses price as his #1 concern, make the decision.

Bye bye BD

Well, if you are talking about players there is really only one cheap format called DVD. HD DVD and HD VMD are sort of medium-high priced and Blu-ray players are relatively high priced. Of course, the other factor is the size of the installed base. DVD is #1 and Blu-ray is #2 thanks to the PS3. In absolute numbers I believe that both the DVD and Blu-ray installed bases are growing at a faster rate than HD DVD.
post #78 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 AM

I hope it succeeds. Whip both HD DVD and BD. Perhaps finally a high resolution music audio could be based on this and find acceptance by the mass market. After following the format war all this time I'm pretty much burned out and turned off by it all. I don't think either is going to go anywhere. Getting Oppo's new dvd player this winter and watch the high def formats duke it out.
post #79 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

I hope it succeeds. Whip both HD DVD and BD. Perhaps finally a high resolution music audio could be based on this and find acceptance by the mass market. After following the format war all this time I'm pretty much burned out and turned off by it all. I don't think either is going to go anywhere. Getting Oppo's new dvd player this winter and watch the high def formats duke it out.

If you have a large selection of SACD and DVD-A, I can almost guarantee you will get more use out of an Oppo player than both Blu-ray and HD DVD combined. I know I do since I have 350 titles in those two formats and unlike the 20 combined Blu-ray/HD DVD titles I own, I usually play the discs more than once. Not to mention the 500 or so CD's and 500 or so DVD's I own the Oppo player does a great job with. I am delighted with the Oppo DV-980H, but I am assuming you are going to get the upcoming DV-983H if you want to spend a little extra for better performance.

If HD VMD does release the tiny demand older films and concerts I like, I am going to get a player, but this time, I am waiting to see the software selection before buying the format. As poorly as HD DVD is doing in the market, HD VMD can actually do worse, which would be quite an accomplishment.

Chris
post #80 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 AM

Yeah I'm looking at the DV-983H. I've got the 970 but I want the better video processor in the new one.
post #81 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do these VMD players have full rez analog outputs? Or do they require HDMI which I'm still resisting?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #82 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One of the reason I am interested in this player is ability to play transport streams burned to DVD. I recieve a reply from the company saying that the players will play MPEG2 ts files. I don't know about h.264. I tried this on Blu-ray and HDDVD and without authoring the player don't recognize these files.
post #83 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since it appears region-free, and they are securing the rights to some pretty high profile movies in countries around the world, it will be interesting to see how this will be leveraged. Could see a lot of import, maybe even in organized forms.

Also, as someone mentioned, obscure titles may become available on this format.

If the pricing is right, I may actually pick one up. If for nothing else to have it in my collection of 'failed formats', right next to my Sega Dreamcast
post #84 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes View Post

Since it appears region-free, and they are securing the rights to some pretty high profile movies in countries around the world, it will be interesting to see how this will be leveraged. Could see a lot of import, maybe even in organized forms.

Also, as someone mentioned, obscure titles may become available on this format.

If the pricing is right, I may actually pick one up. If for nothing else to have it in my collection of 'failed formats', right next to my Sega Dreamcast

I don't believe that is true, I believe they were able to secure rights to certain films for certain countries because HD VMD can be single region coded.

Chris
post #85 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM

I agree this is destined to be vaporware. Good idea, just way too late in the game.
It amazes me that any company/investors would bankroll such a product at this stage. The big CE companies are having a hard time getting the average public to notice HD DVD or Bluray. If by some whim of chance HD VMD does gain some traction it will only hurt the HDM adoption rate by confusing people even more and ensure regular DVD will reign as king.

Might be fun as a novelty though........
post #86 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think folks who dismiss HD-VMD too quickly do so at their peril. Many of my professional colleagues and personal friends are of Indian extraction. In addition to liking American movies many of these folks also like "bollywood" movies from India. This demographic is one of the initial demographics that this format is targeting. Since HD-VMD is region free, many of these folks will be importing HD-VMD movies from overseas. And they will also have no hesitation about importing American and European movies in HD-VMD format from overseas also. Believe me, a market and supporting supply trains will very quickly develop.
post #87 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What if all of Blu-ray exclusive studios have signed exclusivity agreements and agreed to not release on HD-DVD and HD-DVD exclusive studios have agreements for the same thing. Then all of the studios decide to release on HD-VMD because they do not have exclusivity agreements in place with regard to that format?

You never know what might happen, but I would tend to agree that they are a little late to the game to gain any traction with this format.
post #88 of 260 Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If the upconversion is good, it could be a little more compelling to those looking at an Oppo.
post #89 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy View Post

If the upconversion is good, it could be a little more compelling to those looking at an Oppo.

I don't think so. The Oppo players play a lot of formats, SACD, DVD-A, all region, etc. These players are competition for HD DVD and nothing else in my opinion. Somebody wanting only Region 1 DVD-V is probably interested in something other than Oppo or HD VMD.

Chris
post #90 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

I think folks who dismiss HD-VMD too quickly do so at their peril. Many of my professional colleagues and personal friends are of Indian extraction. In addition to liking American movies many of these folks also like "bollywood" movies from India. This demographic is one of the initial demographics that this format is targeting. Since HD-VMD is region free, many of these folks will be importing HD-VMD movies from overseas. And they will also have no hesitation about importing American and European movies in HD-VMD format from overseas also. Believe me, a market and supporting supply trains will very quickly develop.

Again, I don't think this format is exclusively region free, although this is getting repeated here often. All of the formats including Blu-ray can be all region, it is up to the company releasing the software. I am certain that HD VMD, like Blu-ray allows the option of single region coding. I also expect that if HD DVD survives, HD DVD will ultimately add the option of single region coding.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page