HD VMD Players for sale on Amazon - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I don't think so. The Oppo players play a lot of formats, SACD, DVD-A, all region, etc. These players are competition for HD DVD and nothing else in my opinion. Somebody wanting only Region 1 DVD-V is probably interested in something other than Oppo or HD VMD.

Chris

I understand that point of view, Chris. I just view it a bit differently. If someone is looking for a good upconverting player (and that's a big unknown on these players), I think the ability to play a HD format would be an enticing feature. That is, of course, ignoring the fact that there are no movies at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

What if all of Blu-ray exclusive studios have signed exclusivity agreements and agreed to not release on HD-DVD and HD-DVD exclusive studios have agreements for the same thing. Then all of the studios decide to release on HD-VMD because they do not have exclusivity agreements in place with regard to that format?

You never know what might happen, but I would tend to agree that they are a little late to the game to gain any traction with this format.

Don't we constantly hear how little impact the HD formats have made with the consumer? I think HD VMD's timing is pretty good! Just before HD optical disk goes big is the time to get in and ride all the work the other formats have done - for free! They claim a simple software update to your DVD drive in your PC will do the trick - if true, then there's a potential 100 million plus players already out there with zero cost to the consumer.

I predict that HD VMD will have comparable video and audio to both HD DVD and BD at a much lower initial cost for players and software. As the HD DVD supporters constantly say (and is proving true) the studios will follow the money.

Cheers,

Grant
post #93 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

Again, I don't think this format is exclusively region free, although this is getting repeated here often. All of the formats including Blu-ray can be all region, it is up to the company releasing the software. I am certain that HD VMD, like Blu-ray allows the option of single region coding. I also expect that if HD DVD survives, HD DVD will ultimately add the option of single region coding.

Chris

That is my reading of it as well. I have already asked this question but with no definative answer yet. I would like to see where people are getting the idea that HD VMD will be region-free. It would be great from a consumer standpoint but it would be a disaster from a North American studio standpoint.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Don't we constantly hear how little impact the HD formats have made with the consumer? I think HD VMD's timing is pretty good! Just before HD optical disk goes big is the time to get in and ride all the work the other formats have done - for free! They claim a simple software update to your DVD drive in your PC will do the trick - if true, then there's a potential 100 million plus players already out there with zero cost to the consumer.

I predict that HD VMD will have comparable video and audio to both HD DVD and BD at a much lower initial cost for players and software. As the HD DVD supporters constantly say (and is proving true) the studios will follow the money.

Cheers,

Grant

Good points and I wasn't aware my PC DVD drive could be made HD VMD capable. If that means writing HD VMD to dual layer media with my existing writer, then this format might just fly, soar actually.

Chris
post #95 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

And Grant, if anyone ever doesn't believe that you are the first DECLARED HD-VMD fanboy, then I'll vouch for you.

Thanks! I always wanted to be a fanboy, now I get my chance!

Cheers,

Grant
post #96 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Thanks! I always wanted to be a fanboy, now I get my chance!

Cheers,

Grant

He he, how does it feel to be the first out of billions? I'll be the second to vouch for you. You better hope this isn't your 15 minutes of fame, though

Doug
post #97 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OK - I'll jump in! HD VMD really does kinda suck. Where is the list of VMD movies available right now?

And how come we get nothing more than DD or DTS audio like the last ten years of DVD? I mean, it would have been nice if they had just chosen to at least use DD+ or DTS HD.

And, is it true that the first VMD discs are 18 Gigs, or is it even less?

With HD DVD at almost the same price, it's a better choice.

But hey, if VMD and HD DVD set the prices that folks expect, then I'll be happy if they knock out Bluray.
post #98 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post

Did you notice that customers who bought it then bought HD DVDs.

Haaaa! My guess is they wanted a cheap HD DVD player.

HD VMD is going to hurt HD DVD only because of people getting confused by it. Similar pricing, similar name.. Blu-ray has a unique name, hard to get mixed up with HD anything...

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
post #99 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

BTW - does anyone notice that these are NOT actually being sold by Amazon? They are just being "marketplaced" on Amazon by NME, the company that makes them.
post #100 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

HD VMD is going to hurt HD DVD only because of people getting confused by it. Similar pricing, similar name.. Blu-ray has a unique name, hard to get mixed up with HD anything...

DVD... VMD... oh yeah! How could I have missed that?! Nice try tho...
post #101 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well what about Sony's "HD DNA" campaign? I saw this at Costco recently. I don't know who all these acronyms help, but I would bet that eventually everything will simply be "HD"

Doug
post #102 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It does make you wonder how many are mixing this up with HD-DVD. The planet earth HD-DVD box set has many pepole complaing how it doesn't work in their DVD player. As they assume its just a HD version for their regular dvd player.
post #103 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Liked: 11
wow, that ML777s is looking hot. why can't toshiba designers come up with something that looks that elegant?
post #104 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

OK - I'll jump in! HD VMD really does kinda suck. Where is the list of VMD movies available right now?

And how come we get nothing more than DD or DTS audio like the last ten years of DVD? I mean, it would have been nice if they had just chosen to at least use DD+ or DTS HD.

They really blew it only supporting basic audio formats of yesteryear. One of the best things I like about HD DVD and Blu-ray is the superior audio. It is one of the first things I noticed. VMD missed the boat here and won't get a serious look from most HT enthusiasts. It will say it does look like a cool looking unit though.

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme: http://myweb.arvig.net/sly/
post #105 of 260 Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

That is my reading of it as well. I have already asked this question but with no definative answer yet. I would like to see where people are getting the idea that HD VMD will be region-free. It would be great from a consumer standpoint but it would be a disaster from a North American studio standpoint.

Doug

according to images posted by Blasst https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=43 there is regional coding (see the bottom image which says "regional coded" on the jekyll and hyde case).
post #106 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

They really blew it only supporting basic audio formats of yesteryear. One of the best things I like about HD DVD and Blu-ray is the superior audio. It is one of the first things I noticed. VMD missed the boat here and won't get a serious look from most HT enthusiasts. It will say it does look like a cool looking unit though.

If SACD and DVD-A are any indication, the majority of the market doesn't care about high quality lossless audio. I have 350 SACD/DVD-A titles but I am using both Blu-ray and HD DVD with optical audio connections since I don't yet have HDMI audio processing and don't want to mess with a maze of analog 5.1 audio cables. The audio formats of yesteryear still sound good so we will see how important that issue is. I will move on to the advanced audio codecs with my next upgrade but I am far from convinced it is really an important issue. So far I would say the market looks about like this in the US in terms of software sales:

DVD 95%
Blu-ray 3%
HD DVD 2%
HD VMD 0%

If the race is for a viable format to supplement DVD, so far it is basically a bust and none of them matter. I don't know what will make one of the three matter but I sure don't think it will be the advanced audio codecs. I think it will be two of the three going bye bye after taking a beating that will allow one of the three to actually amount to something.

Chris
post #107 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If BD survives and HD VMD surplants HD DVD then BD will be a niche elite fromat much like LD with titles costing $40.00 plus and players staying in the $500 area. If HD VMD or HD DVD really catch on (because of price) then all the studios will support the one that survives and it will become the de facto HD format! BTW, I read somewhere on this forum that HD VMD can do lossless audio and also (no sure) DD+, but not TrueHD.

If HD VMD is marketed with some ingenuity then it could easily beat both HD DVD and BD, since neither of them can wrap their respective minds around how to market their products.

Here's a scenario - 1080i HD VMD players for $149.00, upscales DVDs, software for DVD prices, exccellent video and good audio (most consumers will consider it excellent) for both HD and SD DVD, free firmware update to PC DVD drives, subsidize sofrtware to attract customers if need be, and generally hold the consumers hand while he/she makes a non-threatening transition to HD VMD.

What's scary for many here is that for most consumers DVD is "good enough" which is a question often asked by BD supporters about HD DVD - is it good enough! I currently have both and find from what I've seen that SL (see Kris Deering's review of Firewall) and DL HD DVD and SL and DL BD titles I've viewed to be wonderful. The mass consumer, who thinks DVD is good enough, will absolutely love HD VMD if it's cheap and easy (the entry fee is right)!

Cheers,

Grant
post #108 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

Many will think that the audio quality on HD-VMD is good enough for 98% of the market and all they want. Some folks believe that this 98% of the market doesn't need the lossless audio that Blu-ray offers.
post #109 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

Many will think that the audio quality on HD-VMD is good enough for 98% of the market and all they want. Some folks believe that this 98% of the market doesn't need the lossless audio that Blu-ray offers.

Very true.
I yet to see an average consumer trying to find out if DVDs have DTS track or not. They buy the DVDs they want and it sounds good to them.
It's a shame that not many care about audio quality any more, but the reality is AAC/MP3 are getting more popular everyday. I can't see folks who listen to their iPod and lossy music all of a sudden choose a format based on lossless audio.

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #110 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Liked: 52
IMO - To have a mass adopted format - it has to appeal to the masses . . . and what they have as far as CE products in their homes.

Anything built for the EA market stays in the EA market. Just the way things work out.
post #111 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

Well what about Sony's "HD DNA" campaign? I saw this at Costco recently.

Sounds like baloney. If you're referring to the Peyton Manning commercial, that is. They want you to think what you're seeing at home is exactly what they're looking at in the broadcasting booth. Only merely a close approximation, if you ask me.

And I think that DNA campaign is only referring to their (SONY) displays.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #112 of 260 Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

It will be a region free player. I've been sitting on a HDVMD player for a couple weeks, but it is not the finalized version, so I can't give out a review yet.

I don't know what It Is about this machine that kinda reminds me about the RCA CED machine or the Japan verson called the VHD, even the logo has something, deja vu?
post #113 of 260 Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 AM
tsb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post

Hopefully both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have enough momentum to smash this HD VMD thing as quick as possible. There is enough confusion with two formats, a third isn't needed.

If it has exclusive content it is definitely needed. as soon as I can order movies as well I will be tri-format. sweet
post #114 of 260 Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

It will be a region free player. I've been sitting on a HDVMD player for a couple weeks, but it is not the finalized version, so I can't give out a review yet.

Besides be capable of upconverting DVD and playing 1080P videos, it looks like you could also make Belgium Waffles in it.
post #115 of 260 Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
When can movies be bought. I've seen nothing other then what's comming
post #116 of 260 Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead99 View Post

Hahaha don't underestimate the Hoff!

On a serious note, I'd actually like to see these things get some traction. Why? Morbid curiosity.

My girlfriend would like "The Hoff" on HD!

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #117 of 260 Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

This post is the first of hopefully many "chain posts" just to help separate our eyes from that awful image!!

Please post more like this and ask your friends to make posts here, so that we can distance ourselves from it!

If you don't, you may go blind in the next few minutes, and if you do, you may win the lottery!
post #118 of 260 Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Please... make some posts, or the puppy gets whacked.
post #119 of 260 Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Please... make some posts, or the puppy gets whacked.

This

one

should

be

enough

to

scroll

the

off

the

screen.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #120 of 260 Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Baccusboy, please delete that image. It is funny, but too annoying to stay in a thread like this.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page