AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Software Media Discussion (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/114-hdtv-software-media-discussion/)
-   -   HD VMD Players for sale on Amazon (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/114-hdtv-software-media-discussion/920574-hd-vmd-players-sale-amazon.html)

venk 10-09-2007 05:07 PM

And so it Begins....

I still don't see why would you get a VMD player instead of an HD DVD Player at the current prices.

cadbury8 10-09-2007 05:25 PM

what studios support this media format?

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 05:28 PM

Could this format confuse people between it and HD DVD .. HD VMD I mean its close enough the players are relatively priced closely whats the chance people accidentally buy these players?

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 05:28 PM

You can get LAZY TOWN on it lol

lemonhead99 10-09-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncalfroper View Post

Could this format confuse people between it and HD DVD .. HD VMD I mean its close enough the players are relatively priced closely whats the chance people accidentally buy these players?

0.0%

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 05:32 PM

If anything it would cannibalize HD DVD sales as they are priced the same as where the person buying Blu Ray already realizes they spending a small fortune.

Did you also see that all of they're players are 1080p???

ottscay 10-09-2007 05:36 PM

Wow, they are the first players to break the "magic $200 MSRP" point, and will almost certainly be the first to $150 MSRP as well. I guess it's over for HD DVD, since "price is king"...

If you feel any of that was silly, then you should also understand why it's silly to think that HD DVD will beat BD for the exact same set of reasons.

Toshiba understood, that's why they bought Paramount/Dreamworks.

cadbury8 10-09-2007 05:38 PM

yes but if all studios released on this format it could take off. Hey speilburg how bout E.T.?

cadbury8 10-09-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhabit View Post

I'm guessing Spielberg would be a fan of lossless audio which correct me if I'm wrong, isn't an option on HD VMD.

maybe there will be a firmware upgrade? it has to start somewhere.

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 05:44 PM

These versions of HD VMD Player are a phenomenal progression of recordable technology; capable of reading the Multiple layers of the technologically advanced Versatile Multilayer Discs(VMD) and also compatible with DVD and VCD.

ML622 and ML777 HD VMD players are the first high definition video players to output true 1080p. Utilizing the Sigma Designs EM8622L chip set these two players will output the native 1080p resolution from the disc rather than adding a second conversion process by breaking it down to 1080i and de-interlacing back to 1080p.

HD VMD players are extremely versatile and compelling from both a technological and performance perspective. HD VMDs have a maximum data transfer rate of 40 Mbps versus 36 Mbps for HD DVD and Blu-ray, which gives it the potential of sharper more detailed pictures over the competing formats.

High-performance graphics acceleration, multi-standard audio decoding, advanced display processing capabilities, and HDMI/HDCP output round out its multimedia capability. With state-of-the-art HD performance and up-conversion for Standard Definition DVD playback, the HD VMD Player is also competitively priced far lower than the other major HD formats.

They claim more bandwidth than Blu Ray or HD DVD on they're website

http://www.nmeinc.com/index.aspx

Derek

Lee Stewart 10-09-2007 05:46 PM

The price of the player does not equate to success. The consumer is going to look at the software and see . . . what?

Remember the formula . . . player pricing and content.

So where is the content?

ottscay 10-09-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

They claim more bandwidth than Blu Ray or HD DVD on they're website

That's fairly impressive, if true. Plus they're cheaper, and price is king!!!

Meh.

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 05:51 PM

* Hostage
* We Were Soldiers
* Apocalypto
* Lucky Number Slevin
* Valiant
* Saw II
* Saw III
* Lord of War
* Fireplace & Aquarium
* The Ark
* Help I'm A Fish
* El Cid
* Mid Summer Dream
* Passion of The Christ
* Angeles Ashes
* Babel
* 16 Blocks
* Set up
* Hoodwinked
* Oliver Twist
* Princesse
* La Planete Blanche
* Pulp Fiction
* Sahara
* Demande A La Poussiere
* Gosford Park
* The Descent
* Miss Potter
* The Queen
* Butterfly Effect 1
* Butterfly Effect 2
* Hitcher
* Black Sheep
* Lord of the Rings
* Diario De Um Novo Mundo
* Inside Out
* Avion
* Welcome to LazyTown
* Dr. Rottenstein
* Hero for a Day
* Defeated
* Rottenbeard
* Cry Dinosaur
* Secret Agent Zero
* Sleepless in LazyTown
* Happy Brush Day
* Pixelspix
* LazyTown’s New Super Hero
* Sports Day
* Crystal Caper
* Lazy Scouts
* My Treehouse
* Swiped Sweets
* Sportafake
* The Laziest Town
* Soccer Sucker
* Dear Diary
* Miss Roberta
* Sports Candy Festival
* Remote Control
* Sportacus Who?
* Zap it
* Records Day
* Ziggy’s Alien
* Play Day
* Prince Stingy
* Robbie’s Greatest Misses
* Dancing Duel
* LazyTown’s Greatest Hits
* Sportacus on the Move!
* LazyTown’s Surprise Santa
* Sailor et lula
* Scorpion
* Le caïman
* Spy kids
* Scarie movie 2
* Les chansons d'amour
* Khakar Khakar
* Alaipayuthey
* Pammal K Sambantham
* Panchathanthiram
* Ghilli
* Boys
* Kandukondain Kandukondain
* Water
* Bheja Fry
* Bridge to Tarabitha
* Hanuman
* Malamal Weekly
* Constant Gardner
* Jo Jeeta Wohli Sikander
* Page 3
* Parzania
* Iqbal
* China Town
* Sholay
* Andaz Apana Apna
* Hum Aapke Hai Kaun
* Padosan
* Maine Pyaar Kiya
* Kashmir Ki Kali
* Pyaasa
* Sapoot
* International only
* Khanna & Iyer
* Inquilab
* Namak Haram
* Dil Ek Mandir

Thats the initial list of movies and as the HD DVD Fanboys like to throw in the faces of Blu Ray is that distributed movies from other countries can be imported so they could get quite alot of movies and also aren't these technically just dvd discs, what does that mean for production cost coupled with red lasers they probably don't cost much to make

It looks as though they really want to start pushing India first as well as try US there is no denying the pricepoint as well as the actuallity that they have some... movies.

cadbury8 10-09-2007 05:56 PM

I counted ten that i would pick up. And lord of the rings too? DaNG!

anyone screaming audio has to remember alot of J6P are only using their tv speakers so this is all they need.

And this format has no fanboys which is a huge plus.
need to ask AVS to make another section between the Bduds and the hduds. long live VMD!

Lee Stewart 10-09-2007 06:00 PM

So the player is for sale . . what about the movies? I just tried to look up a few of the more reconizeable titles - not there at Amazon.

gomo657 10-09-2007 06:01 PM

I agree the lack of region coding is intriguing

Rob.D.inToronto 10-09-2007 06:01 PM

Did you notice that customers who bought it then bought HD DVDs.

Haaaa! My guess is they wanted a cheap HD DVD player.

Evan_H 10-09-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Customers Who Bought Items Like This Also Bought
Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series [HD DVD]
300 (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD]
Heroes - Season 1 [HD DVD]
The Bourne Identity [HD DVD]

^ From Amazon's page for the NME HD VMD Player ML777s Black ^

cadbury8 10-09-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post

Did you notice that customers who bought it then bought HD DVDs.

Haaaa! My guess is they wanted a cheap HD DVD player.

Id say those people are probably higher on the tech chain then you are and probably already have an hd player and want to try out new tech.

Why is everyone so negative all the time.

Does it make you feel better to put other people down?

tqlla 10-09-2007 06:07 PM

Oh no, people are confused... surprise surprise.
when I click on the ML777s, I get

Customers who bought this item also bought

Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series HD DVD ~ David Attenborough
300 (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD] DVD ~ Gerard Butler
Heroes - Season 1 [HD DVD] DVD ~ Hayden Panettiere
Cables To Go HDMI Cable - 2m (40315)

The Bourne Identity [HD DVD] DVD ~ Matt Damon
Cables Unlimited 6FT HDmi Cable
The Ultimate Matrix Collection [HD DVD]
Batman Begins [HD DVD] DVD ~ Christian Bale

Lee Stewart 10-09-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post

I agree the lack of region coding is intriguing

This is a region coded format. From the NME website:

Quote:

HD VMD is a true HD format with 1920 x 1080i/p resolution, up to 40 Mbps bit rate playback, DVD up-scaling so users can watch their existing DVD collection and achieve premium picture quality through their HD TV monitors. The HD VMD player is suitable for playback on all HD-capable display devices and will support existing optical disc formats: CD, DVD. HD VMD players also feature Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and all region codes for greater film viewing flexibility.

Lee Stewart 10-09-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhabit View Post

I can't believe you of all people are proving this guy's point!:

Not proving his point at all.

You have to have BOTH . . player price AND content.

Take a look at the list (oh by the way - the Lord of the Rings may be the Ralph Bakshi animated movie) and tell me if you reconigize more than 20 films . . .

It isn't a question of HD VMD is $50 less than HD DVD so people will buy it. They will look at the movie selection and see little if any movies they might want - all catalog titles and many are for people from India (Bollywood)

Like I said - player price and content.

cdzie1 10-09-2007 06:16 PM

Great, I'm going to run out to Radio Shack and buy "Maine Pyaar Kiya", "Kashmir Ki Kali" and "Pyaasa."

AJMiami 10-09-2007 06:24 PM

Apocalypto/Lord of the Rings? Maybe I'll buy this instead of a blue ray player costing 3x

Blasst 10-09-2007 06:26 PM

It will be a region free player. I've been sitting on a HDVMD player for a couple weeks, but it is not the finalized version, so I can't give out a review yet.

h0mi 10-09-2007 06:42 PM

I wonder what is different between the 622 and the 777. I thought 1 of these would be 1080i, not p.

These players look fairly nice but none of the movies listed would make me buy this.

If VMD can get a big library and attract more US studio support, both formats would be in trouble.

MichaelHDDVD 10-09-2007 06:45 PM

Where can people actually buy HD VMD movies?

Lee Stewart 10-09-2007 07:06 PM

JUNE 6 | Apocalypto, The Descent and The Queen, among other high-profile films, will be distributed by Icon Film Distribution on the fledgling high-definition format HD VMD in the territories of Australia and New Zealand.

The HD VMD solution will allow us to distribute our movies to a fan base that is craving an affordable high-def experience in the home,” said Greg Hughes, general manager of home entertainment at Icon. “We’ve seen tremendous momentum for the HD VMD format and plan to release dozens of titles in the Australian and New Zealand markets where HD VMD is available to the consumer.”

At this point, NME has attracted only one U.S. supplier of HD VMD titles, Anthem Pictures.

Outside of the U.S., NME has signed foreign-based film suppliers to distribute HD VMD titles in China, France, Germany, India, Poland and Scandinavia among other markets.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6449280.html

luclin999 10-09-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

Wow, they are the first players to break the "magic $200 MSRP" point, and will almost certainly be the first to $150 MSRP as well. I guess it's over for HD DVD, since "price is king"...

If you feel any of that was silly, then you should also understand why it's silly to think that HD DVD will beat BD for the exact same set of reasons.

Toshiba understood, that's why they bought Paramount/Dreamworks.

Your comment was silly simply because it was.

The "price is king" argument is perfectly valid when the formats in question are nearly the same in most other respects (PQ, AQ, and Catalog size/Quality)

The argument fails for HD VMD due to the fact that there is virtually zero support from the film industry not to mention that there is no independent information to confirm that PQ and AQ will be anything like what is currently available on Blu and HD.

Now if they prove their player is capable of matching Toshiba and Sony's and they manage to pick up a few hundred decent titles then the "price is king" rule may well indeed apply.

But for now, the HD VMD players are basically $200 doorstops.

oregoncalfroper 10-09-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post

Your comment was silly simply because it was.

The "price is king" argument is perfectly valid when the formats in question are nearly the same in most other respects (PQ, AQ, and Catalog size/Quality)

The argument fails for HD VMD due to the fact that there is virtually zero support from the film industry not to mention that there is no independent information to confirm that PQ and AQ will be anything like what is currently available on Blu and HD.

Now if they prove their player is capable of matching Toshiba and Sony's and they manage to pick up a few hundred decent titles then the "price is king" rule may well indeed apply.

But for now, the HD VMD players are basically $200 doorstops.

Its got a sigma processor so I will go out on a limb and say the pq will be on par with HD DVD as it is running the same codec's mainly VC1, now I think the audio will be regular DD but that is not a bad movie library if available when the players actually hit. So again price will matter for JSP as has been said they only look at price but I think these will go nowhere as "where are you going to buy one"?