Blu-ray Rips with Make MKV look aweful!!!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone help me figure out why my Blu-ray Rips using Make MKV look so crappy? Do I need to convert it after I rip it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Can anyone help me figure out why my Blu-ray Rips using Make MKV look so crappy?

I'm sure plenty of people could help you, if you provided any relevant information, which you haven't.

Quote:

Do I need to convert it after I rip it?

No, not if you have a powerful enough Mac.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, Ripping with a Mac Mini 2010, the rip looks very grainy, (even my wife noticed).
I did the rip with the default settings in Make MKV. (not sure if it matters). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

OK, I'll try again. When I say relevant information, here are just a few things you might want to mention:

A 2010 Mini, which model, which OS version, how much RAM, how are you connected to the HDTV, which HDTV, what resolution are you connecting to that HDTV at, which software are you using to try to play the rip back with, how does it look when you use a different software player, which blu-ray did you rip, do all blu-ray rips show grain or just this one, how does other video content look, etc. I could go on, but a good general rule around here is to really describe your setup because there can be a lot of variables.

Most of us use the default MakeMKV, some also include the HD audio track, but all MakeMKV does is put the video in a different container, it doesn't alter it otherwise.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlamb View Post

Sorry, Ripping with a Mac Mini 2010, the rip looks very grainy, (even my wife noticed).
I did the rip with the default settings in Make MKV. (not sure if it matters). Thanks

using default Make MKV produces spectacular result for me- both without conversion played via Plex and with conversion (Handbrake) played with iTunes.

Also, as chef says. There isn't anything being done by Make MKV that can cause 'grainy'- that descriptor is for the source film and BD implementation of it.

What movie are you ripping?

ken
post #6 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

using default Make MKV produces spectacular result for me- both without conversion played via Plex and with conversion (Handbrake) played with iTunes.

--snip--

ken

+1. I'm wondering if we're talking about a movie like 300? I remember thinking how "crappy" it looked...

Are you talking' to me?
post #7 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

+1. I'm wondering if we're talking about a movie like 300? I remember thinking how "crappy" it looked...

Not all transfers are created equal -- that's for sure.

Another tip: there is way, way, way less difference between a top flight DVD transfer (5th Element superbit; most HBO series seasons; top flight Criterion/WB transfers, etc.) and Blu-ray than there is between a bad DVD transfer (Rancho Deluxe -- an MGM atrocity that looks like it was telecined with two screen doors in the way; any number of early Fox-Lorbers that resemble bad 4th generation VHS copies) and the above mentioned good DVD transfers.

Indeed my main hope for Blu-ray has always been that those producing them will be too embarrassed to recycle old VHS transfers to BD the way they did to DVD time and again -- not that Blu-ray will look all that amazing compared to a good DVD.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM

Makemkv does not transcode the original blu-ray, it copies blu-ray to mkv. So it might be a problem of this disc. You can try copying the bluray again with some similar app- like AnyDVD HD (bd to iso) or pavtube bytecopy (bd to mkv), if you get the same grainy picture, it's the blu-ray disc to blame, otherwise it might be a decryption problem or mac.

To judge if it is a issue of your mac mini: try playing the ripped blu-ray mkv on a mac desktop or windows pc. If the mkv plays well on windows- you gotta consider replace your mac mini with something more powerful, or down convert the blu-ray - transcode the blu-ray to something more friendly to mac with bytecopy or something else.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomrobot View Post

Makemkv does not transcode the original blu-ray, it copies blu-ray to mkv. So it might be a problem of this disc. You can try copying the bluray again with some similar app- like AnyDVD HD (bd to iso) or pavtube bytecopy (bd to mkv), if you get the same grainy picture, it’s the blu-ray disc to blame, otherwise it might be a decryption problem or mac.

To judge if it is a issue of your mac mini: try playing the ripped blu-ray mkv on a mac desktop or windows pc. If the mkv plays well on windows- you gotta consider replace your mac mini with something more powerful, or down convert the blu-ray - transcode the blu-ray to something more friendly to mac with bytecopy or something else.

Yay!! Somebody actually posts the only piece of pertinent info on this thread.

It ain't the makemkv app. It's one of 3 possibilities:

1) the original BR transfer itself (ie, the one done by the movie company) was terrible -- this is not unheard of -- or

2) you're using an underpowered (or under-RAM'ed, if you're using other apps during playback) Mac Mini or media playback app that isn't up to the task, or

3) THE ORIGINAL MOVIE WAS MEANT TO BE GRAINY. A number of directors find 'grainy' to be a sexy presentation of a movie (for a prototypical example, see 'Miami Vice' or the aforementioned '300').
Gabuk likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

using default Make MKV produces spectacular result for me

Well, in all fairness -- if you say a rip is 'aweful,' it should mean that it's of such quality that one is full of awe.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just yesterday I installed MakeMKV and Handbrake to begin ripping my BD to a digital library for use in my MCPC.. I started with The Wolverine on MakeMKV and the video came out badly pixelated and running it through handbrake didn't make a difference. Then I downloaded a trial of DVDfab, ripped the BD, ran it through handbrake which took almost three times longer, but the end video is crystal clear, no pixelation. So its obviously an issue with MKV then.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post

Just yesterday I installed MakeMKV and Handbrake to begin ripping my BD to a digital library for use in my MCPC.. I started with The Wolverine on MakeMKV and the video came out badly pixelated and running it through handbrake didn't make a difference. Then I downloaded a trial of DVDfab, ripped the BD, ran it through handbrake which took almost three times longer, but the end video is crystal clear, no pixelation. So its obviously an issue with MKV then.

MakeMKV merely wraps the video stream in an mkv container. It does no encoding, as opposed to something like HandBrake. More likely the issue is with your video player not being able to handle the bitrate of the original video. When you "ran it through HandBrake" you re-encoded the video, most likely lowered the bitrate so your player could play it. So you really are not watching the same quality video now.

But if you like it, that is all that matters!
post #13 of 19 Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I started with The Wolverine on MakeMKV and the video came out badly pixelated

There's either some new form of protection on that disc that MakeMKV can't handle, or you're trying this on a weak-ass Mac that can't handle playing back a full-size MakeMKV blu-ray rip like djb61230 suggests, in that case it would stutter more than pixelate or you are doing something wrong either in ripping or playback. So which Mac are you using, which OS and which version of MakeMKV? What player are you using for playback of the full-size .mkv file?
Quote:
So its obviously an issue with MKV then.

Unlikely, MakeMKV has been rock solid for quite a while now on multiple versions of OS X. Until you can play a MakeMKV rip back perfectly just as it is, leave Handbrake out of the equation, you're just muddying the water.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Until you can play a MakeMKV rip back perfectly just as it is, leave Handbrake out of the equation, you're just muddying the water.
This. MakeMKV just changes the container to .mkv without in any way transcoding the video itself -- the video should be bit for bit the way it was on on the Blu-ray disk.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post

It's obvious that you don't understand video codecs, containers and MakeMKV. MakeMKV does not modify the video at all, it just stores it in an MKV container along with the audio and chapters. So if you are seeing pixelation, it's because your player/playback/hardware can't handle the full bandwidth of the video, it has nothing to do with MakeMKV. After "running it through handbrake", you've essentially reduced the bandwidth (and quality) and so now your hardware/player can handle it, that's why it works, again, it has nothing to do with MakeMKV.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 202
FYI - I am using MakeMKV to rip some blurays using my 2007 iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core2Extreme and 6GB RAM. I am using VLC Player to play it back and both work great without any stutter. I am using a cheap USB Bluray drive that I got from Amazon for $33.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I am using a cheap USB Bluray drive that I got from Amazon for $33.

that's commodity pricing for you, the friend of every HTPC owner, I can remember a few years ago when the inexpensive bluray ROM drives were $75 or so, and burners well over $100.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
It could be that your computer screen resolution is 16x10 vs. 16x9 so it appears pixelated. Have you tried playing it back on your TV yet?
post #19 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Was hoping someone could comment on this picture. I recently used MakeMKV to rip Red Bull's the Art of Flight and I get vertical banding from the MKV file.

Through the process of elimination I have confirmed that the banding exists on the .MKV file itself and nothing to do with my playback equipment. It appears in VLC, jriver, kodi, WMP... in Windows 7 or Windows 10.. at all resolutions .. and on 3 different displays.

I was looking at ByteCopy -- but I get pretty small filesizes when I choose to create an MKV with 'original' resolution and bitrate. Is there a better solution?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170105_174321.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1881489

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version