Exporting from TiVO to Mac and editing shows on Mac? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By qz3fwd
  • 1 Post By thrillcat
  • 1 Post By grubavs
  • 1 Post By Ted Todorov

post #1 of 20 Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, since TWC killed Clear QAM in NYC, I am considering getting TiVo Roamio to replace EyeTV.

The number one reason I currently use EyeTV is to record Fallon, Letterman, SNL, etc. and edit out the music performances I like, saving them permanently.

This is pretty much effortless using EyeTV. What is the pain factor going from TiVo Roamio Pro to Mac and then just keeping 4 minutes of the original recording without transcoding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

So, since TWC killed Clear QAM in NYC, I am considering getting TiVo Roamio to replace EyeTV.

The number one reason I currently use EyeTV is to record Fallon, Letterman, SNL, etc. and edit out the music performances I like, saving them permanently.

This is pretty much effortless using EyeTV. What is the pain factor going from TiVo Roamio Pro to Mac and then just keeping 4 minutes of the original recording without transcoding?

Very painfull.
Last I recall, EyeTV has no capability to import transport streams such as those you have transferred from your Tivo into its "database". Secondly EyeTV wraps up the recordings into a bundle together with thumbnails and metadata. Thirdly, the EyeTV editor is only capable of I frame editing. Anyhow, you would need to decrypt the transferred Tivo file before you ingest them into the EyeTV recording folder.
You probably could write a script / app to decrypt, and bundle the Tivo files, but nobody has developed such a utility I am aware of.

What you really need is VideoReDo, and nothing comparable exists on OS-X.
You need to either run VRD in parallels/vmware or bootcamp into windows OS on your machine.

OS-X and the apple software ecosystem really sucks w.r.t. handling mpeg2 transport streams.....
OddyOh likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info. What about using Quicktime for editing? I have the Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 473
cTivo works great for transferring shows over to your Mac. (https://code.google.com/p/ctivo/)

Editing is a different story. I'm a video editor by trade, so I use Compressor to convert recordings to AppleProRes, Final Cut Pro 7 to edit, and then Compressor again to prep them for playback via AppleTV.

Editing them natively may prove to be a little more difficult. You might have some luck with the latest iMovie, or perhaps Adobe Premiere, I've not tried either. QuickTime could probably do the work, but it would be kludgy and time consuming, and it would still require a new export when you're done editing.

With the updates to iMovie for editing camera native HD material, you might want to try that first.

Depending on what you're transferring and what the end purpose is, you may want to simply look into adding chapter markers at the end of each commercial break so you can easily skip past commercials, instead of editing them out completely...
Ted Todorov likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 20 Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the mention of cTiVo. I installed it and it's much faster at "seeing" my two TiVos' recordings than TiVo Transfer (no comparison, sometimes I have to wait about 5-minutes for both TiVo's recordings to show up).
Only thing so far is when I returned a recording to TiVo using Py-TiVo its title was that of the currently broadcasted show (11 A.M News versus the actual title of the recorded show). I'll find out how to take care of that when I've got some more time.
Thanks again!
thrillcat likes this.

Are you talking' to me?
post #6 of 20 Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Editing natively on Mac OS-X is futile. Nothing exists which will natively edit MPEG2TS which is useable.

You need windows + VideoReDO under bootcamp or virtual machine.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-07-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dear naysayers,

Editing in Quicktime works perfectly - indeed instantaneously compared to EyeTV.

Steps: download and run cTivo -- thank you Thrillcat!
Download a show from the TiVo using "Decrypted TiVo Show" to be the video format.
Open in Quicktime. It plays fine. To edit, choose "Trim" from the Edit menu -- a slider appears, select what you want to keep, press the "Trim" button, and viola -- done. You just need to save the resulting new video and delete the old one if you wish.

To edit out commercials, "Split Clip" at start and again at the end of the commercials, select just the commercials, then "delete" from the Edit menu. Done. You just need to save the resulting new video and delete the old one if you wish.

Quicktime version 10.3 (latest), OS X Mavericks (latest). I thought it might be because I have the infamous $20 Quicktime MPEG-2 component installed, but I just tried it on a Mac where I'm pretty damn sure I didn't install it, and it worked fine there as well. Try it for yourself guys.

I still haven't figured out how to get Quicktime to pass the 5.1 sound onto the optical digital sound out - Quicktime movie inspector shows the sound to be 5.1 AC3 (5.1 sound does obviously work on my Mac via EyeTV, Apple DVD Player and VLC -- I have never tried before with Quicktime though) - tips welcome.

Totally off topic, you can stop reading here (but I need to vent):
TWC wasted a week of my time, including 5 hours today until they finally got my TiVo CableCard working because someone in their central office hadn't bothered to authorize any channels on my account. The cable guy who was at my house today suspected that was the problem from the beginning (as did I), but it took him and his supervisor hours and hours on the phone before they could convince someone to fix it, while in the meantime they were forced to prove the negative - that nothing else was broken, over and over. Just pathetic. The guys who TWC sent here were great, but the rest of the company, the less said the better.
thrillcat likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey Ted, Have you tried to record with cTivo's automatic commercial remover? I made one attempt and found the recording to be unlistenable (after I had retransferred it back to TiVo via PyTiVo).
I will attempt your suggestion tomorrow when I've got some free time... BTW: after editing, did you attempt to transfer the recording back to your TiVo? I ask because my favorite (read: it works well with my reaction time and my remotes) method of watching video is via my TiVos, so I always transfer recording back to my TiVo(s) to watch them.
Thanks!

Are you talking' to me?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, here is the bad news: now that I actually started watching the resulting clips produced in editing the "Decrypted Tivo" .mpg clip in Quicktime, the the audio goes completely out of sync (saving it produces a .mov file containing mp2v 1920x1080 video & AC3 5.1 audio -- the original is reported as MPEG-2 1920x1080 video & AC3 5.1 audio). This isn't intermittent -- it is 99% reproducible and really bad.

I'm guessing this is some sort of 3/2 pulldown converting 1080i into 1080P leading to losing the audio sync problem???

So back to the drawing board. OK, how about EyeTV -- I tried dragging and dropping the original .mpg file into EyeTV and it worked, started playing no problem. But, the moment I skimmed through the recording to get to Lily Allen's performance toward the end of Jimmy Fallon, I was getting no audio at all. Indeed audio was totally lost without closing and re-opening the .mpg in EyeTV...

Does that mean that the metadata in the .eyetv package somehow keeps the audio & video in the MPEG-2 transport stream in synch or is it that the .mpg in the .eyetv package is somehow different from the .mpg that cTivo spits out?
post #10 of 20 Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Great news: MPEG Streamclip works perfectly where Quicktime failed: it edits the file quickly and easily, keeps the audio in synch, keeps the AC3 5.1 sound

Only caveat - MPEG Streamclip does require Apple's Quicktime MPEG2 component. For Mavericks follow their (Mountain) Lion installation instructions. The combination of cTivo and MPEG Streamclip plus VLC for playback with intact 5.1 audio recovers all the missing peaces from EyeTV other than its central library, but for that we have Plex, DVDPedia, etc.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Great news: MPEG Streamclip works perfectly where Quicktime failed: it edits the file quickly and easily, keeps the audio in synch, keeps the AC3 5.1 sound

Only caveat - MPEG Streamclip does require Apple's Quicktime MPEG2 component. For Mavericks follow their (Mountain) Lion installation instructions. The combination of cTivo and MPEG Streamclip plus VLC for playback with intact 5.1 audio recovers all the missing peaces from EyeTV other than its central library, but for that we have Plex, DVDPedia, etc.
Ted, I hadn't heard of cTivo before now. I'll have to give it a try. I've been downloading with kmttg and then using Turbo.264 HD to remove commercials and create an mp4 file. No audio sync problems.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Quote:

Very painfull.
Last I recall, EyeTV has no capability to import transport streams such as those you have transferred from your Tivo into its "database". Secondly EyeTV wraps up the recordings into a bundle together with thumbnails and metadata. Thirdly, the EyeTV editor is only capable of I frame editing. Anyhow, you would need to decrypt the transferred Tivo file before you ingest them into the EyeTV recording folder.
You probably could write a script / app to decrypt, and bundle the Tivo files, but nobody has developed such a utility I am aware of.

What you really need is VideoReDo, and nothing comparable exists on OS-X.
You need to either run VRD in parallels/vmware or bootcamp into windows OS on your machine.

OS-X and the apple software ecosystem really sucks w.r.t. handling mpeg2 transport streams.....[/quote

Most this is inaccurate. Video- redo hasn't had an update in quite awhile and not really the best option as from what I understand, he needs to get the file from TiVo first .. Kmttg will decode and drop the TiVo file on Mac in whatever format you want. If you don't require encoding, then it's really seamless. Kmttg also has a few programs embedded in it for additional options (handbrake, projectx and you can even add videoredo if you want, but not a must). Kmttg will cut out the commercials if needed. As far as cutting out certain segments, any standard encoding will do this easily, or you can just use QuickTime to cut it.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Ted Todorov 

Ted, I hadn't heard of cTivo before now. I'll have to give it a try. I've been downloading with kmttg and then using Turbo.264 HD to remove commercials and create an mp4 file. No audio sync problems.
I also use kmttg to download and encode to 720p with Handbrake. I can then edit with iMovie once it's a MP4 file.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-28-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
I also use kmttg to download and encode to 720p with Handbrake. I can then edit with iMovie once it's a MP4 file.
Since cTivo is working well for me, I don't feel the urge to try another program that does essentially the same thing -- especially if I have to install Java to run it -- is that the case, kmttg users?

From the description kmttg does one more thing that cTivo doesn't -- it covers some of the same functionality as the Tivo iPad app -- scheduling recordings on the Tivo, etc. What would induce me to to try another Mac program would be if it covered the other Tivo iOS feature: ability to play live TV or stream past recordings (and allow you to easily scrub through them).
post #15 of 20 Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in this same boat and now on Mac OS X Sierra.

Any updates to this?

I really liked VideoRedo but not sure I want to keep a Windows machine around just for that. Just need to trim commercials from the beginning and end of a few recorded shows per year. Save back tot he original mpg (with subtitles of possible) then I extract the bus and use mkvmerge to make a nice mkv.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramias View Post
I am in this same boat and now on Mac OS X Sierra.

Any updates to this?

I really liked VideoRedo but not sure I want to keep a Windows machine around just for that. Just need to trim commercials from the beginning and end of a few recorded shows per year. Save back tot he original mpg (with subtitles of possible) then I extract the bus and use mkvmerge to make a nice mkv.
I use MetaX to generate all my needed meta tags. It even handles chapters.Sorry, no link as I purchased through and get my updates from Macupdate.com.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
Since cTivo is working well for me, I don't feel the urge to try another program that does essentially the same thing -- especially if I have to install Java to run it -- is that the case, kmttg users?

From the description kmttg does one more thing that cTivo doesn't -- it covers some of the same functionality as the Tivo iPad app -- scheduling recordings on the Tivo, etc. What would induce me to to try another Mac program would be if it covered the other Tivo iOS feature: ability to play live TV or stream past recordings (and allow you to easily scrub through them).
Although I do have cTivo, I use kmttg more often primarily because it can do almost everything you want, especially strip out those boring commercials. The files are quite large depending on what you choose to save them as but handbrake is a great utility to reduce the size without suffering too much quality loss. Kmttg has way more features that I haven't even played with yet. Written in Jave, must have the latest java install to run but it will run on anything. And the author is on the Tivo forums all the time so any questions you have will be quickly answered. I have 3 Tivo Premieres that both do OTA and cable. Kmttg see it all, no problem.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a tivo series three, it works great and you should be prepared for the shows to be "locked inside" your DVR. I would get the premiere over the romio because of compatablilty with Toast 11, I use toast 10 which still runs on OS X Serra. The main features of the newer TiVos are unlocking that content for use on other devices. I would look in to an iPad or iPhone or android to watch your shows on as any locked down channels (any channels you pay for and can't get over the air normallly, like CNN or TBS or TNT or FX) will lock the recordings down so they can not be transferred out of the TiVo except by streaming only! That's what the cable co wants, to lock out your ability to leagally timeshift and archive HD shows! I would get a TiVo with component outputs and also buy a Hauppague HD PVR model 1212 so no matter what digital protections the programmer puts up you have an analog hole to drain the shows out of the TiVo where you can later archive the shows or burn them to blu-ray. It's really the only tried and true way. HDMI solutions give the best video quality, sure, but HDCP makes them unusable. Stick to a early 2010s era TiVo and make sure it has component outputs!
post #19 of 20 Old 01-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I use cTivo, will I be able to stream all TIVO content to a Mac? I see above something was mentioned about TIVO shows being 'locked inside'.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-24-2018, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

NBC is now .ts instead of MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
If I use cTivo, will I be able to stream all TIVO content to a Mac? I see above something was mentioned about TIVO shows being 'locked inside'.
cTivo only allows you to download the "over the air" channels - networks, PBS, local stations, etc. Anything else - TNT, TBS, HBO, etc. no. Does kmttg act differently?

In November, NBC's programs started downloading as .ts (Transport Stream) instead of .mpeg. All other channels are still .mpeg That is not an issue for either cTivo or MPEG Streamclip but playback using VLC chokes if it is done remotely - constant stuttering (i.e. the files are on my Mac Pro and I am playing them back on my MacBook Pro) Unless I either copy them to over or convert them, I can't watch them on the MacBook. Google has some suggestions for VLC settings, but are apparently either about an older version of VLC or Windows. Anyone know how to play back .ts files remotely on a Mac?

The good news is that .ts still plays fine remotely via Infuse Pro (which I recommend very highly) on AppleTV or iPad. Unfortunately they don't (yet???) have a Mac version of Infuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page