Mac mini late 2014 - 4K and Audio HD support? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamjunkee View Post
Many thanks for the reply. I read more about OpenELEC and looks the way to go!
Now I only need to figure out how to do a dual-boot Mini, so that I still keep OS X for a while and can boot into the OpenELEC to get used to it. Not much is written for dual-boot set-ups for late 2014 Minis, but I'll try. If anyone knows a link to a tutorial, I'd very much appreciate!
Cheers!
I briefly looked into dual-booting and gave up. It wasn't trivial and I didn't really need OS X on my Mac Mini anyway. It will be a challenge but I don't think it's impossible.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamjunkee View Post
Many thanks for the reply. I read more about OpenELEC and looks the way to go!
Now I only need to figure out how to do a dual-boot Mini, so that I still keep OS X for a while and can boot into the OpenELEC to get used to it. Not much is written for dual-boot set-ups for late 2014 Minis, but I'll try. If anyone knows a link to a tutorial, I'd very much appreciate!
Cheers!
The way I have seen most do it is simply to install openelec onto a thumb drive boot onto the thumb drive to make sure you are going to like it.

@virtualrain edit: NVM, I didn't see your post on the second page here.

I think I read that macs do not do so hot running without OSX installed as well but I cannot remember. It sounds like you are doing ok with it though. I am going to be attempting this for my brother this weekend as the mac mini I gave him continues to act up (I think it is OSX related, fresh install of Kodi didn't help).
post #33 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
The way I have seen most do it is simply to install openelec onto a thumb drive boot onto the thumb drive to make sure you are going to like it.

@virtualrain edit: NVM, I didn't see your post on the second page here.

I think I read that macs do not do so hot running without OSX installed as well but I cannot remember. It sounds like you are doing ok with it though. I am going to be attempting this for my brother this weekend as the mac mini I gave him continues to act up (I think it is OSX related, fresh install of Kodi didn't help).

I run OE only off the Mini HD. No OS X or dual booting. I Setup the OE installer on a bootable USB as per the OE wiki and then boot to the USB to install (hold Option key on keyboard while starting the Mini to select the boot volume), once installed, remove the USB and reboot to the HD. Takes about 5 min
trevordj likes this.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
I run OE only off the Mini HD. No OS X or dual booting. I Setup the OE installer on a bootable USB as per the OE wiki and then boot to the USB to install (hold Option key on keyboard while starting the Mini to select the boot volume), once installed, remove the USB and reboot to the HD. Takes about 5 min
Cool, thank you!
post #35 of 39 Old 03-12-2016, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i installed 3 systems on one mac mini (OSX and Windows 10 and Openelec on bootable USB3 ) so i used 3 operating system on my Mac mini
post #36 of 39 Old 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the Mac Mini late 2014 support 3D output on Windows?
post #37 of 39 Old 11-02-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsamy View Post
i installed 3 systems on one mac mini (OSX and Windows 10 and Openelec on bootable USB3 ) so i used 3 operating system on my Mac mini
How is openElec? I have never used it but only heard about it. How hard is it to create a bootable USB stick for this? I tried once and gave up because it did not work.
post #38 of 39 Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I just wanted to update everyone on my Mac Mini 2014.

I bought it in mid 2015. The 1TB HDD 8GB RAM 2.6GHz i5 version. It works flawlessly. The HDD was slow though. So, during Black Friday sale, I bought a 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD for $220 through newegg and followed the instructions in iFixit to replace the HDD. Everything went without hitch. Just make sure you have all the correct tools. It was actually quite easy to do it even though it took a while and you need to make sure you don't lose any screws. My Mac is super fast now. I store all my music and OS/apps in the SSD itself while eyeTV recordings and movie rips go into an external HDD (USB3). I use Plex. I have configured Plex to say I don't have a receivers with DTS or Dolby Digital capability. So, Plex converts everything to PCM5.1 or 7.1 through HDMI to my receiver. I rip my Blurays with FLAC preset using MakeMKV. It converts the lossless audio codecs into FLAC so that Plex can play them without any loss in quality. Have been very happy. I also use Audirvana for all my music and I use their A+ iPhone app to control it without having to turn on my projector. Love my setup.
odiest likes this.
post #39 of 39 Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Just to follow up on my path to finding a solution on a Mac Mini that can bitstream HD Audio...

I've installed OpenELEC and Kodi on a 2014 Mac Mini which has proven very easy and rewarding. I don't miss OS X as it's an exclusive media player box and I only ever interact with it via the remote. It plays everything I've thrown at it, including bitstreaming Atmos soundtracks. Of course I don't have any 4K content, but all my high bit-rate 1080p stuff plays perfectly.
I'm assuming that this is the same virtualrain from the Macrumours forum ? You helped me out quite a bit in choosing a 4K display for my 2013 NMP. At any rate …

Ive been running a 2012 quad-core Mini HT for the last several years. I have all of my BLuRays ripped via MakeMKV to a large Thunderbolt "Raid". I use PlexHT which I used to like, but strongly dislike now since I think updates have made the UI more difficult to use.

I am seriously thinking of either installing a windows partition or OpenELEC. I have some questions about OpenELEC:

1) Is the install pretty painless ? Did you have to edit config files and debug the install at all ?
2) Do you think the TB port will be supported right off the bat ?
3) I will always be able to reboot back to OSX from a drive that has a clone of my current system, correct ?
4) Since your interest is audio, you may not be able to answer this, but I'm guessing I will still be plagued by the regular glitching caused by the poor 24p hardware support ?

Thanks if you can help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Tags
4k/uhd , late 2014 , mini

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page