Do modern Mac Minis play nice with HDMI switching? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Do modern Mac Minis play nice with HDMI switching?

I have a 2010 Mac Mini in my AV rack and it works well, except that it's completely unable to cope with being on an HDMI switch. As soon as I switch to another input, the Mini stops sending anything over its HDMI port until I physically unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable. Seems to be a hardware issue, not an OS bug, because it happens on Windows 7 in Boot Camp as well. Googling around, I see it reported by lots of other people too.

Is this problem still present in the current Mini? The problem is enough of an annoyance that I'm willing to switch to a new computer -- I'd prefer to stick with a Mac but if the problem still exists, I'll jump ship.

By the way, I've tried sticking two different powered EDID cloning devices in between the Mini and the switch in the hopes of fooling the Mini into thinking the display is always connected. They don't help.

Alternately, I suppose, if there's an HDMI switch that's known to properly wake up the display on a 2010 Mini, I can go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2012 Mac Mini, and do not have the problem you described. It runs through a Monoprice HDMI switcher.

John

I swear I'll burn those downloaded Replay files to DVD!
(Someday.)

Last edited by jdonigan; 11-20-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add last sentence
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Just got a new Mini and and JVC X500 projector and no problems at all. Even switching from 1080 to 4K works fine. I've use it directly hooked to the display and thru my pre/pro and old Onkyo 885. The mini show the correct device name under hdmi info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have the latest Mac Mini connected to my Yamaha receiver, and I often can't get the picture back when I switch from another source on my receiver, unless I turn the TV off and back on.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreth View Post
I have a 2010 Mac Mini in my AV rack and it works well, except that it's completely unable to cope with being on an HDMI switch. As soon as I switch to another input, the Mini stops sending anything over its HDMI port until I physically unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable. Seems to be a hardware issue, not an OS bug, because it happens on Windows 7 in Boot Camp as well. Googling around, I see it reported by lots of other people too.

Is this problem still present in the current Mini? The problem is enough of an annoyance that I'm willing to switch to a new computer -- I'd prefer to stick with a Mac but if the problem still exists, I'll jump ship.

By the way, I've tried sticking two different powered EDID cloning devices in between the Mini and the switch in the hopes of fooling the Mini into thinking the display is always connected. They don't help.

Alternately, I suppose, if there's an HDMI switch that's known to properly wake up the display on a 2010 Mini, I can go that route.
I too have a new mini and have been following this on multiple apple forums. It seems that some are okay and others aren't. Mine works fine after the first yosemite update. I think it now boils down to this:

It seems that those who have older tv's and monitors might be having issues. The firmware HDMI on these devices can be anywhere from 1.0 to 2.0. with 1.2, 1.4 etc in between. The people with 2.0 seem to not notice any issues. Those with older tv's often do. Now, Apple should be addressing this as everyone can't go out and buy a new monitor/tv. It should be backward compatible. My Sony Bravia does automatic updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	system.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	490946  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 2010 Mac Mini as my living HTPC and am similarly frustrated, my specific issue is that when I turn off my television, even though my receiver is still on the Mini will "think" that the HDMI connection is totally gone and while it's handshaking or whatever it drops the audio from my stereo system to its internal speaker. The only way to get it back is to turn the TV back on and try again.

The really weird thing is, it's totally dependent on the app I'm using. For example, with Pandora's desktop (Adobe AIR) client it will freak out for a second and then start playing to the stereo again. For a web browser though, like Chrome running Slacker Radio, it will never come back and the TV simply has to be left on forever.

Seems like it should be fixable in OS X, but since Apple doesn't seem concerned about this in the least (they'd tell you to buy a less functional Apple TV) the solution I've been thinking about is buying a dongle that goes on the back of the Mini and just lies to it and tells it the EDID is never changing.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
If you are not using lossless surround audio, there is no advantage to having HDMI for audio. So, if you don't mind adding a mini Toslink to Toslink cable to your setup, just do it and it will be a lot more stable. No EDID and no complicated hand shaking.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mine does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro16 View Post
Mine does.
Thanks for that feedback! Ultimately what I decided to do was just beef up the storage and memory on my old Mini and use a fourth generation ATV as our front end for display (since it supports Plex and all). But if I ever start using the Mini a lot again (it still has its own input on the receiver) I'll keep that in mind as a reason to upgrade it.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I'm stuggling with this issue.

I use an ATV4k for most everything these days but it can't do some of my audio files and it's difficult to navigate headless. (I have had a little luck using Siri to open Plex and then using my iPhone to navigate plex remotely)

So, I use a 2010 Mac Mini for audio only and it's great until I turn off my projector because that breaks the HDMI output of the mac mini even though all I want from the Mac Mini is Audio and my AVR is still on.

I bought a passive EDID spoof device that will come in next week and I hope it works. Someone in the reviews said they don't recommend it for HTPC type configurations because you can only get 2 channel audio from it but I believe that if I put it after the AVR the audio problem will be irrelevent.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page