Elgato has sold off EyeTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bill View Post
Exactly the same here.

I looked at what happens on the network when I click "Update Now" and I see it making an HTTPS connection to "services.eyetv.com", which isn't very encouraging...
My subscription expired. I was having the same issues with the new TV Guide. I bought it from the Geniatech "Shop" and was able to get the activation key to work. My subscription was good through June 24, 2017. And then I kept getting the message "update failed (could not connect to server)". I was running OS 10.6.8 on a 2009 Mac Mini. I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!

Not sure if this will work for others, but it worked for me.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-MT View Post
.... I was running OS 10.6.8 on a 2009 Mac Mini. I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!
Sounds like that's the official line - I finally got a reply from tech support:
Quote:
I suggest you to upgrade your Mac OS to 10.9 or higher. The System Requirements of EyeTV 3 is OS X 10.9 or later. Thank you for your understanding.
I'd actually looked on their website for system requirements and been unable to find them, so this is the first I'd heard of the 10.9 requirement. Unfortunately, this won't work for me, as our 2007 Mac Mini only supports through 10.7. Since we expect to soon move to the boonies with no OTA reception at all - and satellite isn't worth it for us, so we'll go all-streaming + mailed DVDs (!) - I'm not going to upgrade now, since everything else works fine. No point in upgrading before it's necessary. As long as I still have a browser that will handle Netflix, I'm good.

I replied to Geniatech asking about refund procedure, but it occurs to me - I've seen mention of the program guide database, but is it an actual file that can be accessed? Because if so I could run a copy of EyeTV on my personal computer (10.11) and update the program guide there. I'm investigating now.

Anne
post #33 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-MT View Post
I finally downloaded the latest os (10.11.5) and after restarting the mac mini a few times, I got the TV guide to update...Success!

Not sure if this will work for others, but it worked for me.

Dave
Thanks, that's good to know. Geniatech's instructions don't mention it (but they're pretty much gibberish anyway: ``With regards to authorization server upgrade, we are apologize to claim, that you need to follow with below steps carefully - to activate your EPG - Subscription.'')

Kind of annoying as the mid-2007 mini mac I use on the TV won't run the new Mac OS. We shall see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 PM

A quick follow-up to my post of an hour ago:

Geniatech got back to me very quickly with a link to request a refund.

But meanwhile, I installed EyeTV on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, connected my hybrid to scan channels, and the program guide updated just fine. So apparently the OS was, in fact, the only issue I was having.

I found a likely-looking file at /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/EyeTVEPG.db (that's the top-level, not user-level library) and transferred it to my Mac Mini, and my program guide is showing up in EyeTV on the Mini now.

So rather than request the refund, I'm thinking I might just set up an alarm to do a once-weekly update & transfer of that file from my MacBook to the Mini. A bit of a pain, but if it continues to work, I don't think it will be that bad.
J.Bill likes this.
post #35 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjudge View Post
A quick follow-up to my post of an hour ago:
I found a likely-looking file at /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/EyeTVEPG.db (that's the top-level, not user-level library) and transferred it to my Mac Mini, and my program guide is showing up in EyeTV on the Mini now.
Hey, that's a great idea! (Sure, kind of a kludge (as we used to say 100 years ago) but I like it a lot better than spending $500 on a new mini mac to protect my investment in a $20 TV Guide subscription.)
post #36 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Liked: 10
Smile

[QUOTE=avjudge;44318210]A quick follow-up to my post of an hour ago:

But meanwhile, I installed EyeTV on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, connected my hybrid to scan channels, and the program guide updated just fine. So apparently the OS was, in fact, the only issue I was having.

Glad you finally got things straightened out!
post #37 of 48 Old 05-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Message from Geniatech

I received this response from Mike at Geniatech

Mike Decker /GENIATECH
AttachmentsMay 29 (2 days ago)

to GTE, me
Hi Dave,

For older Mac`s with older OSX – we develop a fix and release new build, please see attached you must perform both necessary steps. Main reason why it has not updating are security reason as older Mac/ OSX can not verify / recognize correct our server certificate automatically (newer OSX version does this correct and auto).

Please let us know – if this has worked out for your older mac.

Kind regards
Mike

***The instructions are attached--Let me know if you attachment did not come through--Note that I tried posting Mike Decker's email but the moderator would not let me since I have fewer than 5 posts (this is my first).

As mentioned before I updated my 2009 Mac Mini to the latest OS (El Capitan) and and the TV Guide updates just fine.
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EyeTV Fix. pdf.pdf (174.1 KB, 146 views)
post #38 of 48 Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM

I just heard from Geniatech again, and came here to post about it, but see that Dave-in-MT has beaten me to it!

I just downloaded the new build of 3.6.9 (7416) and my program guide is finally updating successfully on my Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

This new build is now the one available at the link given in their "How to extend your EPG subscription successfully" article:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/h...-successfully/

(Dave got a fuller explanation than I did from Geniatech - they just told me there was a known issue with 7415 & download 7416.)

Last edited by avjudge; 06-01-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #39 of 48 Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by avjudge View Post
I just heard from Geniatech again, and came here to post about it, but see that Dave-in-MT has beaten me to it!

I just downloaded the new build of 3.6.9 (7416) and my program guide is finally updating successfully on my Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

This new build is now the one available at the link given in their "How to extend your EPG subscription successfully" article:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/h...-successfully/

(Dave got a fuller explanation than I did from Geniatech - they just told me there was a known issue with 7415 & download 7416.)
Great-thank you. Downloaded 3.6.9-7416 and installed on 10.6.8 and the TVGuide is updating and populating the grid!
No more PSIP reliance! Great job.
post #40 of 48 Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is anyone having troubles with EyeTV 3.6.9-7416 on OS10.11.5? My EPG goes until this Saturday and will not update any further.
post #41 of 48 Old 06-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 View Post
Is anyone having troubles with EyeTV 3.6.9-7416 on OS10.11.5? My EPG goes until this Saturday and will not update any further.
I had that same problem. To solve it, I bought a new TV Guide subscription. My previous subscription would have ended in February but was extended a year, so I was getting a freebie for the last several months. It seems to me that with 3.6.9, those extensions became invalid. Getting the new subscription and clearing the EPG got me back in business

Roger in DTW
post #42 of 48 Old 06-08-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EPG Stops at Saturday

My TVGuide loads thru Saturday and stops. I first noticed that it would only load thru Saturday about a week ago. I've cleared and EPG database and retried the download, but I get the same result - programming through Saturday noon. I'm running 3.6.9 (7416) on a MBPro with 10.11.5. My TVGuide subscription expires in late Nov. 2016, so a subscription renewal in June is a no-go for me.

I sent an e-mail to support and received their canned auto-reply that they would get back to me. Hopefully, it will be before Saturday.
post #43 of 48 Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 PM
esh

I also sent a email to support 2 days ago and have not got a response yet but I figured out how to get it to work.
I had to register on services.geniatech.eu then in eyetv from the guide use the email address and password I just registered on services.geniatech.eu. In my case I used the same email address so All I need to do was change my password.

I hope this helps others that have the same problem.
post #44 of 48 Old 06-09-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh View Post
I also sent a email to support 2 days ago and have not got a response yet but I figured out how to get it to work.
I had to register on services.geniatech.eu then in eyetv from the guide use the email address and password I just registered on services.geniatech.eu. In my case I used the same email address so All I need to do was change my password.

I hope this helps others that have the same problem.
It looks like what ever OS version you are running or EyeTV version or even when you last renewed your TVGuide subscription you still need to register at services.geniatech.eu. It would have been nice for them to have sent some kind of notice that this was the new process. My system had been working just fine until sometime in the last two weeks when it stopped updating the EPG. I am glad I had looked forward and noticed it was no longer updating before it was too late.
post #45 of 48 Old 06-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks to all for this thread. I was going crazy trying to get things to work, and for some reason I never received responses from Geniatech, but I now have TV Guide working with my copy of EyeTV 3.

John

I swear I'll burn those downloaded Replay files to DVD!
(Someday.)
post #46 of 48 Old 06-14-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still no replay from Geniatech; hopefully, this isn't an indication of their future services.

Taking Phillie14586's advice, I registered at services.geniatech.eu using my Elgato e-mail and a new password. The Geniatech site immediately showed all of my registered products.
post #47 of 48 Old 10-24-2016, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been using eyeTV with HDHomeRun for the past 8 years and last week it died. I have ordered another HDHomeRun but it is currently backordered!!
post #48 of 48 Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just successfully renewed the TV Guide subscription for my EyeTV software's program guide. I thought I'd post here that the services.geniatech.eu server was very slow to respond, so it took forever for both EyeTV to accept the renewal code link you get in email.

I also tried logging into my support account at services.geniatech.eu and it was just as slow. It looks like all services provided by services.geniatech.eu are running very very slowly right now, but have patience and the operations will complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page