Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Elgato has sold off EyeTV

For anyone else who relies on EyeTV as the DVR software for their Mac HTPC... (I use it to record OTA HDTV programs into a Mac mini with two internal drives of storage)

Elgato has decided to concentrate on their line of home automation products and has gotten out of the TV recording business. They have sold off EyeTV to a company called Geniatech Europe which is a subsidiary of a company which appears to be Chinese (Shenzhen Geniatech). They claim to be working on a new version ("We are also planning the next generation of award-winning EyeTV 4 software with a new and modern user experience"). I don't know anything else other than what is in the links below, I just hope it will keep working for many more years.

Press release: Elgato Sells EyeTV

Transition page at Elgato.com: Questions & Answers

Quote:
Questions & Answers

Will EyeTV products still be available?

Yes. Existing EyeTV products will continue to be sold by Geniatech, with an exciting roadmap ahead. For details, please visit the Geniatech website.

Will EyeTV software and TV apps still be available?

Yes. Geniatech will continue to develop end enhance EyeTV software and TV apps.

Where can I get support for my EyeTV product?

Starting March 5, 2016, end user technical support will be provided by Geniatech. For details, please visit the Geniatech website.

Will my program guide continue to work?

Yes. Your guide will continue to work for the remainder of your TV Guide subscription. New subscriptions will be available for purchase from Geniatech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-10-2016, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the update. I'm not sure it's a bad thing that elgato sold the software, I think it's been almost a year since the last update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 48 Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimus7 View Post
For anyone else who relies on EyeTV as the DVR software for their Mac HTPC... (I use it to record OTA HDTV programs into a Mac mini with two internal drives of storage)

Elgato has decided to concentrate on their line of home automation products and has gotten out of the TV recording business. They have sold off EyeTV to a company called Geniatech Europe which is a subsidiary of a company which appears to be Chinese (Shenzhen Geniatech). They claim to be working on a new version ("We are also planning the next generation of award-winning EyeTV 4 software with a new and modern user experience"). I don't know anything else other than what is in the links below, I just hope it will keep working for many more years.

Press release: Elgato Sells EyeTV

Transition page at Elgato.com: Questions & Answers
The Elgato website says
Quote:
Will my program guide continue to work?

Yes. Your guide will continue to work for the remainder of your TV Guide subscription. New subscriptions will be available for purchase from Geniatech.
But my GraceNote EPG service stopped working yesterday. I don't know whether it's a consequence of the change of owner, but it seem like an unlikely coincidence if it's not.

Fortunately the DVB option still works, but GraceNote is a better service and I'm paid up for it to September.

Our household depends entirely on EyeTV hardware and software for all it's live and recorded TV.

(I'm in the UK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah Geniatech is China based company... http://www.geniatech.com/about-us.asp Their products before qcquiring EyeTV are android based... I don't see any that are MacOS based except for purchase of EyeTV hmm...
post #5 of 48 Old 03-14-2016, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the update. I hope they keep supporting the EyeTv software.

Our TV Guide Subscription ends March 29, 2016. So I took a look at Geniatech website for the TV Guide (USA) renewal per Elgato's info, but have found nothing yet. Will e-mail Geniatech about this and will let you know their response.

Happy trails,

Tom
post #6 of 48 Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM

Well that was a fast reply from Geniatech... will have to see how this works out.

On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:31 PM, sales <[email protected]> wrote/replyed:

Dear Tom:

Thanks for using Eyetv, and we are transfering all service from Elgato to us, and during the transation, we won't stop any subscriptions even it is over time, we will restart to collect the continious subscritions end of March, worst case end of April, during this time, you can use the service as before.

Best Regard

2016-03-15
sales

Time:2016-03-14 8:31 AM
Subject:EyeTv TV Guide Subsrciption
To:"sales"<[email protected]>

Dear Geniatech Sales:

Hope you find the purchase of Elgato’s EyeTv hardware and software a good venture.

I am a owner of an EyeTv tuner and the EyeTv Software and find both exceptional products. We are located in the USA.

We do have an urgent request! Our TV Guide Subscription ends on March 29, 2016. I have looked at your Geniatech website for the TV Guide (USA) renewal per Elgato's info, but have found nothing about how to renew our subscription.

Please point me in the right direction in renewing our TV Guide subscription.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
post #7 of 48 Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gracenote is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
... my GraceNote EPG service stopped working yesterday. I don't know whether it's a consequence of the change of owner, but it seem like an unlikely coincidence if it's not.
(I'm in the UK).
Gracenote came back today, EyeTV 3.6.8 working as well as ever with it.
post #8 of 48 Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boult View Post
Yeah Geniatech is China based company... http://www.geniatech.com/about-us.asp Their products before qcquiring EyeTV are android based... I don't see any that are MacOS based except for purchase of EyeTV hmm...
Maybe that was the point; Geniatech had no Apple presence and perhaps this was a quick way to get one. iOS has recently become a huge business for Apple in China, and as for the Mac, in January 2016 Apple said their Mac sales in China were up 27% from the previous year.

Maybe Geniatech wants a piece of this high-growth action.
Tom the Piddler likes this.
post #9 of 48 Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I have been using eyeTV with HDHomeRun for the past 8 years and last week it died. I have ordered another HDHomeRun but it is currently backordered!! That was my only tuner upstairs since I have only a projector there. No broadcast TV for a while. Managing with Netflix for now!
post #10 of 48 Old 03-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I have been using eyeTV with HDHomeRun for the past 8 years and last week it died. I have ordered another HDHomeRun but it is currently backordered!! That was my only tuner upstairs since I have only a projector there. No broadcast TV for a while. Managing with Netflix for now!
Oftentimes, it is the $11 transformer that has died rather than the HDHomerun box. You might try finding a compatible power supply instead of replacing everything.

Craig
post #11 of 48 Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post
Well that was a fast reply from Geniatech... will have to see how this works out.

On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:31 PM, sales <[email protected]> wrote/replyed:

Dear Tom:

Thanks for using Eyetv, and we are transfering all service from Elgato to us, and during the transation, we won't stop any subscriptions even it is over time, we will restart to collect the continious subscritions end of March, worst case end of April, during this time, you can use the service as before.

Best Regard

2016-03-15
sales

Time:2016-03-14 8:31 AM
Subject:EyeTv TV Guide Subsrciption
To:"sales"<[email protected]>

Dear Geniatech Sales:

Hope you find the purchase of Elgato’s EyeTv hardware and software a good venture.

I am a owner of an EyeTv tuner and the EyeTv Software and find both exceptional products. We are located in the USA.

We do have an urgent request! Our TV Guide Subscription ends on March 29, 2016. I have looked at your Geniatech website for the TV Guide (USA) renewal per Elgato's info, but have found nothing about how to renew our subscription.

Please point me in the right direction in renewing our TV Guide subscription.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Mine just expired today and I couldn't figure out how to renew it. Started looking around and found this forum. Have you heard anything else other than they plan on having them available sometime in the next month or so? Is there anything else we can do in the US for the guide?
post #12 of 48 Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 AM

Stt222,

Mine expired on March 29th and is still updating the programs, even though the EyeTV preference pane says it will expire March 29, 2016. Hope yours is also still updating your programs. I will let y'all know if this changes.

I guess Geniatech will e-mail us with a way to re-new when they get squared away with a renewal process.

I do not know how many of us are on the TV Guide Subscription service, but I hope it is enough of us to keep it alive. Until then lets hope Geniatech keeps our TV programs updating.

I do not know of any other service like this one, but TV Guide does offer an limited online service of some sort.

I know the EyeTV TV Guide is a unique program, and would be hard and cumbersome to replace.

Happy trials,

Tom

ps: Here is the last e-mail I received from Geniatech after thanking them for the fast reply in the above post -

"On Mar 17, 2016, at 9:22 AM, sales <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Tom:

Thanks, we will bring more new products to EyeTV and offer better s/w update in the near future, that is our goal, to make good products under good brand name.

Best Regards

2016-03-17
sales"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stt222 View Post
Mine just expired today and I couldn't figure out how to renew it. Started looking around and found this forum. Have you heard anything else other than they plan on having them available sometime in the next month or so? Is there anything else we can do in the US for the guide?
post #13 of 48 Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 786
It would appear they're concentrating elsewhere (Europe, UK) now. Hardwarewise, anyways. I wanted to purchase one of the USB tuners for my Mac, and they just cannot be had anymore.

There's a few on Amazon and Flebay, but prices have skyrocketed being discontinued. A very few other brands could work, but my Mac refuses to boot any type of Linux.

Last edited by rezzy; 04-09-2016 at 09:19 AM.
post #14 of 48 Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
It would appear they're concentrating elsewhere (Europe, UK) now. Hardwarewise, anyways. I wanted to purchase one of the USB tuners for my Mac, and they just cannot be had anymore.

There's a few on Amazon and Flebay, but prices have skyrocketed being discontinued. A very few other brands could work, but my Mac refuses to boot any type of Linux.
I haven't missed the EyeTV hardware since the EyeTV software works well enough with the affordable HDHomeRun tuners, which are convenient since they are standalone network devices that work with many software and hardware clients including tablets and phones.
post #15 of 48 Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Support, news and downloads:
https://www.geniatech.eu/

Hope they get this cranking again. I use the heck out of EyeTv for recording and commercial cutting.

post #16 of 48 Old 05-16-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kragger View Post
Support, news and downloads:
https://www.geniatech.eu/

Hope they get this cranking again. I use the heck out of EyeTv for recording and commercial cutting.
TVGuide expired.
Went to Elgato support->new owner website.
Went to shop.
Ordered TVGuide 1 Year Update-Payment Went Through, Received Link & Instructions.
Installed new Version & Updated Guide Subscription w/Link- OK.
No Updates. Clear EPG. No Guide Data Anymore.
Click Update -> Error Message "Could Not Connect To Server".
Internet Connection Works Fine.
Reverted To ATSC PSIP Guide Data. OK. But Now No Extended Metadata.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 05-16-2016 at 01:58 PM.
post #17 of 48 Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
TVGuide expired.
Went to shop.
Ordered TVGuide 1 Year Update-Payment Went Through, Received Link & Instructions.
They seem to have released a new build of EyeTV, but the built-in updater won't find it, you have to manually install it from bit .ly /eyetv3latest you have to have this version for the new TV Guide subscription to work. You then need to re-register your TV Guide subscription to the same address as you used to checkout from their webshop (EyeTV->Preferences->Guide->Change->New Account). They explain it all (somewhat poorly) here: https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/h...-successfully/

Their webshop is a bit quirky, clearly not made for US/Canadian customers. There is no field for State/Provence in the address field? They charge in Euros, but note that it is only good for US/Canada and then charge European VAT? Ended up costing about $21

Last edited by slopduck; 05-18-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-18-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopduck View Post
They explain it all (somewhat poorly) here:
I paid for the upgrade yesterday and followed the directions at the above link (upgrade software, re-create account, etc.), but I'm having the same "could not connect to server" error that the previous poster reported.

The guide portion of the preferences does show my subscription as good into June 2017.

I sent email to the company; we'll see what I hear.
post #19 of 48 Old 05-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
TVGuide expired.
Went to shop.
I've used the TVGuide with my ElGato Hybrid for many years. This year TW encrypted all the cable channels so I ditched them and installed an OTA antenna. I get the major networks which is fine. But like everyone else here my TVGuide subscription just ended. When I try to setup the OTA ATSC program guide it doesn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. What is the ATSC PSIP Guide you mention? Any help would be appreciated! thx
post #20 of 48 Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjudge View Post
I paid for the upgrade yesterday and followed the directions at the above link (upgrade software, re-create account, etc.), but I'm having the same "could not connect to server" error that the previous poster reported.

The guide portion of the preferences does show my subscription as good into June 2017.

I sent email to the company; we'll see what I hear.
Pls keep us informed. thx
post #21 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
TVGuide expired.
Went to shop.
I decided to renew my TV Guide subscription again. The other ways to get EPG data just didn't work out very well. So I paid my money and tried to set up a new account. It kept saying the email address is already being used. Of course it is since that's my email address from the last time I renewed TV Guide. I finally figured out what was causing the problem. A few months ago I was having a problem with EyeTV not recording some channels so someone at Eyetv support sent me a link for the latest beta of Eyetv. Right after i trashed that beta and installed the latest public release everything went fine. TV Guide with Eyetv seems to be working fine now.
post #22 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenn5 View Post
...someone at Eyetv support sent me a link for the latest beta of Eyetv. Right after i trashed that beta and installed the latest public release everything went fine...
I'm glad you found something that worked for you! Is your version 3.6.9(7415)?

I wrote Geniatech twice last week, using the contact form on the support page, and haven't heard anything back from them.

Now that the last programmed record has completed, I went ahead and cleared the EPG database and re-ran autotune on the channel line-up, but still no luck. I'm still getting the same error - "update failed (could not connect to server)." It continues to show my TV Guide account as active until June 18, 2017.

This is getting frustrating!

I see farther up this thread that Tom the Piddler got a response from a sales email address - maybe I'll try that.
post #23 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=avjudge;44241330]I'm glad you found something that worked for you! Is your version 3.6.9(7415)?

Yep. That's the one.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I guess what they say on their automated email response about getting back to you in 1 day isn't entirely accurate.
post #24 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM

[quote=lenn5;44241818]
Quote:
I guess what they say on their automated email response about getting back to you in 1 day isn't entirely accurate.
Hmm, I didn't even get an automated response - I hit send and that was it, nothing. So maybe they aren't getting my message at all - don't know why.
post #25 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Apparently I can't edit my posts, so sorry for two posts so close together - but my previous one is now inaccurate - I just got an auto-reply. The only change I know of is that this last time I contacted them, instead of giving my main email address ([email protected]), I used my gmail address. Maybe their software didn't handle the more complex address correctly? Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that now I get some help.
post #26 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Apparently I can't edit my posts, so sorry for two posts so close together - but my previous one is now inaccurate - I just got an auto-reply. The only change I know of is that this last time I contacted them, instead of giving my main email address ([email protected]), I used my gmail address. Maybe their software didn't handle the more complex address correctly? Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that now I get some help.
Just curious what brand/model of tv tuner are you using? I've got an ElGato Hybrid stick.
post #27 of 48 Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
I'm glad you found something that worked for you! Is your version 3.6.9(7415)?

I wrote Geniatech twice last week, using the contact form on the support page, and haven't heard anything back from them.

Now that the last programmed record has completed, I went ahead and cleared the EPG database and re-ran autotune on the channel line-up, but still no luck. I'm still getting the same error - "update failed (could not connect to server)." It continues to show my TV Guide account as active until June 18, 2017.

This is getting frustrating!

I see farther up this thread that Tom the Piddler got a response from a sales email address - maybe I'll try that.
Exact same problem I have.
Latest software loaded.
Re-registered account.
Cleared EPG.
Applied TVGuide subscription link. Now valid till 2017.
Could not reach server.......
Relying on PSIP for now.
post #28 of 48 Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 PM

26 hours since I got my autoreply from Geniatech support and no actual human-written contact yet . . . still waiting.

Lenn5 - I also have the EyeTV Hybrid stick, on a 2007 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I'm next door to Boston so there are a ton of over-the-air stations to supplement Netflix - no need for cable. We got the whole setup soon after moving here, and it just keeps chugging along! This is the first hitch we've had. (Well, except for the logic board replacement early on that my credit card's warranty extension covered.)
post #29 of 48 Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
26 hours since I got my autoreply from Geniatech support and no actual human-written contact yet . . . still waiting.

Lenn5 - I also have the EyeTV Hybrid stick, on a 2007 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I'm next door to Boston so there are a ton of over-the-air stations to supplement Netflix - no need for cable. We got the whole setup soon after moving here, and it just keeps chugging along! This is the first hitch we've had. (Well, except for the logic board replacement early on that my credit card's warranty extension covered.)
Nice setup. I've got the hybrid stick hooked up to my homemade coat hanger antenna in the attic. Is working great so far. I get all of the major OTA channels and a ton of spanish speaking channels which i don't care about. I have a 2yr old iMac 21.5" running everything.

This is my 2nd Hybrid stick. The last one died a few years ago. Am hoping this one last a while longer. When this one goes I will probably get 1 of those Silicon Dust Homerun boxes. It looks like they are the only game left in town for us Mac guys.
post #30 of 48 Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 PM

Liked: 0
Exactly the same here.
Quote:
TVGuide expired.
Went to shop.
I looked at what happens on the network when I click "Update Now" and I see it making an HTTPS connection to "services.eyetv.com", which isn't very encouraging...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page