Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-11-2016, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Plex and TrueHD on Mac Mini

I know that OS X will not pass the high definition formats over HDMI. But I noticed something weird in Plex.

I rip my movies using MakeMKV and if I include a TrueHD track, for example, Plex converts it to 7.1 LPCM as it should, but I noticed that it's at 48kHz/16bit instead of 48kHz/24 bit.

Is this an OS X limitation, a Plex Limitation, or a setup problem? I'm pretty sure that OS X will pass 8 channels of 192/24, so I don't think it's a Mac limitation.

So now I'm wondering if DTS 5.1 at 48/24 would be better than 7.1 LPCM at 48/16. My guess is that 7.1 discrete channels is the better choice, even though bit depth suffers.

Help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Does your receiver tell you that it is 16-bit? My receiver just says how many channels it is getting and the sample rate. It does not display the word width. I setup my Plex to say my receiver does not support Dolby Digital or DTS and that it supports LPCM. It sends everything as LPCM but I am still not sure if it converted the correct track. Did you rip just the TrueHD track or the hidden DD track as well? Also, MakeMKV has a FLAC profile where it will create 7.1 FLAC. I am still new at this. I just wish macOS will just allow you to bitstream the audio. All the capability is already there. Damn!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 512
The TrueHD and DTS-HD movies I have output 48khz/24bit from my Mini while running Plex through LPCM. I believe it could be that your receiver is not telling your Mini that it can receive 24-bit word lengths. If you go in the Mini's Audio MIDI setup while Plex is running, does it recognize your receiver and let you change the Format drop down menu to 8 channel 16/20/24 bit integers?

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page