EyeTV list of supported devices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
EyeTV list of supported devices

For US TV tuners there are actually options besides the HDHomeRun or old El Gato tuner products like the 250 and 500. (I actually have a 500, nice firewire box but obsolete because it's insensitive compared to other tuners)

I find the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950Q usb stick is readily available (tho more commonly used now) and works very excellently. It has analog input as well, S-Video and composite with left/right audio, so it's good for analog capture and older (xbox 360 and older gen) game consoles all the way back to the NES. You can shut off the analog buffer from the A/V in and gain a near-real-time experience for gaming, with no more then 30-40ms of delay. For analog sources, there is no hardware encoding, the video is encoded by EyeTV in software.

The HD tuner on the 950Q works with the (dwindling) ClearQAM system and all current ATSC standards, and is extremely sensitive, as sensitive as any other TV or tuner could be.

It MIGHT do the newer 4k ATSC standard since it has no firmware until uploaded in to the tuner stick on activation and is therefore changeable easily, but I honestly don't know if the tuner chipset can handle the new standard just by changing it's internal software.
Note that there is a 955Q available claiming better specs and might be cheaper but beware I have not verified that it works in EyeTV. Amazon's listing claims the same model number as the 950Q (1191), but it might not match what EyeTV expects to see (device ID string).

the PCTV (formerly Pinnacle) line of TV tuner sticks also work for ATSC reception but are not as sensitive as the 950Q. The Compatable models are the PCTV HD stick (800e) and the PCTV HD mini stick (80e) both work fine if you use an amplified antenna, though, and one other minus is the analog video quality is softer then the 950Q mentioned above, but if you only use it as an ATSC tuner you should be fine as ATSC quality (bitrate and encoding) is determined by the broadcaster not the USB stick.

the original Hauppague HD PVR (model 1212 only) works with EyeTV but there is no point to using it as a DVR because there's no way to control the TV channel on the connected tuner box without an expensive and hard to find third party IR blaster that may not even work anymore.
You can use HDPVRCapture and it will change the channel via the HD PVR's built-in IR blaster, however the UI is not very WAF friendly, it dumps recordings in to a folder with the file name containing all the program metadata, and relies on TitanTV for scheduling and programming data. it's best used to record and archive TV for later watching, and is the only Mac-based solution if you subscribe to cable or satellite to record pay/encrypted TV. Note you will need a tuner box separately such as your cable or satellite box, and that it must provide component outputs or you can use an HDMI to component adapter. The HD PVR also has an optical in and will record Dolby Digital 5.1 sound sources, good if you use pay TV, no reason for OTA as an OTA tuner records whatever audio is present in the broadcast.

I hope this information is helpful. Please message me with any suggestions or edits. All of these tuners work with Windows but require more software to work and have much worse user interfaces under windows 10 then EyeTV under OS X, but if you have windows 7 or 8 media center though they all work great with that, perhaps better then EyeTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page