Need help with audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need help with audio

I have a macmini that works great and is plugged into my Yamaha receiver that goes to a 3.1 sound setup and 4k tv. I have video files where the audio only plays the surround mode but watching people's lips move with zero sound. Can anyone give me any idea what I can do to get the audio to play correctly? Is there some sort of software I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletDucky View Post
I have a macmini that works great and is plugged into my Yamaha receiver that goes to a 3.1 sound setup and 4k tv. I have video files where the audio only plays the surround mode but watching people's lips move with zero sound. Can anyone give me any idea what I can do to get the audio to play correctly? Is there some sort of software I need?
Check Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.app -- it may be able to configure the output settings you need.

Craig
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Since you have a receiver, it might be better NOT to mess within Audio MIDI unless you absolutely have to--instead let the AVR do the heavy lifting, it's the job of the AVR to handle incoming audio and send the audio you want to your speakers. That's also another way of saying the problem you're experiencing is almost certainly related to something other than AudioMIDI--how well you set up the inputs on your AVR, your connection from the Mini to the AVR, the player you're using to playback the video and even the file itself, especially if you didn't create the file and don't know what kind of audio it contains. Before you try to negotiate within AudioMIDI maybe deal with some easier questions first:

Which model Mini do you have, how are you sending audio from the Mini to the Yamaha and what app are you using to play the video?

What is this file of and what kind of audio does it contain?

Is it only this file that is problematic or are all your video files affected? At this point make sure you're not trying to play a file with high def audio, just use something with basic DD 2.0 or 5.1

You're playing the video file with something, a software player, whatever player you're using, try another one--same issues?

Next poke around in the settings of that app and tell it how you want it to pass audio to the AVR...it's called different things but aim for something called digital pass through--that usually means whatever the audio is it will passed to the AVR untouched--if the audio in the file is DD 5.1 that's how the AVR will see it--the Mini and Audio MIDI will not "process" it--then it is up to the AVR to direct that 5.1 into your 3.1 setup. If you aren't that familiar with your AVR yet that also means you'll have to read the manual to figure out how to set up that input on the Yamaha--with most AVRs you have to setup each audio input, in other words tell the AVR what to look for, what to expect, and what to do with that audio once it sees it. Most AVRs will detect and display what kind of audio it is receiving from the file--is your Yamaha switching and displaying audio correctly as you play different files?

Pvr4Craig is not wrong in suggesting AudioMIDI may be involved, thats one of several places to check settings which could affect you:

1) the master hardware audio settings on the Mini within its OS, that's what's inside Audio MIDI;
2) you have audio settings within each app or software player, like Plex, XMBC/Kodi, VLC et al that control what it does with audio;
3) then there's how you set up the input for the Mini on the AVR.

It's just a guess but my sense is you'll find your answer in 2) or 3) or within the file itself before you have to go changing things in AudioMIDI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. When I look at my mac audio settings it sees the audio outpoint as either from the mini or going to the TV it does not list the receiver. I'll start listing everything I have below.

1) Reciever is Yamha HTR-6065
2) Mini is the latest base version. I believe it's 2014?
3) OS X is the latest update
4) Video is played using VLC media player. I've tried two others with no luck

When I ever have any audio issues I go to the audio tab in VLC and select HDMI (encoded) and it usually works. However lately time and again I get files that do not play correctly. The video is crips and clear and the surround channels are picking up and playing the audio but not the center channel. If there's any talking you'd think they were on mute if it weren't for the surround speakers. I get most files to play fine but then some dont. The ones that don't play correctly still play the surround audio. If it was a HD Audio issue wouldn't the surround not play at all as well?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just checked the audio midi setup app and it's still showing my devices as either the mac mini or M60-C3 (that's the TV). For some reason it doesn't show the receiver.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well as of right now, SUCCESS! I hope this isn't premature but even though it shows the TV I played with the multi channel settings. I don't really like how my only options were 2 channel or 8 channel but I went with the 8 channel 24bit option then selected 5.1. I don't have 5.1 so that is a little worrisome. I just have a 3.1 (L/C/R and sub) setup but it does appear to be playing files it hadn't before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page