Headless Mac Mini HDMI problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Question Headless Mac Mini HDMI problem

Hi,

I have created a music sever from a 2010 Mac Mini and mostly everything is swell.

I'm using HDMI output because I play multichannel high res audio that only travels via HDMI. My playback software is Jriver MC 23. I have it meeting a Denon S730h.

Now, all is great until I turn my projector off. This seems to throw my mac mini for a loop even though I only use the mac mini for audio. I guess it feeds back to the mac mini that the hdmi chain is broken and the mac mini stops sending hdmi.

On the PC version of Jriver a option called "keep HDMI Alive" takes care of this but that option is missing from the mac. I googled a bit and saw a program called Aphetamine suggested as it over-rides some power management triggers but that didn't do anything useful.

I have a EDID faking passthrough device ordered that may or may not solve the problem. I would prefer a software solution as I don't want to add things to my signal chain that may muck up the PQ or sound quality.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I was using a Gefen HDMI detective that allowed me to turn off my HDTV without losing the audio. It only supports 1080p and did not seem to affect the display quality while in use.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
I think I solved the problem with an app.

Some macs didn't give users the chance to use native diplay refresh rates with the HDMI output so many people crafted apps that took over HDMI output. SwitchResX and EasyRes are examples.

Both worked to solve my problem but EasyRes was free. I don't set anything with the app... just installed it and have it load on start up.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page