Cylindrical A-Lens Owner's Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #691 of 694 Old 03-04-2020, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
I have had my anamorphic lens for about 6 years now. I will never need to upgrade or replace it. However, I am on my third projector, not counting 4 previous CRT projectors.<br><br>
Vern

CAVX then posted "Can you share some details about your lens and maybe post a photo?"

I was reviewing this thread and only now realized I had never replied to your question.

First of all, I have to apologize, as I have recently moved and have not had time to do more than create a functional HT in our new (and much smaller) home. Repainting is on the list of things to do.

The theatre is small, 12' wide by 13' deep. The screen is 4' 6" tall by 12' wide, measured on the chord (2.65:1).

The lenses are Isco Cinema DLP lenses with a horizontal expansion ratio of 1.5:1. The each weigh a good 25 or 30 lbs.

I picked them up in a surplus outlet in Dallas around 15 years ago. I suspect they were built for Texas Instruments when they were developing their Cinema DLP line of projectors for commercial use as they have no markings on them.

I will refrain from mentioning a $ amount to avoid serious envy from anyone who had to pay a 4 figure amount for their lenses.

I use HTPC's for media players, primarily with J River software, MadVR, and LAV Filters. Projectors are JVC RS35 and RS57.

Aspect ratio presets include 1.77:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.40:1, 2.55:1 and 2.65:1.

I particularly enjoy 3D BD movies and wish that they had not fallen out of favor with the studios.

Again,sorry for the late reply. Better late then never, I Guess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isco 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	2693618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isco 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2693620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isco 3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2693622  

Last edited by Vern Dias; 03-04-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 694 Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
CAVX then posted "Can you share some details about your lens and maybe post a photo?"

I was reviewing this thread and only now realized I had never replied to your question.

First of all, I have to apologize, as I have recently moved and have not had time to do more than create a functional HT in our new (and much smaller) home. Repainting is on the list of things to do.

The theatre is small, 12' wide by 13' deep. The screen is 4' 6" tall by 12' wide, measured on the chord (2.65:1).

The lenses are Isco Cinema DLP lenses with a horizontal expansion ratio of 1.5:1. The each weigh a good 25 or 30 lbs.

I picked them up in a surplus outlet in Dallas around 15 years ago. I suspect they were built for Texas Instruments when they were developing their Cinema DLP line of projectors for commercial use as they have no markings on them.

I will refrain from mentioning a $ amount to avoid serious envy from anyone who had to pay a 4 figure amount for their lenses.

I use HTPC's for media players, primarily with J River software, MadVR, and LAV Filters. Projectors are JVC RS35 and RS57.

Aspect ratio presets include 1.77:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.40:1, 2.55:1 and 2.65:1.

I particularly enjoy 3D BD movies and wish that they had not fallen out of favor with the studios.

Again,sorry for the late reply. Better late then never, I Guess
Do these differ to a Isco IIIL Anamorphic Lens which is 1.33?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #693 of 694 Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Do these differ to a Isco IIIL Anamorphic Lens which is 1.33?

Yes, they do. They are designed for commercial cinema use and are much larger and heavier.

They will also output a final aspect ratio of 2.65:1 when used with a 16x9 projector which will require the use of a dedicated scaler or an HTPC.

Their unique advantage for use in a home theatre is the ability to output a 2.65:1 image which supports full image height of the Cinerama 2.65:1 aspect ratio without cropping the sides and also supports the Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 aspect ratio with a very minimal vertcal or horizontal crop.

Based on the small number of titles released in both these formats, I don't recommend that the typical Home theatre user concern themselves with these lenses due to the complications of a wider screen and additional complications of a HTPC scaling.

In my case, the lenses came first when I stumbled across them in an electronics surplus store in Dallas. The wider screen and the HTPC scaling were required to make use of the lenses.

Vern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 694 Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Yes, they do. They are designed for commercial cinema use and are much larger and heavier.

They will also output a final aspect ratio of 2.65:1 when used with a 16x9 projector which will require the use of a dedicated scaler or an HTPC.

Their unique advantage for use in a home theatre is the ability to output a 2.65:1 image which supports full image height of the Cinerama 2.65:1 aspect ratio without cropping the sides and also supports the Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 aspect ratio with a very minimal vertcal or horizontal crop.

Based on the small number of titles released in both these formats, I don't recommend that the typical Home theatre user concern themselves with these lenses due to the complications of a wider screen and additional complications of a HTPC scaling.

In my case, the lenses came first when I stumbled across them in an electronics surplus store in Dallas. The wider screen and the HTPC scaling were required to make use of the lenses.

Vern
Yes I thought they wernt easy for the average A lens user to implement.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page