3d upgrade questions, i know i know your sick of these but please hear me out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
I have a JVC-RS1 that I've had about 6 years and I love it! Still on the original bulb even. I only use it for movies, nothing else. I have a 120" carada screen 2.35 (bright white I think). I'm using an oppo bluray player with vertical stretch and I have a lens attached to the projector for 2.35. (cant remember what type of lens, paid 2000 for it)

Lately I feel like I'm missing out by not having 3d so I'm pondering the upgrade. But I have a couple questions I'm not finding answers to. Will I need to keep my anamorphic lens or are there projectors that now do this for me? If I keep the lens will that alter the image for 3d? Do 3d movies come in 2.35? I know avatar didn't, so is normal that they don't?

If I do go 3d I'd lilke something atleast as good as what I have now, I paid a lot for this PJ many years ago so I don't want to downgrade just to have 3d, since most movies wont be 3d anyways.

Any suggestions on PJs I should look at? I've read the modern jvcs are not the greatest anymore so Im sad about that. My budget would be around 5k at most, less would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16172
Check out the AVS top-ten projectors of 2013 list. JVC is well-represented but there are other options. A lot of people like the Epson 5020UB, which now has a sequel, the 5030UB.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #3 of 3 Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post

Will I need to keep my anamorphic lens or are there projectors that now do this for me? If I keep the lens will that alter the image for 3d?

Your anamorphic lens will work the same for 3D movies as it will for 2D movies. However, if you rely on your OPPO Blu-ray player to do the vertical stretch for you, that might pose an issue. IIRC, the OPPO players cannot perform the stretch on 3D. Personally, I use an external Lumagen processor for that. If that's out of your budget, you may have to resort to doing CIH with the Zoom Method rather than the lens when watching 3D movies.
Quote:
Do 3d movies come in 2.35? I know avatar didn't, so is normal that they don't?

3D movies come in both 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, the same as 2D movies. In fact, most 3D movies are 2.35:1.

James Cameron has espoused a philosophy that 1.85:1 is better for 3D than 2.35:1, and a few other filmmakers have followed his lead on that. However, many more continue to use 2.35:1, even in 3D.
Quote:
Any suggestions on PJs I should look at? I've read the modern jvcs are not the greatest anymore so Im sad about that. My budget would be around 5k at most, less would be nice.

JVCs are awesome for 2D, but suck at 3D.

The RS1 is several years old and has been supplanted by several superior models. However, if you're still happy with it, you might consider buying a cheap DLP projector just for 3D and having two projectors in your theater. This is what I wound up doing.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page