Help! ProjectorCentral Sizing Tool for new Screen and PJ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By stanger89

post #1 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Help! ProjectorCentral Sizing Tool for new Screen and PJ

Help! I'd like some feedback to make sure I understand the ProjectorCentral Throw calculator before I buy a new screen and PJ. Today I have an Epson 8350 and Carada 110" 16:9, but want to move up to a AT CIH screen setup.

My room is 16x24 light controlled and I have decided to go with a PJ with lens memory. I've narrowed it down to either the Panasonic PT-AE8000 or the JVC DLA-X500R and looking at a Silver Ticket 138" Curved AT screen.

I've attached 2 screenshots of the PJC throw calculator for each PJ for my questions. Each PJ calculation was set to "Diagonal Range", 2.25:1 Aspect Ratio, 1.0 Screen Gain and a 16' "Throw Distance".

1. For each PJ, does the light blue shaded area under the category "Image Diagonal" represent the entire throw range based on the Zoom and distance from the screen?

2. Since the throw calculator locks "Throw Distance" and "Image Diagonal" sliders together, as long as you moved the "Image Diagonal within the range of the light blue shaded area, the image brightness should get slightly brighter?

3. I think I'm missing something, any idea why the AE8000 with 4000 lumens performs worse than the JVC with 1300 lumens in the same basic configuration?

4. Given I'm looking for the lens memory feature for CIH, I know choosing the right combination of PJ, Screen and setup matters to stay within in ranges. Which PJ should I choose for a 138" 2.25:1 screen?

5. Would you go bigger to 158"?

Thanks for the help everyone, I love these forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic PT-AE8000 Throw Calc.png
Views:	174
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	738601   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC DLA-X500R Thro Calc.png
Views:	144
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	738609  

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post
Help! I'd like some feedback to make sure I understand the ProjectorCentral Throw calculator before I buy a new screen and PJ. Today I have an Epson 8350 and Carada 110" 16:9, but want to move up to a AT CIH screen setup.

My room is 16x24 light controlled and I have decided to go with a PJ with lens memory. I've narrowed it down to either the Panasonic PT-AE8000 or the JVC DLA-X500R and looking at a Silver Ticket 138" Curved AT screen.

I've attached 2 screenshots of the PJC throw calculator for each PJ for my questions. Each PJ calculation was set to "Diagonal Range", 2.25:1 Aspect Ratio, 1.0 Screen Gain and a 16' "Throw Distance".

1. For each PJ, does the light blue shaded area under the category "Image Diagonal" represent the entire throw range based on the Zoom and distance from the screen?
The easiest way to use it is:
1) Pick "Throw Range" in the zoom box. This will let you pick a screen size and adjust throw to match it.
2) Figure out the width of your screen. Since you're zooming this is the part that matters, it's "fixed"

From that you can figure out the range of throws that will fill that 2.35:1 screen size. The next step is to make sure that you don't have it too far away that you can't zoom down to 16:9. One way to do that is to do the same as above, but set your screen to the height of your screen, since this is what must match for the 16:9 image.

After that, any throw that works for both setups, will allow you to zoom

Quote:
2. Since the throw calculator locks "Throw Distance" and "Image Diagonal" sliders together, as long as you moved the "Image Diagonal within the range of the light blue shaded area, the image brightness should get slightly brighter?
Just ignore anything related to brightness from that calculator, I'm not sure what they use, but I've never seen a consistent correlation between their numbers and anything else.

Quote:
3. I think I'm missing something, any idea why the AE8000 with 4000 lumens performs worse than the JVC with 1300 lumens in the same basic configuration?
I don't know about PJC's calculator, but firstly, the AE8000 is "only" rated for 2400 lumens, secondly, that rating is a bald-faced lie, ok, that's overstating it a bit, but that's only possible in terribly uncalibrated configurations. Once you calibrate the AE8000 for D65 and Rec709, it's down to 800 Lumens or less:
http://translate.google.com/translat...tm&prev=search

The JVCs can actually hit reasonably close (over 1000 Lumens) once calibrated:
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The easiest way to use it is:
1) Pick "Throw Range" in the zoom box. This will let you pick a screen size and adjust throw to match it.
2) Figure out the width of your screen. Since you're zooming this is the part that matters, it's "fixed"

From that you can figure out the range of throws that will fill that 2.35:1 screen size. The next step is to make sure that you don't have it too far away that you can't zoom down to 16:9. One way to do that is to do the same as above, but set your screen to the height of your screen, since this is what must match for the 16:9 image.

After that, any throw that works for both setups, will allow you to zoom

Just ignore anything related to brightness from that calculator, I'm not sure what they use, but I've never seen a consistent correlation between their numbers and anything else.

I don't know about PJC's calculator, but firstly, the AE8000 is "only" rated for 2400 lumens, secondly, that rating is a bald-faced lie, ok, that's overstating it a bit, but that's only possible in terribly uncalibrated configurations. Once you calibrate the AE8000 for D65 and Rec709, it's down to 800 Lumens or less:

The JVCs can actually hit reasonably close (over 1000 Lumens) once calibrated:
Stranger89,

Sweet input, and thanks for the links to other info.

Brad
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Here's another way.

Zoom Method. You have a small and large 16x9 image. You must stay with min and max limits. Take the distance to screen and divide by throw or zoom ratio. If your distance to screen is 120" then 120"/1.4=85.7=max width and 120"/2.8=42.8=min width. You must stay within those boundaries when zooming. So if using the max width you can then determine your 16x9 image width betaking the max and dividing by 21.33 then multiply by 16 or 85.7/21x16=64.2. Likewise if using the minimum except divide by 16 and multiply by 21.33 or 42.8/16x21.33=57.0.

Anamorphic is the same but you can play with all the distances between min and max as that doesn't change. Only be aware of the TR of you lens and how the distance of your projectors lens to your A lens. For instance with my JVC I can't get closer than about 1.6TR because of this. Just something to keep in mind.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12687 Post(s)
Liked: 10317
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

4. Given I'm looking for the lens memory feature for CIH, I know choosing the right combination of PJ, Screen and setup matters to stay within in ranges. Which PJ should I choose for a 138" 2.25:1 screen?

Others have address the lumens and how to use the chart. I want to address the screen that you are considering. Since you said you are going to use lens memory, you do not want a curved screen. You use a curved screen if using an A-lens. A curved screen is to help remove the pincushion distortion caused by the A-lens. I would only buy a curved screen if I had an A-lens or was planning on adding an A-lens. Using a curved screen with lens memory is going to give you barrel distortion. If we can help you, give us a call.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Others have address the lumens and how to use the chart. I want to address the screen that you are considering. Since you said you are going to use lens memory, you do not want a curved screen. You use a curved screen if using an A-lens. A curved screen is to help remove the pincushion distortion caused by the A-lens. I would only buy a curved screen if I had an A-lens or was planning on adding an A-lens. Using a curved screen with lens memory is going to give you barrel distortion. If we can help you, give us a call.
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback irt the curved screen. I hadn't thought about that, I suppose the marketing of the curve got me. What if the PJ had advance image settings to offset the pin\barrell affect? I've installed some business grade PJs that had a ton of settings.

Brad
post #7 of 12 Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM

You don't want to use any of those settings (pincusion, barrel, keystone etc), they will degrade the image "significantly".
post #8 of 12 Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't want to use any of those settings (pincusion, barrel, keystone etc), they will degrade the image "significantly".
Ok, I have to ask a noob question regarding the curved screen and a PJ with some keystone. Aren't the curved displays doing something similar? Or is it because the panel is actually curved, they don't need to adjust the imaging.

Brad
post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 AM

Curved panels are actually curved so they don't create any distortion/degradation to the image signal.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Curved panels are actually curved so they don't create any distortion/degradation to the image signal.
So if I was really set on getting a new 2.35:1 screen and didn't want to get an anamorphic lens, either a lens memory PJ or video processor like the Lumagen would be the best answer?

Brad
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
So if I was really set on getting a new 2.35:1 screen and didn't want to get an anamorphic lens, either a lens memory PJ or video processor like the Lumagen would be the best answer?
If you're not using a lens, then zooming is the only answer, you have to zoom to fill the screen. After that it's just a question of if you'd rather zoom back to make 16:9 fit the screen, or use a video processor to electronically shrink it to fit. The Lumagen would be faster, but more expensive and would be lower quality since you are no longer using all the pixels for 16:9.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, this might be a silly question but if I decided to get a Lumagen, does the 2.35:1 calculations still apply in the sizing tool? I suspect so.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page