Epson's Panamorph lens kit - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-18-2016, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Epson's Panamorph lens kit

Through my job get a decent discount on epson products and I noticed they have a Panamorph lens for a few of their projos. The sku is ELPFALKED http://m.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp...not%20provided does anyone know which model this is and will it work with my projector. I have a jvc 550R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Through my job get a decent discount on epson products and I noticed they have a Panamorph lens for a few of their projos. The sku is ELPFALKED http://m.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp...not%20provided does anyone know which model this is and will it work with my projector. I have a jvc 550R.
Don't see why it wouldn't (it's a standard lens). Although with the amount of lumens, resolution and lens memory on the JVC I don't see a need for it. I suppose if you are shooting a monster screen you may need the lumen boost.

post #3 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Don't see why it wouldn't (it's a standard lens). Although with the amount of lumens, resolution and lens memory on the JVC I don't see a need for it. I suppose if you are shooting a monster screen you may need the lumen boost.
Right now I have a 100" screen. I'd like to go bigger as I already have it at max zoom. I only have a 13ft throw to work with. How big do you think I can get with this distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right now I have a 100" screen. I'd like to go bigger as I already have it at max zoom. I only have a 13ft throw to work with. How big do you think I can get with this distance?
Since you are in here, I will assume you want a scope screen. At 13' you can go 110" wide, which is a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 scope screen. With the short throw, is your seating distance also fairly close? At 8-9' I would think you would hit a nice immersion level.

post #5 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Since you are in here, I will assume you want a scope screen. At 13' you can go 110" wide, which is a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 scope screen. With the short throw, is your seating distance also fairly close? At 8-9' I would think you would hit a nice immersion level.
I've been wanting to do scope for the longest. Just had a hard time dropping that much for a lens. Now I can get a good deal so figure time to do this. Yes my first row is 8ft back and the second is up against the wall at 13. The retail on that lens is $3k would that be the panamax u480? Doesn't mention what model it is on their site.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been wanting to do scope for the longest. Just had a hard time dropping that much for a lens. Now I can get a good deal so figure time to do this. Yes my first row is 8ft back and the second is up against the wall at 13. The retail on that lens is $3k would that be the panamax u480? Doesn't mention what model it is on their site.
Not sure which model of lens that is. Just to clarify, the 120" 2.35:1 screen I mentioned was using the zoom/lens memory function on your JVC, which does not require a lens.

If you want a lens for a larger screen than 120" due to throw considerations, then I can see going that route. Otherwise I don't see a need with your projector. You have more than enough lumen output. E-shift will create enough resolution that you will not see any noticeable pixel structure. I don't believe all 4K modes on the JVC support anamorphic stretching either (this is needed for a lens to work). Though I think 4K24 does, so you would be able to use a lens with the majority of films.

post #7 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure which model of lens that is. Just to clarify, the 120" 2.35:1 screen I mentioned was using the zoom/lens memory function on your JVC, which does not require a lens.

If you want a lens for a larger screen than 120" due to throw considerations, then I can see going that route. Otherwise I don't see a need with your projector. You have more than enough lumen output. E-shift will create enough resolution that you will not see any noticeable pixel structure. I don't believe all 4K modes on the JVC support anamorphic stretching either (this is needed for a lens to work). Though I think 4K24 does, so you would be able to use a lens with the majority of films.
I'll have to check again but zoomed all the way I could only get slightly bigger then the 100" i have now as far as I can remember.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll have to check again but zoomed all the way I could only get slightly bigger then the 100" i have now as far as I can remember.
Projector central shows 111" wide from 13'. That's 13' from the front of the lens. Are you measuring that or are you forgetting to subtract the projector length from the measurement.

post #9 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Projector central shows 111" wide from 13'. That's 13' from the front of the lens. Are you measuring that or are you forgetting to subtract the projector length from the measurement.
I think I was measuring from the rear wall. Need to recheck when I get home.
post #10 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I was measuring from the rear wall. Need to recheck when I get home.
One other thing, what is behind the wall? If it's a storage room, it may be feasible to mount the projector in this room with a cutout for the light path.

post #11 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
One other thing, what is behind the wall? If it's a storage room, it may be feasible to mount the projector in this room with a cutout for the light path.
Or try a mirror and see what you think.

Bud
post #12 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Certainly a possibility. Not sure how the angles would play out though. I do like that it would be inexpensive and easy to setup.

post #13 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
What do you mean with the mirror?
post #14 of 27 Old 05-19-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I reflect my image off a mirror as a way to lengthen the throw of my projector, the mirror sits against the back wall of my theater and the projector sits backwards. The image looks like it is coming thru the wall from the next room. The light spill from the projector goes to the back wall instead of the direction of the screen. I do my masking on the mirror rather than the screen. now that I’m used to it doing it that way seems like the normal way to me.

Bud
post #15 of 27 Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #16 of 27 Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I actually started making a cut in the wall behind my projector but I have a stud there so that would be a no go. I've scoured Craigslist and there's a guy with a panamorph u380. How does this stack up to a u480?
post #17 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually started making a cut in the wall behind my projector but I have a stud there so that would be a no go. I've scoured Craigslist and there's a guy with a panamorph u380. How does this stack up to a u480?
No idea on the lens difference. But horizontal offset on the projector should be fine to get around the stud.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No idea on the lens difference. But horizontal offset on the projector should be fine to get around the stud.
Wouldn't that degrade the image some? I'd be about 6inches off center.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wouldn't that degrade the image some? I'd be about 6inches off center.
Nope. Unless you get to the very edge of lens shift it won't do anything to the image.

post #20 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Per Panamorph's UH480 manual: "Horizontal lens/image shift other than fine adjustment is not recommended due to keystoning that can be introduced"

Not sure how much is "fine adjustment" but I'd guess a few inches relative to your screen size. I'd suggest you contact Panamorph for clarification for your intended setup.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Per Panamorph's UH480 manual: "Horizontal lens/image shift other than fine adjustment is not recommended due to keystoning that can be introduced"

Not sure how much is "fine adjustment" but I'd guess a few inches relative to your screen size. I'd suggest you contact Panamorph for clarification for your intended setup.
Won't be doing this anyways. Stuck my hand in the hole there's another stud 10inches from the first one.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Won't be doing this anyways. Stuck my hand in the hole there's another stud 10inches from the first one.
The hole should only need to be big enough for the light path to get through. Unless you can't mount it ion the other side of the wall for some reason. Although I think I would strongly consider the mirror arrangement that Bud suggested at this point.

post #23 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The hole should only need to be big enough for the light path to get through. Unless you can't mount it ion the other side of the wall for some reason. Although I think I would strongly consider the mirror arrangement that Bud suggested at this point.
Wouldn't the resolution suffer?
post #24 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wouldn't the resolution suffer?
I have never read up on whether a mirror would or wouldn't degrade the resolution noticeably. I just made an assumption that since a couple people chimed in using this method with good results that any degradation would be negligible.

Keep in mind an a-lens will also impact the image. Better ones can make it so small you can't see it, but it's still there.

If you're worried and want to avoid both, can you shelf mount on the other side of the wall and shoot between the studs?

Last edited by jeahrens; 05-23-2016 at 12:53 PM.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-23-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Using a high quality first surface mirror will be have none of the typical distortion of the image that a lens imparts (pincushion & color separation). However, aside from polished first surface mirrors there is will be faint artifact called "draw lines" that can be visible in the image when the image pans in a bright uniform scene (e.g., downhill skiing) that shows up as very slight dark patches along one dimension of the mirror.

My current mirror (25" x 15") is not of the polished variety (~$1500) but a standard 4-6 wave flatness first surface mirror (~$300). I do intend to upgrade to the polished mirror eventually but not until I do more upgrades to my room first; the artifact is barely ever noticeable to me hence the lack of priority.
post #26 of 27 Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m keeping my eyes open for a first surface mirror out of an old RP TV or something, but I have had good luck with regular old cheap second surface mirrors. The first one I used was a real thin dressing mirror I cut down to a 4:3 ratio. When I needed wider I bought a $20 mirror that had a flat frame I could use for my masking setup.

Part of the trick to using a mirror is to keep the angles as slight as possible and that mitigates the second reflection off the surface of the glass. The wave problem is only a problem if you are a person that lets such things drive you crazy. Yes you can see a slight amount on a pure white screen kind of a banding issue (very slight) but never can I see anything in a normal movie image.

I dust mine from time to time but it looks the same with some dust on it.

The pluses are getting at the input cables is easy. The spill light goes away from the screen. My favorite part of doing it this way is I have adjustable magnetic masking panels that attach to the mirror that do a good job of masking the black bars out, another nice feature is I can raise and lower the image a few inches with the mirror tilt adjuster.

Take a mirror and try it and to see what you think.

Bud
post #27 of 27 Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 30
and was wondering if you ended up getting the Epson ELPFALKED lens?
If so - did you have any issues fitting to your JVC?
How is the image quality on 4K?
Does it stretch horizontally so I can set the projector to squeeze the 2.35 image into the 16x9 field and have the lense stretch it to cover the 2.35 screen?
What's your overall opinion as I'm thinking of getting one for my JVC 520
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page