49-51" CIH, Row 1: 9.5' dist Row 2: 16' dist, is it ok? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2016, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
49-51" CIH, Row 1: 9.5' dist Row 2: 16' dist, is it ok?

Row distances as stated above. Results in a CIH OF 49-51" depending on screen border thickness.

1) Should this be ideal for the aforementioned viewing distances? I can go smaller, not bigger.
2) Recommended screen PJ combo?
3) Is there a discernible difference between a CIH of 49" vs 51"? I can go zero edge or have the black border. Thinking of having the b. border.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
Row distances as stated above. Results in a CIH OF 49-51" depending on screen border thickness.

1) Should this be ideal for the aforementioned viewing distances? I can go smaller, not bigger.
I'm at 54" height with similar seating distances. That's as big as I'd want to go (for the front row), but 49-51" would be good.

Quote:
2) Recommended screen PJ combo?
Not enough info... Throw distance possible? Room lighting conditions? Budget?

In general, put money into the projector over the screen. Most any decent HT screen will work well, assuming you're in a light-controlled room and use a 1.0-1.3 gain range...

Quote:
3) Is there a discernible difference between a CIH of 49" vs 51"? I can go zero edge or have the black border. Thinking of having the b. border.
What's around the screen edge? The walls/ceiling? You'll want a black border to help increase the apparent contrast. The few inches of screen difference either way won't be a big deal once you finish the room.

If you can, delay your screen purchase until you've got the room finished and the projector in place. Then you can play with screen sizes by projecting onto the blank wall, and see how the room behaves, too...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My two rows are at the exact distances you discuss and I have a 49" tall CIH screen. That is as big as I personally want to go with the first row at 9.5'. For me, the limiting factor is the quality of your source material. If everything was 4K or even blu-ray, you could go taller, but a lot of things I watch (like HGTV off of cable) are just within the acceptable image quality range for that screen size/seating position combination. And for things like 2.35:1 content from TCM (Turner Classic Movie channel), I frequently just letterbox within the 16:9 region rather than zooming it out to use my full screen because the quality of the source is so bad.

I have a JVC 4910 projector and a Stewart Cima Neve 115" wide x 49" tall screen. The surrounding front wall and the first six feet of the ceiling, side walls, and floor are all black in my theater.

Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I agree with others in saying buy the screen last if you can so you can project on the wall and try out various sizes.

I recently moved to a 51" high image at 8.5' viewing distance (i.e., 2.0x screen height to viewing distance ratio). For quality movie content this size is perfect for me and my wife but for low quality content (image or story) it can be a bit large.

I started with a 2.4x ratio which is very comfortable for all content but not quite immersive enough.

For your 49-51" height that is 2.32-2.23x ratio for your first row. Since you have two rows you'll need to be careful not to sacrifice the second row in keeping the first row too comfortable. I'd highly recommend at most 2.2x for the first row, and 2.0x if you can.

I also recommend having the black border to soak up a little bit of overscan and give the apparent contrast.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You may want to grab a projector first and set it up at various sizes before buying the screen. Seems like different people have different opinions on how big to go with respect to front row.

My first row is at 10' exactly. My room width is 12', so I could have fit a 58" high screen. I set the PJ up for that height...... I SOOOO wanted it to work because it was super awesome when entering the room (which is a bar/theater combo, not dedicated theater).

But,man, sitting 10' was just a bit too overwhelming for me personally, particularly from side seats.

I went with 50" (127" diag) screen so my ratio is 2.4x which is perfect for me and wifey.

I may still play around with moving front seats a little closer to give more standing room at the bar and get that ratio close to 2.2x per jjcook and see how that works.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey1esm View Post

But,man, sitting 10' was just a bit too overwhelming for me personally, particularly from side seats.
I agree it is too close for some people and others like it that way. I find some movies immersion seems to work better than others also. The safe play would be to back up until you feel it will be ok for all your viewers all the time and leave it there. If I did that for my single row home theater based around all the people that routinely view it I would be around 3X screen height as my CIH setup.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page