List of Variable Aspect Ratio Movies on Blu-ray - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #31 of 196 Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This is meant to be a purely informational thread. Please keep your bickering out of it, Bud.^ Thank you.
Please excuse my intrusion into a purely informational thread by commenting on another’s comments. I do take exception to you thinking I by name was bickering and off topic but not the statement I was addressing.

Please if you would have the mod remove this post and all posts and partial posts you find non informational.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 196 Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Added Thor: Ragnarok to the list.

This is perhaps still pending confirmation, but word is that the 3D edition (which is only available overseas, not in North America) has variable ratios. The 2D Blu-ray and UHD editions are CIH.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #33 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for this. Great resource.

Bummer that there's no way to see the IMAX scene from The Force Awakens on Blu-ray. Double bummer that the MCU movies only provide the 16:9 scenes with the 3D Blu-rays.

This might be a dumb question, but are 3D Blu-rays shown in full SBS or half SBS? If full, then I wouldn't mind buying the 3D Blu-rays and ripping my own 1080p crops in 2D. I really just want to see the 16:9 scenes in 2D, but without losing half of the horizontal resolution.

edit: also, Black Panther (currently in theaters) continues the Marvel tradition of shifting aspect ratio for IMAX.

Last edited by Shizzlenits; 03-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post
Thanks for this. Great resource.

Bummer that there's no way to see the IMAX scene from The Force Awakens on Blu-ray. Double bummer that the MCU movies only provide the 16:9 scenes with the 3D Blu-rays.

This might be a dumb question, but are 3D Blu-rays shown in full SBS or half SBS? If full, then I wouldn't mind buying the 3D Blu-rays and ripping my own 1080p crops in 2D. I really just want to see the 16:9 scenes in 2D, but without losing half of the horizontal resolution.

edit: also, Black Panther (currently in theaters) continues the Marvel tradition of shifting aspect ratio for IMAX.
Legit 3D blurays from movie studios should all be using the MVC (multiview) frame packed codec... not SBS or TB formats more typically associated with streaming or bootleg rips. So, yes if you rip the 3D version and play it in 2D, you will indeed get a full resolution version of the movie.
post #35 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
3D Blu-rays are encoded in frame-packed format. One full 1080p frame for the first eye followed by another full 1080p frame for the second eye in rapid succession.

Most Blu-ray players will allow you to turn off 3D and only watch the first eye view.

Josh Z

post #36 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

The Blu-ray and UHD editions of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are CIH. No variable aspect ratio. I have updated the first post.

Josh Z

post #37 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
3D Blu-rays are encoded in frame-packed format. One full 1080p frame for the first eye followed by another full 1080p frame for the second eye in rapid succession.

Most Blu-ray players will allow you to turn off 3D and only watch the first eye view.
Hm, gonna rent Guardians of the Galaxy and test the options available on Xbox One X. Thanks.
post #38 of 196 Old 03-17-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm... the bluray players that I have owned (for the most part Sony models) do not allow me to just switch the player into 2D mode for a 3D only disc. But, I can do this on my display device (Panasonic projector) though...
post #39 of 196 Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Hmm... the bluray players that I have owned (for the most part Sony models) do not allow me to just switch the player into 2D mode for a 3D only disc. But, I can do this on my display device (Panasonic projector) though...
Check the Blu-ray player setup menus (not the disc menus) when no disc is inserted. There should be an option to turn off 3D entirely.

Josh Z

post #40 of 196 Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check the Blu-ray player setup menus (not the disc menus) when no disc is inserted. There should be an option to turn off 3D entirely.
Sorry to derail the thread here... But, that also doesn't work.. with the menu option for 3D turned OFF, inserting a 3D disc results in an error message stating that a 3D capable display is necessary in order for playback to continue... But, again maybe this varies with other bluray disc player manufacturers...
post #41 of 196 Old 03-18-2018, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Sorry to derail the thread here... But, that also doesn't work.. with the menu option for 3D turned OFF, inserting a 3D disc results in an error message stating that a 3D capable display is necessary in order for playback to continue... But, again maybe this varies with other bluray disc player manufacturers...
Perhaps. I'm pretty sure I've gotten that to work with my OPPO player.

Josh Z

post #42 of 196 Old 03-18-2018, 03:59 PM

In any case, with MakeMKV+Handbrake you can create a 2D 1080p rip easy enough. Just a bit more time consuming than modifying some player settings.
post #43 of 196 Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I've received clarification that The Last Jedi did not have a variable aspect ratio in IMAX theaters. It was always CIH. I have removed that title from the list.

Josh Z

post #44 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Black Panther Blu-rays are announced for May 15th. So far, all I can see is 2:39:1 everywhere. Really hoping that's wrong and we get the IMAX scenes in 2D this time... I've been doing 2D rips of the 3D Blu-rays, but you end up getting black bars on the left side of the screen sometimes for certain scenes. Side effect of 3D. I think you still end up with more pixels than if cropped throughout, but it's still unfortunate.
post #45 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Black Panther Blu-rays are announced for May 15th. So far, all I can see is 2:39:1 everywhere. Really hoping that's wrong and we get the IMAX scenes in 2D this time... I've been doing 2D rips of the 3D Blu-rays, but you end up getting black bars on the left side of the screen sometimes for certain scenes. Side effect of 3D. I think you still end up with more pixels than if cropped throughout, but it's still unfortunate.
Honestly, that's pretty unlikely to happen. Marvel's policy seems to be CIH for 2D and variable ratio for 3D only. Meanwhile, the parent company Disney is also discontinuing 3D in North America. The only option for getting the variable ratio is to import a 3D disc from overseas.

Josh Z

post #46 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Honestly, that's pretty unlikely to happen. Marvel's policy seems to be CIH for 2D and variable ratio for 3D only. Meanwhile, the parent company Disney is also discontinuing 3D in North America. The only option for getting the variable ratio is to import a 3D disc from overseas.
Yeah. It just sucks that if you rip the 3D Blu-ray to create a 2D copy, you sometimes end up with variable AR on the left side of the screen. I think it's a side effect of the 3D conversion. The crappy thing is this applies to the 2:39:1 scenes too, since the 3D conversion affects everything.

I still prefer that to CIH (or watching in 3D, ugh), but it's really too bad that there is no way to get the "IMAX 2D" experience in your home theater.

Luckily you don't really notice the occasional shift on an OLED screen in a blacked out media room. It would be annoying in living rooms, though.

Last edited by Shizzlenits; 04-10-2018 at 01:17 PM.
post #47 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I still prefer that to CIH (or watching in 3D, ugh), but it's really too bad that there is no way to get the "IMAX 2D" experience in your home theater.
While arguments can be made that Christopher Nolan has some sort of artistic purpose in using a variable ratio in his movies, the alternating ratio on these Marvel movies is purely an afterthought, an easy gimmick added to placate the IMAX distributor. You don't lose anything important (or even noticeable) watching in CIH. There's absolutely nothing of consequence above or below the 2.35:1 frame line.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the directors of these movies weren't even aware that variable ratio versions had been prepared. They give as little thought to that as they do to the 3D conversion.

Josh Z

post #48 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
While arguments can be made that Christopher Nolan has some sort of artistic purpose in using a variable ratio in his movies, the alternating ratio on these Marvel movies is purely an afterthought, an easy gimmick added to placate the IMAX distributor. You don't lose anything important (or even noticeable) watching in CIH. There's absolutely nothing of consequence above or below the 2.35:1 frame line.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the directors of these movies weren't even aware that variable ratio versions had been prepared. They give as little thought to that as they do to the 3D conversion.
Not sure I agree with that. For spectacle films like this, the increase AR does make a huge difference in your immersion.

Check this comparison album. Which version would you rather watch, if given the choice?

https://imgur.com/a/Igpfi

I dunno if it's an aftertought either, you can see in the first scene above that the title card location was shifted up to compensate for the increase in vertical space. You also get some cool "frame breaking" AR transitions like this one from GOTG2:

In any case, I'm definitely of the opinion that more visual data is almost always better than less. I'd prefer for all content to be mastered in 16:9, honestly.
SuperFist likes this.

Last edited by Shizzlenits; 04-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #49 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Not sure I agree with that. For spectacle films like this, the increase AR does make a huge difference in your immersion.

Check this comparison album. Which version would you rather watch, if given the choice?

https://imgur.com/a/Igpfi

I dunno if it's an aftertought either, you can see in the first scene above that the title card location was shifted up to compensate for the increase in vertical space. You also get some cool "frame breaking" AR transitions like this one from GOTG2:

In any case, I'm definitely of the opinion that more visual data is almost always better than less. I'd prefer for all content to be mastered in 16:9, honestly.

All content is mastered in 16x9.

The problem with that argument is its based on gimmickry. Anytime you show a letterbox framed content it will look less immersive than full screen.

It doesn't increase the AR, its actually smaller going from 2.39 to 1.90, it increases the height. It opens up the frame. It does nothing for the shot. The frame breaking does nothing for the shot. Now blowup the 2.40 content and show it the same height as it should be and compare. Better yet add in the content that is trimmed from the sides back in as well when you re-edit for IMAX, don't just add height. Then compare.

Those comparisons only show that full frame is superior over letterbox content. We know. Thats why we build CIH systems. To build a home theater based on a few movies let alone only a few scenes in said movies, wouldn't be ideal in my opinion. But to each his own.
deano86 likes this.
post #50 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
All content is mastered in 16x9.

The problem with that argument is its based on gimmickry. Anytime you show a letterbox framed content it will look less immersive than full screen.

It doesn't increase the AR, its actually smaller going from 2.39 to 1.90, it increases the height. It opens up the frame. It does nothing for the shot. The frame breaking does nothing for the shot. Now blowup the 2.40 content and show it the same height as it should be and compare. Better yet add in the content that is trimmed from the sides back in as well when you re-edit for IMAX, don't just add height. Then compare.

Those comparisons only show that full frame is superior over letterbox content. We know. Thats why we build CIH systems. To build a home theater based on a few movies let alone only a few scenes in said movies, wouldn't be ideal in my opinion. But to each his own.
OLED technology has kind of negated my need to build a CIH system. In a blacked out media room, there is never any letterbox since the black pixels are never turned on. That's why I appreciate when the 1:90 content is included in the consumer disc. Variable AR shifts never appear letterboxed. It's always perfectly framed.

The only downside is I'm currently limited to a 77" display. For me personally this isn't much of an issue because my media room is rather small, with the seats roughly 8' away from the screen.

I don't understand what you mean by "it does nothing for the shot," though. I'd much rather have more picture than less. The 2:39 versions of the "IMAX" scenes in Marvel movies are not displaying more picture. They're literally just cropping the top and bottom of the 1:90 shot to reach 2:39.
bud16415 and steve1106 like this.

Last edited by Shizzlenits; 04-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #51 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OLED technology has kind of negated my need to build a CIH system. In a blacked out media room, there is never any letterbox since the black pixels are never turned on. That's why I appreciate when the 1:90 content is included in the consumer disc. Variable AR shifts never appear letterboxed. It's always perfectly framed.

The only downside is I'm currently limited to a 77" display. For me personally this isn't much of an issue because my media room is rather small, with the seats roughly 8' away from the screen.

I don't understand what you mean by "it does nothing for the shot," though. I'd much rather have more picture than less. The 2:39 versions of the "IMAX" scenes in Marvel movies are not displaying more picture. They're literally just cropping the top and bottom of the 1:90 shot to reach 2:39.
When Nolan changes aspect it with specific intent, for example, he trying to make a point of the vastness of sea in Dunkirk or the tight cramped quarters onboard the small sailing craft. Those were purposeful and a success. In the case of your example above there no such intent. The movie isn’t any better or worse due to haven’t that shot opened up. The directors say as much. If I had a 16x9 display, I too would prefer the way you view it.

Now in my case I can watch a VAR in one of two ways. I sit exactly 9ft from a 128” 2.37 screen 50x118.5. I can watch it in 16x9 that’s 50x89 with VAR and it looks fine and impressive and I’m still within IMAX digital specs or I can watch it in 2.40 which is the preferred, more immersive viewing for GotG. It’s a good movie, it doesn’t need the gimmicks.
post #52 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I'm sorry. "Scope on flat" is a cheesy thing they created for 3D enhancement. It should NOT be used in 2D.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #53 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
When Nolan changes aspect it with specific intent, for example, he trying to make a point of the vastness of sea in Dunkirk or the tight cramped quarters onboard the small sailing craft. Those were purposeful and a success. In the case of your example above there no such intent. The movie isn’t any better or worse due to haven’t that shot opened up. The directors say as much. If I had a 16x9 display, I too would prefer the way you view it.
Not really true. James Gunn himself had this to say about Guardians:

http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-o...alaxy-imax-3d/
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gunn
As an EXTRA benefit for those who see the film in IMAX 3D, we will be changing aspect ratios throughout the film in a way that makes the experience even fuller and more encompassing. I’ve personally chosen all the places where the changes occur and, again, I love how it’s coming along. The changing aspect ratios in this case are actually a part of the storytelling.

The Russo Brothers also filmed Infinity War 100% with IMAX cameras, which is a first. It's not true at all that this stuff is an afterthought.

The transition GIF I posted isn't really the point of it though, it was just something I noticed when I watched the film this past weekend. I mainly appreciate VAR for the extra detail in the scene, as shown in the Imgur album I linked earlier. That's not a "gimmick" there... just 26% more image on the screen.
SuperFist and steve1106 like this.

Last edited by Shizzlenits; 04-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
post #54 of 196 Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not really true. James Gunn himself had this to say about Guardians:

http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-o...alaxy-imax-3d/

The Russo Brothers also filmed Infinity War 100% with IMAX cameras, which is a first. It's not true at all that this stuff is an afterthought.

The transition GIF I posted isn't really the point of it though, it was just something I noticed when I watched the film this past weekend. I mainly appreciate VAR for the extra detail in the scene, as shown in the Imgur album I linked earlier. That's not a "gimmick" there... just 26% more image on the screen.
And you expect a director to say anything different when we’re talking money?

I have about 1500 movies and 80 percent or more are 2.35-2.40. I have maybe 15-20 VAR’s. Still, as I mentioned above, I’m covered both ways. I can show any movie full height in any AR. That includes IMAX 1.90 and the Netflix/BBC 2.00AR. I’ll take my 2.40 image over IMAX any day They can keep their extra 26 percent of meaningless gimmickry. Where’s the 26 percent IMAX cut off the top of most of their VAR movies when shown in IMAX Digital?
post #55 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you expect a director to say anything different when we’re talking money?

I have about 1500 movies and 80 percent or more are 2.35-2.40. I have maybe 15-20 VAR’s. Still, as I mentioned above, I’m covered both ways. I can show any movie full height in any AR. That includes IMAX 1.90 and the Netflix/BBC 2.00AR. I’ll take my 2.40 image over IMAX any day They can keep their extra 26 percent of meaningless gimmickry. Where’s the 26 percent IMAX cut off the top of most of their VAR movies when shown in IMAX Digital?
It is true you can show any movie in its full AR on any other AR screen. The studios can on the same token pack any AR movie into any AR container. Those are facts we all agree to I think.

Now comes the question of what is the most common AR for a screen and what is the most common AR for the container. Disregard what we personally like or dislike and if the director wants to play around changing AR throughout the movie. Facts are most HT projectors and all TV’s are in a 16:9 AR and all content is made to fit inside a 16:9 container. They don’t have to fill that container but that’s the shape of it.

Disregard if you think IMAX1.89 is really LieMAX and if you feel the 26% more image is important or not.

Just conceder the simple premise of just two movie as an example or comparison and disregard if you like the movies or the director for a moment.

Two movies that were shown and filmed in a way that allowed them to be released in both scope theaters and LieMAX theaters for people that liked one way or the other or had access to one or the other. One movie was Avatar and the other say Sully. When it came time to put them on BD one director said I like the LieMAX version it will fit on a BD just fine the other director said I like the scope look I’m going to throw away 26% of the movie and replace it with black. His thought process (maybe) is if I release the other 26% I will be condemning my scope movie to be Flat movie in peoples homes. He had to know it would mostly be shown on TV sets and wasn’t going to get wider than the width of the TV. The only exception is going to be .00001% of the BD buyers that were going to take it home and process it and A-lens or zoom it having a CIH screen. The other 99.99999% are going to fit it into a 16:9 screen of some type. The ironic part of it is the .00001% could do just what they were doing anyways and instead of throwing away the 26% that is black and zooming or A-lens-ing they could just eliminate the LieMAX part.

I even think with BD technology it could be as simple as a selection on the main menu to select Scope / LieMAX and let the BD player strip the 26% if you don’t want it.

Maybe it is a gimmick, Scope was invented in the 1950 also as a gimmick and it worked and stuck around. Just like people loved going to Scope theaters they are loving going to LieMAX theaters and watching the exact same movie with the extra 26%.

You can fit any image into your scope screen, correct, but if you are not moving your seating closer you are not getting LieMAX levels of immersion.
Shizzlenits and steve1106 like this.

Bud
post #56 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you should consider that you are posting in the 2.35:1 Constant Image Height forum. If you have no interest in 2.35:1 Constant Image Height, why are you here?

Quote:
And yet 2.35:1 movies are always displayed smaller than 1.85:1 movies or 16:9 TV shows, which is exactly the opposite of the artistic intent. The vast sweeping epic desert landscape of Lawrence of Arabia will always be smaller than the family living room in The Goldbergs.

Quote:
The movies are fully composed for 2.35:1 from start to finish. For the variable ratio scenes, they literally just show some extra empty space above the characters' heads.

I don't have Marvel screenshots handy, but here's a comparison from Star Trek into Darkness:

And here's the monumental increase in visual space that you believe vastly opens up the immersiveness of the picture.

Yup. That's it. Is that really worth shrinking the size of every scope movie ever made (and about 90% of the footage in these movies too) to gain on a tiny handful of movies?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekDarkness-scope.png
Views:	499
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	2388632   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekDarkness-IMAX.png
Views:	504
Size:	718.1 KB
ID:	2388634   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekDarkness-top-difference.png
Views:	464
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2388636   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrekDarkness-bottom-difference.png
Views:	465
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2388638  

Josh Z

post #57 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
You can fit any image into your scope screen, correct, but if you are not moving your seating closer you are not getting LieMAX levels of immersion.
True. And that "IMAX" footage makes up probably less than 2% of what the average person watches unless they watch the Nolan collection every month.

And the counterpoint is watching scope, which probably makes up 50% or more of the movie content the average HT owner watches, on a 16:9 screen without changing your seating greatly diminishes the impact of that material. And no I'm not endorsing moving your seating around as that will adversely impact the acoustic calibrations.

Here's a breakdown of what I have watched in 4K recently:

Blade Runner 2049
Murder on the Orient Express
Harry Potter 1-8
Dunkirk
Red
Red 2
Justice League
Thor: Ragnarok
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Martian
Interstellar
Ghost in the Machine
Baby Driver
Kingsmen The Golden Circle
The Fifth Element
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
John Wick 1/2
Apollo 13
Star Trek/Into Darkness/Beyond

The breakdown is:

Scope - 25
Flat - 2
IMAX - 3*

Once I'm done with the Nolan collection the IMAX number isn't likely to grow the rest of the year. I put 3 in for IMAX, but I technically watched Star Trek ID masked since it has zero artistic need for the open framing. If I added in what I've watched in 2K Blu Ray, scope and flat would pull ahead even further. And as Coolrda points out with his setup, I'm on the closer end of the immersion spectrum so there's likely people with 16:9 screens that are getting a less "IMAX" experience than I am.

So pick your poison about what YOU want to size your screen for. Personally I simply can't fathom endorsing sizing your theater around a format that has minimal content and shows no signs of making huge gains.
coolrda likes this.

post #58 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
16:9 screen without changing your seating greatly diminishes the impact of that material.
CIW will change the impact of all scope material and it is a 16:9 screen. CIH+IMAX is also a 16:9 screen and will not change the impact of scope at all.

Like you 2% or less of my movie viewing is IMAX 50% or more is scope. Then there is TV that is not movie viewing. About 80% of TV is filmed in a manner that is close to Flat in terms of movies, 10% is kind of marginal as this new 2.0 AR stuff is finding its place and 10% is flat out filmed like it was IMAX inspired. I happen to have my own balance of streaming TV and regular TV and this IMAX like TV. None of it is Cinema most of it isn’t Flat or Scope or IMAX AR’s.

If 100% of what you watch is UHD BD and it is all cinema, then sure why not just stick with a scope screen unless you are a huge Nolan fan.

If you are like me and 60% of what you watch is sourced other than cinema then you might want to factor that in.

Bringing this back on topic, I hope Nolan’s next movie starts off in scope for 30 seconds and then changes to IMAX and stays that size for the next 2 hours. in doing so it will go on Josh’s list and wont be considered Flat. How great a real IMAX movie on BD.

In fact any of the directors out there making IMAX/Scope versions of a movie do the 30 second thing in the beginning and get on the list so we can get the IMAX cut.

Bud
post #59 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Why would I need to move my seating when I’ve designed it to IMAX Digital(LieMAX) specs of immersion. I’m already inside the viewing area of my local imax which has a 60ft wide screen. Then I add my lens. It would be like my local IMAX slapping an 1.25x A lens on to go 75ft wide. I did consider IMAX and used their spec when deciding on screen size.
post #60 of 196 Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Be honest now, which would you prefer? Clearly the top image is more immersive. Less info but more immersive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page