List of Variable Aspect Ratio Movies on Blu-ray - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #181 of 196 Old 06-14-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
I went 2.76:1 and wouldn't go back
I went 2.76 on my test screen last year and have spent a lot of time on calculations to be able to retain it when I build the final screen, at a larger scale. The final height decision comes down to a either having zoom range for 2.2:1 TV shows without lens or maxing out 2.76 with lens. I've figured out how to hit 2.76 at 60 inches high, but need to do a test to see if its bright enough and not overwhelmingly large. I'm going to have to use a mirror to extend throw, and I will also have to determine if the screen edge would interfere with the speakers, which might force me to scale down to 2.55:1 or go shorter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4135 Post(s)
Liked: 3154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I went 2.76 on my test screen last year and have spent a lot of time on calculations to be able to retain it when I build the final screen, at a larger scale. The final height decision comes down to a either having zoom range for 2.2:1 TV shows without lens or maxing out 2.76 with lens. I've figured out how to hit 2.76 at 60 inches high, but need to do a test to see if its bright enough and not overwhelmingly large. I'm going to have to use a mirror to extend throw, and I will also have to determine if the screen edge would interfere with the speakers, which might force me to scale down to 2.55:1 or go shorter.
In general, I think a 2.76:1 screen is overkill for the small minority of content at ratios wider than 2.40:1, but I was watching Lady and the Tramp (2.55:1) with my kids this weekend and definitely see the appeal.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #183 of 196 Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
In general, I think a 2.76:1 screen is overkill for the small minority of content at ratios wider than 2.40:1, but I was watching Lady and the Tramp (2.55:1) with my kids this weekend and definitely see the appeal.
Yes, that one, and Sleeping Beauty for the kids, and I can't help loving the look of La La Land. The intro aspect ratio stretch is cool.

You are right that 2.76 is overkill, but width is so easy to add, I figure I might as well if it is convenient. I am sizing for 2.4 as primary viewing mode. The 2.55 setting will open all the way to the wings, and 2.76 will technically be behind the false wall, but still visible from most seats. Truth be told, I only have one 2.76 movie at the moment, and I don't even like it! I'm just excited about seeing the masking open ALLLLLLLL the way out and if I am going to go to 2.55, I might as well finish it.

The new conundrum is I realized the A-lens will block one side of the screen unless I reverse the direction of the slide, which will make me change the projector position and cost me some throw range. I may have to give up on mounting in a soffit and just suspend the pj behind a beam. So annoyed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 196 Old 07-29-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

From what I can ascertain, it appears that all copies of Alita: Battle Angel (Blu-ray, UHD, and 3D) are Constant Image Height.

On the other hand, I found a YouTube review of Captain Marvel 3D that confirms it has variable ratio.
dschulz likes this.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-29-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #185 of 196 Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Avengers: Endgame is CIH on Blu-ray and UHD. Waiting for confirmation on the overseas 3D Blu-ray, which won't be released until September. I expect that it will also be CIH like Infinity War.

If anyone is picking up the first Iron Man movie on UHD this week, could you please check the aspect ratio? That movie was 2.35:1 originally. However, an IMAX re-release in 2018 had a variable ratio with some scenes opening up to 1.9:1.

Josh Z

post #186 of 196 Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
If anyone is picking up the first Iron Man movie on UHD this week, could you please check the aspect ratio? That movie was 2.35:1 originally. However, an IMAX re-release in 2018 had a variable ratio with some scenes opening up to 1.9:1.

CIH all the way.
post #187 of 196 Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
CIH all the way.
The UHD? You got it early?

Josh Z

post #188 of 196 Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
The UHD? You got it early?
Yes to both.
Josh Z likes this.
post #189 of 196 Old 08-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would it be possible for you to add a section on movies with alternating aspect ratios in both theaters and UHD or Blu Ray disks but only have CIH in digital forms? Now that the digital copies are trending due to convenience and cost, it would be very useful so we can continue to purchase in disc form if the aspect ratio is not retained digitally and critical to our choice of media. Thanks.
post #190 of 196 Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdgamer View Post
Would it be possible for you to add a section on movies with alternating aspect ratios in both theaters and UHD or Blu Ray disks but only have CIH in digital forms? Now that the digital copies are trending due to convenience and cost, it would be very useful so we can continue to purchase in disc form if the aspect ratio is not retained digitally and critical to our choice of media. Thanks.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's very difficult to track that information currently.

Josh Z

post #191 of 196 Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's very difficult to track that information currently.
Thanks for considering. I only realized this recently when I purchased digital copy for the Dark Knight series in 4K, and was real disappointed when both Dark Knight titles did not retain variable aspect ratios upon viewing. Had I known, I would have bought the disc versions instead even if it is more costly as personally the imax format on these scenes greatly add to its value and enjoyment. Perusing threads about this informed me that Dunkirk will have the same issues in digital form, as may other Christopher Nolan movies. This is the best thread I’ve seen that is very informative with regards variable aspects in movies.

Perhaps a good starting point would be just the movies already in your current list with variable aspects if your team retains the digital copies for these which can then be viewed, or from feedback from readers. Thanks.
post #192 of 196 Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for considering. I only realized this recently when I purchased digital copy for the Dark Knight series in 4K, and was real disappointed when both Dark Knight titles did not retain variable aspect ratios upon viewing. Had I known, I would have bought the disc versions instead even if it is more costly as personally the imax format on these scenes greatly add to its value and enjoyment. Perusing threads about this informed me that Dunkirk will have the same issues in digital form, as may other Christopher Nolan movies. This is the best thread I’ve seen that is very informative with regards variable aspects in movies.

Perhaps a good starting point would be just the movies already in your current list with variable aspects if your team retains the digital copies for these which can then be viewed, or from feedback from readers. Thanks.
For now, I'll add the two Dark Knight movies to the "Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but Have Constant Height 2.35:1 Options Available" list. If anyone comes across other examples like this, please let me know.

Josh Z

post #193 of 196 Old 08-23-2019, 01:22 AM

Please see attached. Don't know how to drop the list from an excel that will be formatted in this page properly, so I attached an image instead. I have digital copies of most of the movies that were tagged with different Image Aspect in blu/UHD in the first page, so I checked my digital copies from iTunes and Movies Anywhere, and indicated the current formats when you view these in these apps. I've also indicated whether my source was digital HD or 4K. Hope this helps. Since I mostly watch movies at home instead of theaters, I actually didn't realize I am missing a lot of movies in the designed formats. I'll consider and check this site next time I decide to buy a disc or digital copy. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspect Ratio.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2606166  
Josh Z likes this.
post #194 of 196 Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Please see attached. Don't know how to drop the list from an excel that will be formatted in this page properly, so I attached an image instead. I have digital copies of most of the movies that were tagged with different Image Aspect in blu/UHD in the first page, so I checked my digital copies from iTunes and Movies Anywhere, and indicated the current formats when you view these in these apps. I've also indicated whether my source was digital HD or 4K. Hope this helps. Since I mostly watch movies at home instead of theaters, I actually didn't realize I am missing a lot of movies in the designed formats. I'll consider and check this site next time I decide to buy a disc or digital copy. Thanks.
Thanks for that. I've added a section for digital streaming to the first post. Does that help?

Of the titles with variable ratio on Blu-ray or UHD, this leaves us with only Interstellar and Tron: Legacy to confirm on streaming. Has anyone streamed those?
dvdgamer likes this.

Josh Z

post #195 of 196 Old 08-24-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Thanks for that. I've added a section for digital streaming to the first post. Does that help?

Of the titles with variable ratio on Blu-ray or UHD, this leaves us with only Interstellar and Tron: Legacy to confirm on streaming. Has anyone streamed those?
If and or when IMAX Enhanced ever gets rolling I believe FandangoNow will have the exclusive rights for being the download site for the digital IMAX Enhanced version. It could get confusing if restrictions on IMAX content to 2.35 was on the digital version of a movie but the full 1.89 DMRed HDR version could be found else ware on Fandango.

I guess time will tell there is talk now IMAX Enhanced is DOA. There certainly isn’t the buzz there was a year ago.

Bud
post #196 of 196 Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Avengers: Endgame 3D confirmed to be 2.35:1 CIH. No open matte or variable ratio.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page