Vertically stretch streaming videos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nowandthen
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
nowandthen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Vertically stretch streaming videos

What's out there to vertically stretch videos in order to fill a 2.35:1 screen with streaming 2.35:1 videos?

I normally rent Blu-Rays and still do, and my Oppo does the vertical stretch for 2.35:1 blu-rays, but tech is moving on. I'm not a prude when it comes to absolute video quality, we need a means to vertically stretch streaming videos. Sometimes I just want to stream a film I heard about on the radio and I want to fill my 2.35:1 screen.

I have an metamorphic lens.

Years ago I read about software that was XY something, it sounded complicated. I don't want to spend countless hours fussing with software. Is there simple-to-use vertical stretch software (or hardware) out there?

Thanks!
nowandthen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
What's out there to vertically stretch videos in order to fill a 2.35:1 screen with streaming 2.35:1 videos?

I normally rent Blu-Rays and still do, and my Oppo does the vertical stretch for 2.35:1 blu-rays, but tech is moving on. I'm not a prude when it comes to absolute video quality, we need a means to vertically stretch streaming videos. Sometimes I just want to stream a film I heard about on the radio and I want to fill my 2.35:1 screen.

I have an metamorphic lens.

Years ago I read about software that was XY something, it sounded complicated. I don't want to spend countless hours fussing with software. Is there simple-to-use vertical stretch software (or hardware) out there?

Thanks!
Some of the Oppo player had an HDMI input and could apply the scaling to external sources. Many projectors will also perform vertical stretch. Then there are external scalers like the Lumagen.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
dreamer is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
The_Nephilim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well that would be good if the projector can stretch the image then we will be able to watch Netflix in CIH??


Right now I am using the Zoom method for CIH.. but I am hoping to get a A-Lens soon..

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
The_Nephilim1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,957
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
Well that would be good if the projector can stretch the image then we will be able to watch Netflix in CIH??


Right now I am using the Zoom method for CIH.. but I am hoping to get a A-Lens soon..
I did the month free trial netflix to see what it was about and I was able to scale with the projector. Even though the OPPO was the source, I could not seem to vertically stretch using the player, just the projector.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
nowandthen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks, I'll check those out.

And thanks for not mocking my typo, you obviously understood I meant anamorphic not metamorphic.
CAVX likes this.
nowandthen is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
nowandthen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Some of the Oppo player had an HDMI input and could apply the scaling to external sources. Many projectors will also perform vertical stretch. Then there are external scalers like the Lumagen.
I checked prices on Lumagens. More than I want to pay. I've spent a ton of money on my theater over the years. I've learned to not overspend, technology moves too fast.

I searched Oppo and their ability to stretch via an HDMI input. Got tired of reading so I took the easy way out, contact Oppo. They responded in less than an hour.

Me: Are any of your blu-ray players able to vertically stretch via an HDMI input? I have a 1080P projector with an anamorphic lens. I'm looking for a way to vertically stretch streaming 2.35:1 movies from a FireTV or Roku etc. Someone on AVSForum said some Oppo models could do this. I have a BDP-83 and have been very happy with it.


Oppo reply:
The UDP-203 and UDP-205 can vertically stretch anything that comes through the HDMI IN on the player.

Anyone want to buy an Oppo BDP-83 (not a lot of hours on it for as old as it is)?


Last edited by nowandthen; 10-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
nowandthen is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2017, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
nowandthen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A follow up question to Oppo, and I imagine this is the answer from any player manufacturer:

Me: One more question, are your players able to shift subtitles? Or is that only a Blu-ray “thing”.


Oppo: It can shift subtitles only when the player is doing the subtitle generation, but can't shift subtitles from an external video source.


I suppose even the Lumagen can't shift subtitles from a streaming source. Right? Subtitles must already be embedded and can't be manipulated. If so, this leads to the question: How many "recent" movies put subtitles in the black requiring subtitle shift when doing a vertical stretch?

I think we still need to rent or buy blu-rays. Not a big deal, but I was hoping to have more flexibility to watch movies on demand.






Last edited by nowandthen; 10-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.
nowandthen is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
A follow up question to Oppo, and I imagine this is the answer from any player manufacturer:

Me: One more question, are your players able to shift subtitles? Or is that only a Blu-ray “thing”.


Oppo: It can shift subtitles only when the player is doing the subtitle generation, but can't shift subtitles from an external video source.


I suppose even the Lumagen can't shift subtitles from a streaming source. Right? Subtitles must already be embedded and can't be manipulated. If so, this leads to the question: How many "recent" movies put subtitles in the black requiring subtitle shift when doing a vertical stretch?

I think we still need to rent or buy blu-rays. Not a big deal, but I was hoping to have more flexibility to watch movies on demand.





If the subtitles are part of the 16:9 image, then I imagine everything will shift them off the screen when doing a vertical stretch. On the other hand, if a bluray movie or dvd allows you to choose what language the subtitles are in, I imagine that must mean they are metadata rather than part of the image and can be relocated, right ?

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
dreamer is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,647
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4798 Post(s)
Liked: 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
Oppo: It can shift subtitles only when the player is doing the subtitle generation, but can't shift subtitles from an external video source.

I suppose even the Lumagen can't shift subtitles from a streaming source. Right? Subtitles must already be embedded and can't be manipulated.
The OPPO player can shift the position of subtitles on a DVD or Blu-ray because the player itself decodes those subtitles and places them on top of the image. This is how you can turn them on or off, or switch subtitle languages. Any video signal that you feed into the player's HDMI input will already have subtitles burned-in to the image, and the player can do nothing to change them. An external video processor will have the same problem.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-06-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
nowandthen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are subtitles still placed in the black (or partially in the black) on 2;35 movies these days?
nowandthen is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,647
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4798 Post(s)
Liked: 3703
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
Are subtitles still placed in the black (or partially in the black) on 2;35 movies these days?
Some studios still insist on doing it that way, yes.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off