Oppo UDP203’s 21x9 CIH Mode - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 306 Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Just to confirm, these all work on 4k Ultra HD sources?
Yes. All 4K sources whether from the Oppo via disc,4K streamed from thumb drives from the usb ins and my Roku and Nvidia 4K streamers all running 4K24/30/60. 4K60 was really the big problem as no JVC will scale that internally. HDR flagging is flawless with all inputs. I'm growing partial to the look of 4K60 streaming. I rarely rent but I watched BR2049 in 4K60/HDR from Vudu on the Shield and it looked really good.
Josh Z likes this.
coolrda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 306 Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
The 16x9 mode on 21:9 Fixed is accomplished by squeezing the 16x9 info into a 12x9(4x3) while the 21:9 Moveable is 16x9 mode is non-scaled due to the lens being moved out of the light path. The 21:9 and Full modes scaling will be the same on both Fixed and Moveable as the lens is engaged.
I just stumbled onto this and I must of done something wrong. When I tried 21:9 moveable it just stretched the picture horizontally when I used my moveable lens ( no difference to when using a 16x9 AR). Do I have to put the projector on a different setting ?

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #33 of 306 Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I just stumbled onto this and I must of done something wrong. When I tried 21:9 moveable it just stretched the picture horizontally when I used my moveable lens ( no difference to when using a 16x9 AR). Do I have to put the projector on a different setting ?
The JVC must be set to Anamorphic Off and not A or B. I’ll double check the moveable scaling as I focused on the 21:9 Cropped mode last run thru.
coolrda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 306 Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
The JVC must be set to Anamorphic Off and not A or B. I’ll double check the moveable scaling as I focused on the 21:9 Cropped mode last run thru.
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #35 of 306 Old 01-27-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,692
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm playing around with this mode for my setup...which is a JCV projector and just 2:35:1 screen via masking...no A-Lens. I Have two questions regarding my setup...see below:

I set up the projector with the masking panels off (16:9 screen) so when I do not use the Oppo CIH mode, the oppo home menu, etc extends onto the panels when they are on. As expected. 2:35 content plays back perfectly with the panels and no changes to the oppo...the home menu over-spill is the only problem.

When I use the cropped CIH mode, the Oppo Home Menu is then the correct Height (no over-spill), but does not fill the screen. I then use one of the zoom modes, and it will eventually fill the 2:35:1 screen.

1) Is this the proper way to use the CIH mode for my setup?
2) Is there a way to save the zoom setting on the Oppo so it reverts back to it after a power cycle? As best I can tell, when I power off the player, it only remembers the CIH mode setting, so on a restarts, it not doing the zoom and does not fill the screen.

Thanks!

I don't really like talking about my flair
barhoram is offline  
post #36 of 306 Old 01-27-2018, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.
I double checked and it scales properly in 21:9 Movable. I confirmed with several 4K blurays and all function the same. What content are you scaling?
coolrda is offline  
post #37 of 306 Old 01-27-2018, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I'm playing around with this mode for my setup...which is a JCV projector and just 2:35:1 screen via masking...no A-Lens. I Have two questions regarding my setup...see below:

I set up the projector with the masking panels off (16:9 screen) so when I do not use the Oppo CIH mode, the oppo home menu, etc extends onto the panels when they are on. As expected. 2:35 content plays back perfectly with the panels and no changes to the oppo...the home menu over-spill is the only problem.

When I use the cropped CIH mode, the Oppo Home Menu is then the correct Height (no over-spill), but does not fill the screen. I then use one of the zoom modes, and it will eventually fill the 2:35:1 screen.

1) Is this the proper way to use the CIH mode for my setup?
2) Is there a way to save the zoom setting on the Oppo so it reverts back to it after a power cycle? As best I can tell, when I power off the player, it only remembers the CIH mode setting, so on a restarts, it not doing the zoom and does not fill the screen.

Thanks!
21:9 Cropped is for CIH systems where the Projector is zoomed to fill the screens width with overspill on the top and bottom. This is permenently blanked and masked basically turning your 16x9 projector into a 21x9 projector with you having 800x1920 or 1600x3840 pixels and all content scaled to this. Now 16x9 content is scaled to this new pixel count inside the CIH system. No further zooming or scaling should be done with the projector as is the case with all of these 21:9 modes.
ScottAvery likes this.
coolrda is offline  
post #38 of 306 Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I double checked and it scales properly in 21:9 Movable. I confirmed with several 4K blurays and all function the same. What content are you scaling?

X-men apocalypse 4k

What process steps do you use. You place it on 21:9 moveable. Do you stretch the picture ? Sorry I’m trying to get a better understand in how this works, what its purpose is.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #39 of 306 Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
X-men apocalypse 4k

What process steps do you use. You place it on 21:9 moveable. Do you stretch the picture ? Sorry I’m trying to get a better understand in how this works, what its purpose is.
I used Fixed as my lens is always in the light path. Heres a video of what happens when I scale with it set to 21:9 Movable. Excuse the poor quality. I recorded in HD but uploaded in SD.

coolrda is offline  
post #40 of 306 Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.
coolrda is offline  
post #41 of 306 Old 01-28-2018, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.

Thank you so much for that Coolrda. That was very helpful will look at it again tonight.
coolrda likes this.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #42 of 306 Old 01-28-2018, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
sbquart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HDR misconvergence is fixed with the new firmware. Finally my movies look good!
sbquart is offline  
post #43 of 306 Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
HDR misconvergence is fixed with the new firmware. Finally my movies look good!
Thanks for the heads up.
coolrda is offline  
post #44 of 306 Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Member
 
DenverMDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've been using the 21.9 Cropped mode for awhile with my 203. Has anyone noticed that the when switching to the 16.9 mode by using the zoom button - that a 16.9 movie is still zoomed not quite right? I've brought up the issue a few months ago with Oppo and in the 203 owners thread but maybe I'm not doing something correct. Just to confirm, menus fit correctly but 16.9 content played through my Nvidia Shield (kodi) projected by my JVC RS500 are still just a bit too big to fit within my screen. I had a lumagen mini and was hoping that it would be a shrink to fit solution like that. Am I crazy?

Dual Denon 5200’s for 9.1.4, Emotiva IPS-1, Crown XLS 1502, Aircom S10 cooling fans | Definitive Technology BP2002, CLR 2002, BP-2x and BPX surround and heights, PSA 3600i dual 18’s (1), PSA xs15se's (2) Definitive Technology PF15TL (2)| JVC RS500, Oppo UHD-203 player, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Custom 150" screen with Seymour XD material, Nvidia Shield, Panamax 5200
DenverMDM is offline  
post #45 of 306 Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Downloaded the beta firmware which fixes the color shifting with 21:9 modes. Theres mention of the improved sharpness with all material including 4K and that Oppo now has the sharpness and quality of the UB900. While I would need to see and A/B comp I have to say overall its never looked crisper, tack sharp with incredible shadow detail and color saturation.
coolrda is offline  
post #46 of 306 Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Just to futher elaborate and clarify, if I had a lens sled, with the lens out I would use 16x9 and it would scale as a typical non lens projector with a letterboxed presentation. Full appears to stretch the picture horizontally, which I only see a benefit with 4x3 material if you wish to stretch it to fill the screen. 21x9 stretchs the picture vertically to to fill the screen with the lens in place. So lens in light path and 21:9 for 2.35 content and lens removed from light path and 16:9 for 1.78/1.85 content and ignore Full.


Tried it tonight with new Blade Runner fantastic with the 21:9 mode. Thanks for your help. Puts a new lease in life regarding anamorphic for us new lens owners.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #47 of 306 Old 01-30-2018, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Tried it tonight with new Blade Runner fantastic with the 21:9 mode. Thanks for your help. Puts a new lease in life regarding anamorphic for us new lens owners.
Your welcome. I agree and actually prefer having the Oppo do the scaling. The fact it does the same with HDMI in and gives you all the data specs to boot is great.
Franin likes this.
coolrda is offline  
post #48 of 306 Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Your welcome. I agree and actually prefer having the Oppo do the scaling. The fact it does the same with HDMI in and gives you all the data specs to boot is great.


I agree the same

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #49 of 306 Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Senior Member
 
edtorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi, for those of us who doesn't have projector but TV (I have the Sony A1E), what is the best 21:9 zoom setting we should use?

65" Sony A1E OLED TV
55” TCL C803 TV
55” Sony HX929 TV
Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player
edtorious is offline  
post #50 of 306 Old 02-04-2018, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi Coolrda there all off I just move the lens with no anamorphic supplied by the projector. At the moment I see no difference between the 16:9 and 21:9 moveable.
AFAIK, the moveable option is no different to the Vertical Stretch of the previous player and or FW of this player. The real magic happens when you select "fixed" lens and then use the zoom button (denoted by the magnifying glass on the remote) to toggle between VS, HS and normal.

In the moveable option, there is no HS mode because you would have moved the lens out of the light path for this.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is online now  
post #51 of 306 Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post
Hi, for those of us who doesn't have projector but TV (I have the Sony A1E), what is the best 21:9 zoom setting we should use?
You use 16:9 unless you have a 21:9 TV.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is online now  
post #52 of 306 Old 02-04-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,363
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
AFAIK, the moveable option is no different to the Vertical Stretch of the previous player and or FW of this player. The real magic happens when you select "fixed" lens and then use the zoom button (denoted by the magnifying glass on the remote) to toggle between VS, HS and normal.



In the moveable option, there is no HS mode because you would have moved the lens out of the light path for this.


I found the moveable option when using the 21:9 with lens on front I’ve noticed that information is now on screen ( not cut off like in stretch mode )

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #53 of 306 Old 02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I found the moveable option when using the 21:9 with lens on front I’ve noticed that information is now on screen ( not cut off like in stretch mode )
I don't have my player yet. Are you guys able to post screen grabs on how this works?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is online now  
post #54 of 306 Old 02-04-2018, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
I don't have my player yet. Are you guys able to post screen grabs on how this works?
I’ll get something together.
CAVX likes this.
coolrda is offline  
post #55 of 306 Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Member
 
benji888578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
Based on what I am seeing from Epson and Optoma UHD projectors, Scaling or more to point, 1:1 pixel mapping is irrelevant with UHD content.

However, the true 21:9 mode for UHD has 2160 vertical pixels and would support 5120 pixels if the studios would encode properly. At this time, they are just catering for a 16:9 market, so everything is maxed out to 3840 wide. Which kind of reminds me of early DVD days when studios were not using the anamorphic enhancement function, so would do 4 x 3 letter boxed transfers instead of 16:9 anamorphic. Why did they do this? Because MOST people owned 4 x 3 TVs.

So it really is a chicken / egg thing. Make the displays to move the population to UW but also give us program to support that. If they were smart, they would be encoding for 21:9 now and the current 16:9 players would not see this, hence reformat for 16:9. Update the player and you already have software. DTS did this on BD where they were already encoding at HDMA, but no one would hear this until HDMI 1.3 came out.
Sounds great, problem is, UHD discs don't have enough room as it is.

HD discs:
25GB single layer
50GB dual layer

UHD discs:
50 or 66 GB dual layer (50 would be for something short)
100 GB triple layer

HD=1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels
UHD=3840x2160=8,294,400 pixels

That's both sides multiplied twice, not just double the number of pixels, but 4 times as many pixels as HD, yet, the top capacity discs are only twice as large. Yeah, the H.265/HEVC compression is better, but, there's only room for the content as it is, no extras, we're talking about using more compression or getting more capacity out of the discs somehow.

(21:9 UHD 5120x2160=11,059,200 pixels)

DTS is not a fair comparison as we're talking about a much, much smaller amount of data.

An example of the problem with capacity is glaring with the Stranger Things UHD set. A reviewer on blu-ray.com reviewed both the UHD & BD discs. Netflix wanted to stay with using only 2 discs for the entire season for both the HD BDs and UHD BDs. He said the UHD version (SDR) didn't look better than the BDs. Not only did they (obviously) use more compression for the video to get it to fit on 2 100GB discs, they only have lossy audio. So the increase in capacity for UHD content isn't really enough at this point, for the best quality possible at 3840x2160 as it is, never mind going to 5120.

In a way, I think the disc capacities were a half-arsed attempt, they couldn't have done it without the new HEVC/H.265 compression tech also, but, it's still like trying to stuff "one more thing" into that already full suitcase, sometimes you just need a bigger case...and for 5120x2160 we need higher capacity discs, (or add another disc, which neither side likes.)
benji888578 is offline  
post #56 of 306 Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
If it’s done like DVD you simply use the entire 16x9 frame, all 2160 pixel lines instead of 1600. This 21:9 feature would only be of benefit to A lens users due to the vertical stretching of 2.35 content to fill the 16x9 frame.
coolrda is offline  
post #57 of 306 Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
If it’s done like DVD you simply use the entire 16x9 frame, all 2160 pixel lines instead of 1600. This 21:9 feature would only be of benefit to A lens users due to the vertical stretching of 2.35 content to fill the 16x9 frame.
I know that the Phillips 21:9 TVs would bi-cubic scale BDs to map out at 2560 x 1080. What we need to see is more 5120 x 2160 TVs (LG and I think Samsung) and if they could provide an electrical stretch, then the "anamorphic" mode you described (and how they should be done IMO) would work for all markets.

Full screen for 21:9 TVs [21:9 mode]
Anamorphic encodes for projectors + A-Lenses [21:9 mode]
Letterbox or centre crops for 16:9 [both 16:9 or 21:9 mode]
coolrda likes this.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is online now  
post #58 of 306 Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
I don't have my player yet. Are you guys able to post screen grabs on how this works?
This menu shows the disc data specs accessed by holding down the INFO button.

coolrda is offline  
post #59 of 306 Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,950
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
This menu shows the disc data specs accessed by holding down the INFO button.
Cool. Are you able to video the AR change when you press the zoom button?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is online now  
post #60 of 306 Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,916
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
Cool. Are you able to video the AR change when you press the zoom button?
CAVX and Franin like this.
coolrda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off