Originally Posted by ronaks
I am building a new theater and want to have CIH.
I'll be using a JVC DLA-X590R. I'd also like to get a screen with a viewing width of ~130" and a viewing height of 55". I'll be sitting about 14' away.
I'll be zooming, no lens.
I have two questions:
- Does anyone know of an affordable motorized masking system?
- Is there any way (aside from writing custom software or spending $20k) to make the motorized masking system automatically adapt based on the aspect ratio of the content?
For the automatic masking, I assume you mean that once you play the video content, the correct aspect ratio is detected and the projector zoom setting and screen masking system is set to that aspect ratio.
I have such a setup with just a couple of assumptions:
1) Materials to be played via Kodi... Any resolution works, including 4k. (So no automatic AR detection if you are playing from a cable box, streaming, etc...)
2) Projector's zoom setting can be controlled discretely via ip or ir.
3) Screen masking system can be controlled via ip or ir.
How it works:
1) When kodi start's to play a file, my add-on screen captures very much like any of the ambient light add-on for kodi. The add-on then calculates the aspect ratio based on the screen captured content.
2) With the calculated aspect ratio of the playing video source, the add-on then sets the projector zoom setting and the screen masking set.
Here's the avs thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...-cih-skin.html
The whole thing runs on an NVida Shield. To control the projector (DLA-RS400) zoom settings and the screen masking (Carada Masquerade CIH) I use the simple control app running on a left over ipad MINI. See the above thread for the details.
The code is not pretty, but it works.