List of TV Shows with Wider than 16:9 Aspect Ratios - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #151 of 198 Old 03-20-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I really wish broadcasters would bump their bugs up into the picture area (and out of the letterbox bars) when broadcasting shows that are wider than 16:9. Lookin' at you, CW. Having the bug spill down into the letterbox bars messes with the aesthetics of the widescreen presentation, and of course is problematic for anyone projecting onto a properly-masked screen.
Or, better, shrink it down so that it's only in the letterbox bar and we can ignore it completely.

I've been watching Briarpatch on USA, which is a 2.35:1 show. The network bug is almost totally in the letterbox bar, except for the very tops of the letters, which intrude a little bit into the bottom of my screen. I find that very annoying.
dschulz likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 198 Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Just a quick rant - posting here because I think those following this thread are the only 0.001% of viewers who would care...

I really wish broadcasters would bump their bugs up into the picture area (and out of the letterbox bars) when broadcasting shows that are wider than 16:9. Lookin' at you, CW. Having the bug spill down into the letterbox bars messes with the aesthetics of the widescreen presentation, and of course is problematic for anyone projecting onto a properly-masked screen.

I'm sure there is an infinitesimal number of people in the world projecting broadcast TV with the network bugs onto a screen, but still.

/rant
Being in the .001% of the .001% that read this thread and have a screening system that allows for CIH and also IMAX, I have to say I haven’t noticed or been annoyed by seeing the full Bug partly on the image and or partly in the IMAX area and partly the image. It is the same for sub titles having a place for them to go is a benefit IMO when they are placed in the black bars.

I have thought a lot about are these TV shows being non-movies actually wider than 16:9 or are they shorter than 16:9 as they would be more intended for the other .999% of the viewers. Despite the small percentage of viewers IMO they present well as assumed wider and like you I enjoy them that way. It is a logical follow thought process after you assume Prestige TV can be wider than TV to assume it can also be taller than TV as movies are out there taller than scope also.

Although I haven’t watched “Black Monday” yet I think I will be able enjoy the TV show as Scope-like and also the flashbacks Academy-like even though they are not scope or academy movies. I play my Academy movies taller than CIH (scope/flat) now so it should present well for me.

Also having screen area for the play/pause/time to display is nice when watching Prestige TV.

Bud
post #153 of 198 Old 03-23-2020, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Although I haven’t watched “Black Monday” yet I think I will be able enjoy the TV show as Scope-like and also the flashbacks Academy-like even though they are not scope or academy movies. I play my Academy movies taller than CIH (scope/flat) now so it should present well for me.
The 4:3 flashback scenes in Black Monday are meant to look like VHS on an old CRT TV. Have fun reconciling that with treating it like a classic Academy Ratio film projected in a movie palace.

Anyway, the season's third episode is constant 2.35:1 with no flashbacks.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-23-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 198 Old 03-23-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The 4:3 flashback scenes in Black Monday are meant to look like VHS on an old CRT TV. Have fun reconciling that with treating it like a classic Academy Ratio film projected in a movie palace.

Anywhere, the season's third episode is constant 2.35:1 with no flashbacks.
Sounds like the director made a grave error in judgment. As I mentioned I haven’t seen the show and I assumed the effect was used like it was in The Grand Budapest Hotel and a flashback to those years. You are correct if he wanted to flashback to 1950s TV he should have sized the image way down to look like a 19” 4:3 TV with rounded corners.

I watch Perry Mason and Twilight Zone etc. in our media room all the time off of streaming sites. I size them down as far as my zoom allows. What would really be perfect if I could find an app / mask that framed the stream in an old Zenith console TV set with a lighted tuner. That would be retro.

Maybe I should float the idea with Netflix to give me the option to stream it that way.

Bud
post #155 of 198 Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like the director made a grave error in judgment. As I mentioned I haven’t seen the show and I assumed the effect was used like it was in The Grand Budapest Hotel and a flashback to those years. You are correct if he wanted to flashback to 1950s TV he should have sized the image way down to look like a 19” 4:3 TV with rounded corners.
The show is set in the late 1980s. The flashbacks only go back a few years to the early 1980s.

Josh Z

post #156 of 198 Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The show is set in the late 1980s. The flashbacks only go back a few years to the early 1980s.
1980 doesn’t seem that long ago. Parents rocked 25” floor consoles and the kids if lucky got a 19” portable for the bedroom. Most of them still had knobs. CRT screens were starting to flatten out and the image corners were more square.

So ya a period correct size and shape for the flashback would be more convincing. Not the IMAX size you described. I do see the huge pixel size effect used a lot in movies and TV sometimes as a backdrop for the 60’s-70’s.

All we can say is right or wrong it is what the director wanted.

Bud
post #157 of 198 Old 03-28-2020, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HBO
Run (Apr 12) 2.0:1
I Know This Much Is True (Apr 27) 2.0:1
The Third Day (May 11) 2.0:1

Summer TBA

Dirty John season 2 aka Dirty John:Betty (USA) 2.0:1 series moves from Bravo to USA for season 2

Coyote (Par Network) 2.0:1
Josh Z likes this.
post #158 of 198 Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

The WGN America network has a new series called Almost Paradise premiering tonight. One of these trailers is standard 16:9 while the other is letterboxed to scope. If anyone watches this, can you confirm here what the actual aspect ratio is? I don't get that network in my cable package. Thanks.

Josh Z

post #159 of 198 Old 04-01-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The WGN America network has a new series called Almost Paradise premiering tonight. One of these trailers is standard 16:9 while the other is letterboxed to scope. If anyone watches this, can you confirm here what the actual aspect ratio is? I don't get that network in my cable package. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZKhBRs3ZfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUif6M8_eN8
WGN aired the first episode in the 16:9 ratio.
Josh Z likes this.
post #160 of 198 Old 04-06-2020, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I do not plan to subscribe to the new streaming service Quibi that launches today. My understanding is that all of its original content is designed to instantaneously switch from landscape to portrait layouts when you rotate your phone, so I wouldn't expect anything to have an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. If anyone does check it out and finds something notable that should be added to this list, please let me know.

Josh Z

post #161 of 198 Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not plan to subscribe to the new streaming service Quibi that launches today. My understanding is that all of its original content is designed to instantaneously switch from landscape to portrait layouts when you rotate your phone, so I wouldn't expect anything to have an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. If anyone does check it out and finds something notable that should be added to this list, please let me know.
It’s funny we have adapted Home Theater to include presentation modifications based around TV AR and now we will be adapting a cell phone media potentially to the big screen.

I wonder if any of the Quibi directors have commented on how their productions will play with big screen immersion levels? I generally watch cell phone media at about 6X Screen Height immersion.

Bud
post #162 of 198 Old 04-08-2020, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It’s funny we have adapted Home Theater to include presentation modifications based around TV AR and now we will be adapting a cell phone media potentially to the big screen.

I wonder if any of the Quibi directors have commented on how their productions will play with big screen immersion levels?
Quibi is only available for mobile devices. You cannot watch it on a TV or projector.

The reports I've read state that all of Quibi's content is photographed almost exclusively in tight close-ups. When you rotate the phone to portrait layout, the rare two-shot of people will change to a split-screen with one person's face on top of the other.

There is zero intent for big screen immersion, unless you plan to set your phone on the bridge of your nose.

Josh Z

post #163 of 198 Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quibi is only available for mobile devices. You cannot watch it on a TV or projector.

The reports I've read state that all of Quibi's content is photographed almost exclusively in tight close-ups. When you rotate the phone to portrait layout, the rare two-shot of people will change to a split-screen with one person's face on top of the other.

There is zero intent for big screen immersion, unless you plan to set your phone on the bridge of your nose.
I was just at the Quibi website and watched a few previews of their premium content on my monitor hosted at YouTube and could have easily ported it to the projector and it looked to me like the movies were framed and directed like any other made for TV movie. I understand it is a Phone only media and from what I’m reading the public finds that ridicules. People want to view where they want to view. I have watched IMAX epics on my phone also and if I’m stuck in an airport that might be the best I can do but without a work around IMO Quibi won’t be around long enough for us to list the ARs. Then again I’m wrong about most of these new cultural issues.

I do agree I won’t be signing up for even 90 days free with the restriction of phone only.

I only watched a few previews and I didn’t see the split screen stuff you mentioned, looked like regular TV to me.

https://www.cnet.com/news/quibi-bet-...-pandemic-hit/

Bud

Last edited by bud16415; 04-08-2020 at 09:27 AM.
post #164 of 198 Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was just at the Quibi website and watched a few previews of their premium content on my monitor hosted at YouTube and could have easily ported it to the projector
The previews were released to YouTube, but the full content is only available on the Quibi app, which is restricted to mobile devices.

Quote:
I understand it is a Phone only media and from what I’m reading the public finds that ridicules. People want to view where they want to view. I have watched IMAX epics on my phone also and if I’m stuck in an airport that might be the best I can do but without a work around IMO Quibi won’t be around long enough for us to list the ARs. Then again I’m wrong about most of these new cultural issues.

I do agree I won’t be signing up for even 90 days free with the restriction of phone only.
So far, it looks like Quibi is a big flop. Even with a free 90 day trial (which means that nobody has paid a cent to use it yet), the app only had 300,000 downloads at launch, which is about 7% of what Disney+ had on its first day.

Quote:
I only watched a few previews and I didn’t see the split screen stuff you mentioned, looked like regular TV to me.
Try turning your computer monitor sideways. I'm sure that will work.

Josh Z

post #165 of 198 Old 04-08-2020, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quibi dared Hollywood directors to make movies for phones. Who bit and what they learned

‘Turnstyle’ shooting

Veena Sud, whose Quibi thriller “The Stranger” debuts Monday, says she jumped at the chance to be part of what she calls “nothing short of a revolution in how we view film and TV content.” But that’s not to say the path forward was clear.

For Sud and the other filmmakers who jumped into the Quibi fray, the biggest challenge, visually speaking, was how to shoot something that can be watched as readily holding the phone vertically as horizontally, a feature that Quibi calls “Turnstyle.” Pulling that off required carefully planning every shot with an eye toward what would be in the frame in either orientation. In a vertical format, even simple dialogue scenes involving two characters talking to each other proved challenging.

“It took so much planning to figure out, how can I have conversations that don’t feel like a lot of information is missing?” says Sud of “The Stranger,” in which a Los Angeles rideshare driver (Maika Monroe) picks up a passenger (Dane DeHaan) who turns out to be a murderous psychopath. “We used every tool in the toolbox: We stacked the actors so one was in front of the other, we moved the camera, we bounced focal points back and forth, we used depth. We tried to really keep the visual experience engaging and not frustrating.”

Inevitably, though, cropping a shot vertically means losing key visual information, as any parent who has ever tried to shoot their kid’s school play or soccer game in portrait mode on their iPhone quickly discovers.

Josh Z

post #166 of 198 Old 04-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fi...eviews-1288094
But director Mark Pellington is one of the few artists to make aesthetic distinctions between the service's horizontal/vertical viewing orientations — one compositional, the other uncomfortably intimate — rather than just resorting to pan-and-scan.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sop...en-1234576425/
The platform’s elevator pitch says that users are able to view content horizontally and vertically, while still retaining full scope of the storytelling. This required “cross-shooting,” or several cameras capturing entire scenes at the same time to enable dynamic viewing.
post #167 of 198 Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhelvete View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fi...eviews-1288094
But director Mark Pellington is one of the few artists to make aesthetic distinctions between the service's horizontal/vertical viewing orientations — one compositional, the other uncomfortably intimate — rather than just resorting to pan-and-scan.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sop...en-1234576425/
The platform’s elevator pitch says that users are able to view content horizontally and vertically, while still retaining full scope of the storytelling. This required “cross-shooting,” or several cameras capturing entire scenes at the same time to enable dynamic viewing.
This is a billion dollar risk by some billionaires that think they have their finger on the pulse of a changing society of media crazed viewers. My opinion is it will backfire and go the way of so many other gimmicks in media. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong, people may love watching movies on a tiny screen and flipping their wrists over and over to see a facial expression that on a normal screen you could see by darting your eyes to look at a face. My lag time will be too slow and by the time I flip the phone the next image I want to see in landscape will be showing. I will constantly wonder what I’m missing watching the close up, and wonder what I’m missing close up when I’m panning.

I just don’t see Christopher Nolan getting excited to remake Dunkirk into a 10 minute Quibi.

Bud
post #168 of 198 Old 04-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
This is a billion dollar risk by some billionaires that think they have their finger on the pulse of a changing society of media crazed viewers. My opinion is it will backfire and go the way of so many other gimmicks in media. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong, people may love watching movies on a tiny screen and flipping their wrists over and over to see a facial expression that on a normal screen you could see by darting your eyes to look at a face. My lag time will be too slow and by the time I flip the phone the next image I want to see in landscape will be showing. I will constantly wonder what I’m missing watching the close up, and wonder what I’m missing close up when I’m panning.

I just don’t see Christopher Nolan getting excited to remake Dunkirk into a 10 minute Quibi.
Not paying for Quibi either and it does not help that Quibi got cute calling their TV series "movies in chapters". Not when Quibi should have embraced the fact they are making short form TV series. I posted the links regarding Survive because of the different techniques, at least as far as I can tell, that the director utilized to take advantage of the turnstyle function. Not that I would want to view content in portrait.
bud16415 likes this.

Last edited by johnhelvete; 04-11-2020 at 07:42 AM.
post #169 of 198 Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

Cardinal (2017-2020)
Canada on CTV. Hulu in the US.
2.0:1 all four seasons.
Josh Z likes this.

Last edited by johnhelvete; 04-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.
post #170 of 198 Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Trailer roundup for a couple of upcoming series you might have missed. AKA there is a lot of TV.

Perry Mason 2.0:1 (HBO) limited series June 21.

Barskins 2.0:1 (Nat Geo) limited series May 25.

Nat Geo joins Freeform, both now under the Disney umbrella, with series in the "streaming ratio". Considering the push Disney is giving for Hulu and that episodes are available on Hulu the next day for (FX, Freeform, Barskins since most Nat Geo is going to Disney+), the choice seems logical.
Josh Z likes this.
post #171 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble editing the first post in this thread today for some reason, but Netflix's Space Force appears to be 2.20:1 from the trailer.

Josh Z

post #172 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
I'm having trouble editing the first post in this thread today for some reason
It says you edited it within the last hour. Are you getting an error message?

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #173 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
It says you edited it within the last hour. Are you getting an error message?
The edit I'm trying to make - adding Space Force to the Netflix list - isn't taking and I get the attached error. Tried on Chrome (both desktop and mobile) and IE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2721410  

Josh Z

post #174 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Administrator

There's something about that post setting off a security flag when attempting any edit. Let's give it a day or two. Sometimes it just goes away. Otherwise I'll get the techs to dig into it.
Josh Z likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #175 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's something about that post setting off a security flag when attempting any edit. Let's give it a day or two. Sometimes it just goes away. Otherwise I'll get the techs to dig into it.
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the fact that I'd been attaching (and regularly replacing) a ZIP file with an Excel version of the list?

Josh Z

post #176 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the fact that I'd been attaching (and regularly replacing) a ZIP file with an Excel version of the list?
That could very well trigger it.

post #177 of 198 Old 05-05-2020, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That could very well trigger it.
For what it's worth, I still get the error today even when I try to edit without attaching the ZIP file.

Going forward, I can post the spreadsheet at the end of the thread rather than attaching to the first post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TV Show Aspect Ratios 05-05-2020.zip (18.2 KB, 2 views)

Josh Z

post #178 of 198 Old 05-06-2020, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
As much as I am glad to see wider than 1.78:1, it is almost sad to know that it is the shape of the phone screen that pushed this change, not advancements in large screen displays.
Reference proof for this statement. IMHO, it is the DCI 4K UHD cameras that have pushed the 2.0:1 with letterboxing.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #179 of 198 Old 05-06-2020, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Reference proof for this statement. IMHO, it is the DCI 4K UHD cameras that have pushed the 2.0:1 with letterboxing.
Most of the shows on this list are shot at 2k. Both 2k and 4k cameras have a raw data aspect ratio of 1.89:1. It's been that way since the advent of digital cinematography, not a new development. There is an existing workflow to crop both to the standard 16:9 ratio, which is what almost every single show on the major broadcast networks do.

The choice to letterbox is an artistic decision that has little to do with the camera used. The 2.0:1 aspect ratio that's become so prevalent is cropped on the top and bottom from what the camera captured.

Josh Z

post #180 of 198 Old 05-06-2020, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Still no go for me this morning. Dr. Don PM'ed me last night, so he's also looking at it.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page