Pairing an anamorphic lens with my rs540 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By ScottAvery
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Pairing an anamorphic lens with my rs540

I recently upgraded my projector to a JVC RS540. I have been using lens memory to switch between cinemascope and 16:9. After reading through a few of the threads, I am wondering if I should be adding an anamorphic lens to get the most out of my projector?


My setup is:
120" 2.35:1 screen
My projector throw is 16' 6" from the screen (this is the furthest I can throw)


Is adding an anamorphic lens possible/a good idea? I read somewhere that at that throw distance I might have to have a curved screen?


If it is a good idea, should I be on the lookout for a nice used lens? I have been scanning the classifieds and eBay, but I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for.


Thanks
Shayne Sherman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Sherman View Post
After reading through a few of the threads, I am wondering if I should be adding an anamorphic lens to get the most out of my projector?
The primary benefits of an anamorphic lens are:

1) Eliminating any black bars from projecting onto your wall.
2) A small brightness boost due to using the entire pixel panel for the active movie image.

JVC projectors have excellent contrast and black levels. In most cases, the letterbox bars projecting onto the wall aren't noticeable. The brightness boost may be helpful, especially for HDR, but do you feel that the projector isn't bright enough for your screen size now?

An anamorphic lens is a very expensive addition to a home theater. If this is a new projector for you, my advice is to break it in for a while doing the Zoom Method and get used to its capabilities. You can always add a lens later if you feel that the image you're getting has room for improvement.
Shayne Sherman and Craig Peer like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The primary benefits of an anamorphic lens are:

1) Eliminating any black bars from projecting onto your wall.
2) A small brightness boost due to using the entire pixel panel for the active movie image.

JVC projectors have excellent contrast and black levels. In most cases, the letterbox bars projecting onto the wall aren't noticeable. The brightness boost may be helpful, especially for HDR, but do you feel that the projector isn't bright enough for your screen size now?

An anamorphic lens is a very expensive addition to a home theater. If this is a new projector for you, my advice is to break it in for a while doing the Zoom Method and get used to its capabilities. You can always add a lens later if you feel that the image you're getting has room for improvement.
Thank you Josh,

I was mostly interested in the added pixels (resolution). If you don't think it would be a noticeable enough upgrade, I will just continue to use my lens memory as is. I do have an appointment for Chad B to come and optimize my projector.
Shayne Sherman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Sherman View Post
I was mostly interested in the added pixels (resolution). If you don't think it would be a noticeable enough upgrade, I will just continue to use my lens memory as is. I do have an appointment for Chad B to come and optimize my projector.
The added pixel resolution was more important back in the days of XGA or 720p projectors. Blu-ray and Ultra HD have enough resolution already that it's hard to notice the difference, IMO. Remember, a lens can't give you any new picture detail that isn't in the source. All you'd be doing is scaling the image to fill the pixel panel.

I've been a lens user for many years, ever since I started with an XGA business-class projector (the NEC LT240). Back then, an anamorphic lens was practically a necessity. Since I already have the lens, I'm going to continue to use it. But modern projectors (especially JVCs) have such good resolution, brightness and contrast that a lens is much less essential than it used to be.
Shayne Sherman likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Just to add to what Josh said. Definitely start with the zoom method, if you find that it's working really well just stick with it. For me I just couldn't get the brightness I wanted while watching HDR so I was always a little disappointed with that. I had to tone map all the way and or choose a lower gamma, neither which was as good as just having more light.

The lens definitively helped me and now i'm happy but you might find zooming does it for you so start with that.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Just to add to what Josh said. Definitely start with the zoom method, if you find that it's working really well just stick with it. For me I just couldn't get the brightness I wanted while watching HDR so I was always a little disappointed with that. I had to tone map all the way and or choose a lower gamma, neither which was as good as just having more light.

The lens definitively helped me and now i'm happy but you might find zooming does it for you so start with that.
Thank you. My projector is in a completely light controlled room (dedicated theater). I haven't completely figured out the HDR settings yet. I am using MadVR with an HTPC. I guess I will wait till Chad B does his calibration and see if he thinks I should do an anamorphic lens.
Shayne Sherman is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was wondering if there was any follow up to this thread? I am getting a RS540 as well and but this is my first projector but am being told of the benefits of the anamorphic lens. With the zoom method if a movie has changing aspect ratios there will be light spillage over the screen if zoomed to 2.35:1 and the director changes ratios to 16:9 or some Imax ratio for some scenes correct? I have seen videos on YouTube that show the JVC having an option for the anamorphic lens correction to not have any of this spillage, is this correct?

I am going to have a nearly identical throw and screen size as Shane
soundwave_rider is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post
With the zoom method if a movie has changing aspect ratios there will be light spillage over the screen if zoomed to 2.35:1 and the director changes ratios to 16:9 or some Imax ratio for some scenes correct?
Yes, that is correct. Portions of the movie image will spill onto your walls when the aspect ratio expands in height.



Quote:
I have seen videos on YouTube that show the JVC having an option for the anamorphic lens correction to not have any of this spillage, is this correct?
An anamorphic lens will stretch the entire picture (letterbox bars and all) 1.33x horizontally, leaving you with a distorted image. The scaling mode in the projector then crops off the letterbox bars and stretches the movie image 1.33x vertically to restore picture geometry. When these IMAX scenes hit, you lose any picture above and below the 2.35:1 frame lines. However, these movies are all composed to be safe for CIH projection and should not contain any vital picture info in those parts of the frame.

Alternately, the projector may have a blanking mode that will simply black out portions of the frame. You can use that to convert the top and bottom of the image into letterbox bars which are not noticeable when they spill off the screen.

Page 50 of the JVC RS540 manual has a section called "Mask" that implies it adds black bars to all four sides of the image. I'm not clear on whether you can get it to only add bars to the top and bottom without the left and right. You'll probably have to play around with it to see if it works.

http://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-2360-0C.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark-Knight-IMAX-scene.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2588742  

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Josh Z is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 192
If you happen to use an Oppo 203/205, it has blanking built in to its 21:9 mode, which does support zoom method as well as lens.
Josh Z likes this.
ScottAvery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off