Discussion Thread, TV shows with aspect ratios other than 16:9 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

As to the core question of the thread do you have a comment?

Is a TV series that is sent out to TV land in say 2.35:1 AR worthy of a presentation similar to a blockbuster movie of the same AR? Or do we discriminate and pick and chose our presentation similar to what I do based on how good we feel it will show?
Not really. As I stated above, probably 99% of the streaming or TV watching we do is on the 65" Vizio upstairs. In the theater I would probably zoom to whatever AR the material is in because there's no compelling reason to put up with content being letterboxed and pillarboxed to me. But that's not really an endorsement of how I feel it should or shouldn't be presented (there's no standard and you can argue either way). And in the end it's probably up to the individual unless the content creator chimes in with a preference. Since I'm almost always watching it on a flat panel, there's no choice there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Not really. As I stated above, probably 99% of the streaming or TV watching we do is on the 65" Vizio upstairs. In the theater I would probably zoom to whatever AR the material is in because there's no compelling reason to put up with content being letterboxed and pillarboxed to me. But that's not really an endorsement of how I feel it should or shouldn't be presented (there's no standard and you can argue either way). And in the end it's probably up to the individual unless the content creator chimes in with a preference. Since I'm almost always watching it on a flat panel, there's no choice there.
Watching it on a flat panel 99% of the time is for sure making a choice, and seeing how on the flat panel you will again have the content letter boxed makes me think you don’t rate this non 16:9 “prestige TV” anywhere close to movie like content. Most of the world doesn’t have a CIH HT as an option so in your case I think you are saying its TV.

Bud
post #33 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Watching it on a flat panel 99% of the time is for sure making a choice, and seeing how on the flat panel you will again have the content letter boxed makes me think you don’t rate this non 16:9 “prestige TV” anywhere close to movie like content. Most of the world doesn’t have a CIH HT as an option so in your case I think you are saying its TV.
A lot has to do with the convenience factor. Most evenings we're not usually inclined to relocate to the basement and this is when most TV is watched. The theater is used mostly on the weekends and we usually have a movie list waiting we want to watch. We did wait to watch The Highwaymen on Netflix downstairs in scope, but this a movie so I'm not sure it addresses the topic.

I guess I would say that TV generally doesn't make the list of things to watch when we fire up the theater. I don't know that I'd say it's we consider TV lesser as much as it is a reflection on how much we enjoy watching films. As the industry changes, this may change as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
With the idea that it will not be shown in theatres I don't necessarily understand why a showrunner would film in scope.

That said as a projector owner, I'd love if more cinema type shows were shot in a wider aspect ratio. Stranger Things in 2.35? Yes, please!
post #35 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsauvag View Post
With the idea that it will not be shown in theatres I don't necessarily understand why a showrunner would film in scope.

That said as a projector owner, I'd love if more cinema type shows were shot in a wider aspect ratio. Stranger Things in 2.35? Yes, please!
Because I use a freelance method of presentation on a stealth screen wall that allows me to expand as large as I feel comfortable with that is in the range of IMAX immersion. We have watched Stranger Things nearly IMAXed no need to wait for scope. It is pretty cool. I don’t think I want Wheel of fortune IMAXed but Stranger Things once in a while why not.

Bud
post #36 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked: 2819
The wife and I watch Jeopardy on the living room TV most evenings after dinner. The other night, we decided to watch it in the home theater. My wife repeatedly commented on how disturbing she found the experience. The contestants' faces were way too big and it felt like the clues on the board were going to slam her in the face when they zoomed in to fill the screen.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #37 of 37 Old 06-11-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
A lot has to do with the convenience factor. Most evenings we're not usually inclined to relocate to the basement and this is when most TV is watched. The theater is used mostly on the weekends and we usually have a movie list waiting we want to watch. We did wait to watch The Highwaymen on Netflix downstairs in scope, but this a movie so I'm not sure it addresses the topic.

I guess I would say that TV generally doesn't make the list of things to watch when we fire up the theater. I don't know that I'd say it's we consider TV lesser as much as it is a reflection on how much we enjoy watching films. As the industry changes, this may change as well.
Yes of course that makes sense. We all use our projection systems differently and at my old house I had a dedicated basement HT with two tier seating. Many times I was down there alone as the family liked the more social TV room upstairs. At this house the theater is adjacent to the living room and more of an extended living room. There is no TV in the living room and the comfy seating is in the media room. It gets all our TV and combined media use except there is a 32” TV built into the wall in the kitchen to watch the news and weather.

So the wide variability of image sizes I work with in the media room might not apply if it was mostly movies only.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page