How do I remove black bars on 2:1 tv shows? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How do I remove black bars on 2:1 tv shows?

I have a panamorph u480 with a projector that can do horizontal stretch. It works great for for switching between cinescope movies and 16:9.

But more and more tv shows have the odd aspect ratio 2:1 which makes the annoying black bars to be seen again.

I dont think my current projector has any more settings to remove them for this format.

I see two solutions: a new projector like the 6040ub which support an anamorphic lens similar to my setup today, but it also support motorized zoom so I can ”zoom out” the black bars, but that leaves some picture smilling on the wall.

solution 2: use my current projector and buy a video processor like lumagen. Can I use this processor to stretch the 2:1 and 16:9 content individually and save these two different settings into 2 buttons on the remote? this method does the same thing like the zoom method without image overspill.

I havent used a video processor like this before so I am not sure It can do what I want??

/Challe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Do you have a 2.35:1 screen? If so, a Lumagen processor does have scaling modes that will zoom-up the image to fill the height of the screen, cropping off the black bars.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

yes i have a 2.35:1 screen, are there any used affordable processors that can handle 4k aswell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challe77 View Post
yes i have a 2.35:1 screen, are there any used affordable processors that can handle 4k aswell?
At this point in time, Lumagen is basically the only option. Sadly, they are very expensive. You'd probably be better off buying a new projector with motorized zoom.

Quote:
a new projector like the 6040ub which support an anamorphic lens similar to my setup today, but it also support motorized zoom so I can ”zoom out” the black bars, but that leaves some picture smilling on the wall.
With a motorized zoom, the only thing that should be shining onto your wall are the letterbox bars. You'd zoom back out when watching any content that fills the height of the 16:9 frame.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes they seem very pricy, as far as I can see the only 4k projector that support an anamorphic lens and also has lens memory zoom is the epson 6040ub, or are there cheaper ones has these tho features?

/Challe
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I believe the current price on JVC 790 is comparable to the 6040 and is a much better device, if you can still find one. Both are also comparable in price to a lumagen, I believe. Like Epson, Sony also cripples the CIH support on their lower end projectors, but in general, JVC, Sony, and Epson all offer lens memory and Anamorphic scaling.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

hmm, is this jvc model suitable for a living room with ambient light?, the lumen output is lower than the epson, I doubt I will find this in my country, so a used one maybe, I plan to buy a new/used one in november when I have suffecient funds
post #8 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

has anyone replaced the lamp without module on the x790, I have replaced the lamp only on the hd33 which was easy, is it as easy on the x790?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page