Where to Mount CIH Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where to Mount CIH Projector?

Hi,

I have an Epson 5040ub projector with lens memory I'd like to set up with CIH. I can do an 39" vertical and want to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 and just accept black bars on the sides when viewing in 16:9. How do I determine the range of possible mounting positions (distance from screen)? I'm trying to figure out projector calculators with my zoom, etc but need advice.

According to Projector Central, I have a 2.10:1 zoom and 1.35-2.84 throw ratio...

Thank you,
Alex

EDIT: I changed 80" vertical to 39" because I got confused. An 80" 16:9 screen has a 39" vertical. I need help figuring out the range of distances where I can mount my projector to project 39" high picture in 16:9 and 2.35:1

Last edited by dragonist2; 07-08-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonist2 View Post
Hi,

I have an Epson 5040ub projector with lens memory I'd like to set up with CIH. I can do an 39" vertical and want to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 and just accept black bars on the sides when viewing in 16:9. How do I determine the range of possible mounting positions (distance from screen)? I'm trying to figure out projector calculators with my zoom, etc but need advice.

According to Projector Central, I have a 2.10:1 zoom and 1.35-2.84 throw ratio...

Thank you,
Alex

EDIT: I changed 80" vertical to 39" because I got confused. An 80" 16:9 screen has a 39" vertical. I need help figuring out the range of distances where I can mount my projector to project 39" high picture in 16:9 and 2.35:1
The easiest way to do this when using lens memory is to get the distances for two 16:9 screens. The first 16:9 screen is using the height of the screen (so 69"W x 39"H). The second 16:9 screen is using the width of the 2.35:1 screen (so 92"W x 52" H). Where these 2 16:9 screens overlap in throw distance is where you can mount your projector. I would mount towards the close end of the overlap with at least a 6" cushion.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the clear and helpful reply!

So according to the Projector Central calculator for this model:
At 39" image height, I can do 7'9" to 16'3". At 92" image width, I can do 10'4" to 21'9". So 10'4" to 16'3" seems to be the range.

I know you suggested to err on the lower end of possible mounting distances, but that 16 foot upper limit would actually let me slot the projector into this nice weird cubby that the room has so I will try that first just by placing it on a tall shelf, etc to see if that's possible.

Thanks again for your help. I've been scouring the forum and internet for how to calculate possible mounting positions without success (probably because I'm bad at searching), but I now feel like I have a solid starting point to go out and start testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonist2 View Post
Thank you for the clear and helpful reply!

So according to the Projector Central calculator for this model:
At 39" image height, I can do 7'9" to 16'3". At 92" image width, I can do 10'4" to 21'9". So 10'4" to 16'3" seems to be the range.

I know you suggested to err on the lower end of possible mounting distances, but that 16 foot upper limit would actually let me slot the projector into this nice weird cubby that the room has so I will try that first just by placing it on a tall shelf, etc to see if that's possible.

Thanks again for your help. I've been scouring the forum and internet for how to calculate possible mounting positions without success (probably because I'm bad at searching), but I now feel like I have a solid starting point to go out and start testing.
The near end just increases light output some for a bit more pop. Far end will increase contrast and sharpness a bit at the expense of a little brightness. Looks like you've got the range right. Now enjoy that very nice Epson projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page