Upgrade to replace my Panasonic AE8000U? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2019, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Upgrade to replace my Panasonic AE8000U?

Hello-

I've owned a succession of Panny AE series projectors and currently have the last AE8000U model. I run a constant-height 2:35:1 home-made screen and use programmed lens presets to automatically select between 2:35:1 and 16:9 sources. What should I be thinking about next? The AE8000U works ok but it would be nice to have HDR or even just brighter SDR someday. I like the auto-zoom feature of my projector that automatically switches lens presets when it detects letterboxing. Are there other projectors or processors that work this way?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxweb View Post
Hello-

I've owned a succession of Panny AE series projectors and currently have the last AE8000U model. I run a constant-height 2:35:1 home-made screen and use programmed lens presets to automatically select between 2:35:1 and 16:9 sources. What should I be thinking about next? The AE8000U works ok but it would be nice to have HDR or even just brighter SDR someday. I like the auto-zoom feature of my projector that automatically switches lens presets when it detects letterboxing. Are there other projectors or processors that work this way?

Cheers
There aren't other projectors that auto switch to my knowledge. What budget are you working with?

post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My budget is flexible depending on how long I wait and save up for a purchase.

In a one-year time frame I'm probably in the $5k-or-less range for a new projector setup, and unfortunately I think this keeps me out of the external anamorphic lens club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxweb View Post
My budget is flexible depending on how long I wait and save up for a purchase.

In a one-year time frame I'm probably in the $5k-or-less range for a new projector setup, and unfortunately I think this keeps me out of the external anamorphic lens club.
That's fine. You'd need a lot more than $5K to get a lens and projector and today's units work well without a lens.

For that budget range my recommendation would be a JVC NX5 or Epson 5050UB. The Epson will get you slightly more calibrated lumens to work with if you have a larger screen. The JVC will have better contrast, better optics, better motion handling and a native 4K panel (the Epson uses pixel shifting of a 1080 panel for 4K). The JVC also has a 17:9 panel which means for ARs wider than 1.85:1 you can get a bit of extra pixel fill and light (though the Epson will still be brighter). Both will handle 4K very well.

If your screen is less than 150" with that budget the NX5 would be my pick here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Tags
2.35:1 16:9 , auto lens shift , panasonic ae8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page