How do I know (without a projector) if bottom of the “lens beam” will hit my head? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I know (without a projector) if bottom of the “lens beam” will hit my head?

Sorry for dumb question...but I really want a projector setup. Leaning towards an Epson 5050, but worried about my room. The ceiling isn’t tall about 7’8 but also there’s an HVAC trunk that would need to lower the projector another 11 inches....so roughly 6’9 or 6’10. The projector will be probably about 17-19 feet back. If I have the top “beam just under the HVAC is there a way to calculate if the bottom portion of the screen image will be cut off my our heads seated about 10-11ft from screen? Hopefully this silly question makes sense. Maybe I need to find someone with a cheap projector just to cast an image for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-27-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Make a scaled drawing, preferably on graph paper [or suitable Dimensioned Drawing Software], laying out the distances and heights of a) Bottom of the Lens, b) Max Head Height when seated and c) Bottom of the Screen. Then use a ruler to draw a line between a) and c) to determine how much "headroom" you have.

Now do the same thing for HVAC obstruction, drawing line between TOP of Screen and TOP of Lens.

If line intersects with head, you can draw a line between c) and b), extrapolated to New value of a), the height of the raised Lens Bottom that WILL work.

Ditto for HVAC obstruction....

In addition to varying height of Projector, you may need to move location of heads further back in room....and/or move location of projector further forward in room....

Last edited by holl_ands; 08-27-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post
Sorry for dumb question...but I really want a projector setup. Leaning towards an Epson 5050, but worried about my room. The ceiling isn’t tall about 7’8 but also there’s an HVAC trunk that would need to lower the projector another 11 inches....so roughly 6’9 or 6’10. The projector will be probably about 17-19 feet back. If I have the top “beam just under the HVAC is there a way to calculate if the bottom portion of the screen image will be cut off my our heads seated about 10-11ft from screen? Hopefully this silly question makes sense. Maybe I need to find someone with a cheap projector just to cast an image for me.
If you need a visual aid instead of a drawing, tape the end of a piece of string to the spot on the wall where you want your lower screen edge, then stretch that string up to where you think the projector will go. The light will follow the same path. Now you can walk around the room, place a chair under the string, etc.

edit: tape the other end where you think the lens of the pj will be. You may need dimensions, mount clearance, lens shift range, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page