Oppo 203 and CIH - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Oppo 203 and CIH

Hey Oppo 203 owners. Do any of you use the Oppo built in 21:9 aspect switching for your CIH setups? If so, how well does it work compared to a Lumagen? I recently upgraded projectors and it came with a UB-820. I really like the player, but I am really missing the instant aspect switching that I had with my Lumagen mini-3D. Also, when watching variable aspect movies such as MI: Fallout, are you able to use the player to mask the top and bottom of the image and keep it in 2.35 aspect? Thanks for any info you guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr1982 View Post
Also, when watching variable aspect movies such as MI: Fallout, are you able to use the player to mask the top and bottom of the image and keep it in 2.35 aspect? Thanks for any info you guys have.
Yes, this is possible in the OPPO 203. Assuming that you're doing Zoom Method CIH, set the aspect ratio setting for "21:9 Cropped" in the player's menus. Immediately, this will pillarbox a 16:9 input signal into the center of the 2.35:1 portion of the frame. Then hit the Zoom button on the remote to get to the "21:9" setting, which will fill the width of the screen while blanking off the top and bottom.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yes, this is possible in the OPPO 203. Assuming that you're doing Zoom Method CIH, set the aspect ratio setting for "21:9 Cropped" in the player's menus. Immediately, this will pillarbox a 16:9 input signal into the center of the 2.35:1 portion of the frame. Then hit the Zoom button on the remote to get to the "21:9" setting, which will fill the width of the screen while blanking off the top and bottom.

Does this screw up the image resolution if you are playing a 4k disc, especially in 21:9 cropped mode?

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Does this screw up the image resolution if you are playing a 4k disc, especially in 21:9 cropped mode?

No. When you zoom up to "21:9" size, you should have 1:1 pixel mapping in the 2.35:1 portion of the frame. It just masks off the letterbox bars.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No. When you zoom up to "21:9" size, you should have 1:1 pixel mapping in the 2.35:1 portion of the frame. It just masks off the letterbox bars.
Well, watching 16x9 in 21:9 cropped mode does give up something on the order of 44% of the pixels. You are cropping 25% in both directions.

EDIT: nevermind, misunderstood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page