What source to use for 2.35:1 movies? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What source to use for 2.35:1 movies?

I was investigating CIH as I’d like to purchase a CinemaScope size screen. What I read is ‘you need to use an anamorphic lens because you’re loosing x% of the projector’s 4K capability to black bars’.

However, Blu-Ray isn’t an anamorphic format so with a 2.35:1 4K Blu-Ray movie that loss has already occurred at the source level, so the anamorphic projector output would be an upscaled version.

Are there other sources where the source truly uses the 4K pixels available for the full 2.35:1 movie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
You are not loosing 4k material as it is what it is on BD/UHDBD what you are not getting is all the brightness the projector is capable of. Any improvement in resolution would be a result of scaling and using the projectors full panel.

I don’t know of media that contains a full UHD version or any projectors that have a panel AR to allow for straight scope projection.

Bud
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
Are there other sources where the source truly uses the 4K pixels available for the full 2.35:1 movie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I don’t know of media that contains a full UHD version or any projectors that have a panel AR to allow for straight scope projection.
There is no media available that uses anamorphic enhancement at either 1080p or 4k resolution. In fact, most movies shot with digital cameras today do not use anamorphic lenses, which means that the movie itself was only captured using the central 2.35:1 portion of the camera's imaging chip.

As I said recently in another thread, we have reached the point of diminishing returns with resolution. Anamorphic enhancement would not gain you anything meaningful there. For home projection, the benefit of an anamorphic lens is increasing brightness and eliminating the letterbox bars. Using scaling in the projector to stretch the image is a perfectly acceptable way to take advantage of that.
ScottAvery and Craig Peer like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Quote:
You are not loosing 4k material as it is what it is on BD/UHDBD what you are not getting is all the brightness the projector is capable of. Any improvement in resolution would be a result of scaling and using the projectors full panel.

Barco has several - https://www.barco.com/en/staticpages.../model%20range

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well there you go. $26k seems a little out of my budget for a 1080p projector, but it can be done. I didn’t see a price on the 4k residential model?

As josh has been saying the media is limiting factor based around 16:9 and with IMAX Enhanced I would rather have a 16:9 based system anyway. The diminishing return idea makes me wonder what one will want to zoom in the future over just scaling. If you have the brightness and resolution for scope then that says to me IMAX should be no issue. If your unit brightness and resolution is ok for those mega blockbusters then it should be just fine for TV and 1.85 movies.

Set it and forget it and let instantaneous scaling or pushbutton scaling do the CIH/CIH+IMAX.

Bud
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Quote:
Well there you go. $26k seems a little out of my budget for a 1080p projector, but it can be done. I didn’t see a price on the 4k residential model?

As josh has been saying the media is limiting factor based around 16:9 and with IMAX Enhanced I would rather have a 16:9 based system anyway. The diminishing return idea makes me wonder what one will want to zoom in the future over just scaling. If you have the brightness and resolution for scope then that says to me IMAX should be no issue. If your unit brightness and resolution is ok for those mega blockbusters then it should be just fine for TV and 1.85 movies.

Set it and forget it and let instantaneous scaling or pushbutton scaling do the CIH/CIH+IMAX.
What movies are in Imax Enhanced ? Seems like it's already DOA. I'll take a good sized 16:9 screen and a wider scope screen any day. Best of both worlds.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
What movies are in Imax Enhanced ? Seems like it's already DOA. I'll take a good sized 16:9 screen and a wider scope screen any day. Best of both worlds.
There are a few and they are at least talking the talk still on IMAX Enhanced. As far as I know there is no DOA stamp on the program yet. We still get a few IMAX expander movies each year and movies like Aquman might as well be IMAX as they are 90+% IMAX.

I agree I had high hopes at least all the IMAXed movies sitting on the shelf would be made available by now. The popular action blockbusters will sell off the shelves IMO when re-released with the extra footage.

You and I agree on the best of both worlds approach. Many don’t and that CIH approach is what this forum is about and those that like that approach.
Craig Peer likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page