Pros and Cons of 2:35 screen vs. large LCD TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidinGA
  • 1 Post By tidwelr1
  • 1 Post By Josh Z

post #1 of 11 Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Pros and Cons of 2:35 screen vs. large LCD TV

I’m really torn bw doing a 85” LCD tv and a projector setup with a 2:35 screen. I wanted to do a 16:9 screen bc the room is going to be more of a media room used for gaming, watching football, and movies. The bottom of the screen will need to be at least 40” from the floor bc I’m using a credenza to hold all the components and the center channel will sit on top. I’m also wanting to do a soffit that will come down 8-10 inches from the ceiling. Being that the ceiling is 8’, I don’t have tons of space for the screen. Seating will be 10-11 ft from the screen wall.

Based on all of that info, would you do a projector setup or a really large LCD and why? Issues I should be aware of doing a 2.35 screen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I’m really torn bw doing a 85” LCD tv and a projector setup with a 2:35 screen. I wanted to do a 16:9 screen bc the room is going to be more of a media room used for gaming, watching football, and movies. The bottom of the screen will need to be at least 40” from the floor bc I’m using a credenza to hold all the components and the center channel will sit on top. I’m also wanting to do a soffit that will come down 8-10 inches from the ceiling. Being that the ceiling is 8’, I don’t have tons of space for the screen. Seating will be 10-11 ft from the screen wall.

Based on all of that info, would you do a projector setup or a really large LCD and why? Issues I should be aware of doing a 2.35 screen?

I would go with a projector setup. Since you are height limited but can fit an 85 inch TV, then you can fit a 110 inch 2.35 screen.
It will give a similar size 16:9 picture, but be a massive upgrade for 2.35 movies.
You will need a projector with lens memory with low lag for gaming. Epson/Sony/JVC will cover you depending on your budget.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTemp View Post
I would go with a projector setup. Since you are height limited but can fit an 85 inch TV, then you can fit a 110 inch 2.35 screen.
It will give a similar size 16:9 picture, but be a massive upgrade for 2.35 movies.
You will need a projector with lens memory with low lag for gaming. Epson/Sony/JVC will cover you depending on your budget.

Thanks. That’s exactly the size screen I was thinking if I did a projector setup. Is there content that won’t fit inside the 2:35 screen? Thats a big concern of mine. How much of a “bother” will the blacks bars on the side be when watching Netflix or gaming? I’m so used to the bars being on the top and bottom.
The other thing I can’t decide on is a better “all around” projector in the Epson 6050 or a JVC rs540 for better movie watching due to the better blacks. I’m a gamer and the input lag on the JVC is significantly higher on the JVC for competitive gaming. The JVC sounds like it’s more of a pain for HDR adjustments and just general use. Is this right or have been focusing too much on the nit picking people have been saying? Ughhh. Really prefer a 16:9 screen bc I think it’s the best of both worlds for my potential use. Am I underestimating how awesome the 2:35 screen might be with movies? I’ve never had a projector setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
You really need to understand projection and presentation better before you can make an informed choice. Most people sitting 10’-11’ feet from a 1080p or 4k projection setup would want a more immersive screen size than you are suggesting. For CIH constant image height (2.35:1 screen) they would want the image height to be roughly half the seating distance or about 63” tall. Or a 160” screen 63x147. That would be roughly like sitting in the middle of a commercial theater. Of course some sit closer some sit farther and that is a personal choice. Secondly 40” from the floor is higher than what most like and they prefer something closer to the eye level sight line being about 1/3 to half way up the screen. with a higher screen it works if you are in a reclined seat. Then there is most of us with projection setups do not like the old TV setup of the equipment in the front of the room. The lights are rather distracting when watching lights out.

A projector works best in the dark and in a room that is treated in dark colors and not reflective. Projectors are a strong light source and will light up a room with the light bouncing off the screen. If that light can bounce around and get back to the screen it will reduce the CR in the image. Rooms do not have to be perfect to get a great projected image but they need to be much better than what would work fine for a large TV.

Asking the question here what is better is like preaching to the choir we all love our projectors and hope more people jump on the wagon.

When set up properly there is nothing to compare, but you need to really dig into what makes a good setup before you drop a lot of money.

Bud
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

8ft ceilings and you lose 8-10 inches for the soffit plus you want the bottom of the display to be 40" off the floor??? That's not really a very good space for a projector setup imo. I'd go with the lcd panel in this setup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
8ft ceilings and you lose 8-10 inches for the soffit plus you want the bottom of the display to be 40" off the floor??? That's not really a very good space for a projector setup imo. I'd go with the lcd panel in this setup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeap. The previous post all but convinced me to do the LCD route in light of all the room treatment required to have the best picture quality. Im not wanting the room to be a cave as I’m looking to use the room during the day for watching college football, etc. With that said, I’ve had my 65” tv in our current family room with the same credenza and center channel speaker and it’s never been close to an issue in terms of the image height. It’s about perfect in my opinion. The tv would be too low when reclined if it were 10” lower.

DavidinGA likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Going from 65 to 85 is going to seem pretty amazing and it won’t alter your room or your viewing habits at all.

That being said if you ever have a different area in your home like a basement man cave you might take it to a whole new level with a front projection media room. Most people think of such as being wildly expensive and it very well can be just that, but it doesn’t have to be.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Bud
post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
Quote:
Im not wanting the room to be a cave as I’m looking to use the room during the day for watching college football, etc.
You've effectively just ruled out a projector for your use. Projectors require a dark room. That's just the nature of them.

Some people will go so far as to install both a flat panel TV and a projector with a pulldown screen that can be dropped in front of the TV when watching movies. Only you can decide if that's something that interests you, or you have the budget for.
Craig Peer likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have a Samsung 82Q90 in my very bright Living room with a 9.2 Atmos sound and a 120" FP in a 12' x 13' HT with 13 channels sound. The LR is a multi-purpose room and the brightness of the Q90 and it's HDR is fantastic. On the other hand, My HT is a batcave to get as much performance as possible from the FP format. It's a single-purpose room. Any light at all washes out the picture. The immersion of the 120" screen at 9' viewing distance compensates for the lack of HDR, but the room is not suitable for anything else. If I were to try doing anything else in the room other than watching movies, the extra size would make no difference. Other than size, I really prefer the 82Q90, and if I were watching sports with my buddies, there is no contest which I would prefer.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-14-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I have a Samsung 82Q90 in my very bright Living room with a 9.2 Atmos sound and a 120" FP in a 12' x 13' HT with 13 channels sound. The LR is a multi-purpose room and the brightness of the Q90 and it's HDR is fantastic. On the other hand, My HT is a batcave to get as much performance as possible from the FP format. It's a single-purpose room. Any light at all washes out the picture. The immersion of the 120" screen at 9' viewing distance compensates for the lack of HDR, but the room is not suitable for anything else. If I were to try doing anything else in the room other than watching movies, the extra size would make no difference. Other than size, I really prefer the 82Q90, and if I were watching sports with my buddies, there is no contest which I would prefer.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on the Q80 versus the Q90 you selected? I was leaning towards the Sony 85” 900f with the recent price drop on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on the Q80 versus the Q90 you selected? I was leaning towards the Sony 85” 900f with the recent price drop on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I am on a 5-yr upgrade cycle, I am biased to the "flagship" model, so I went with the Q90. Prices on Amazon are pretty good for them right now. The set I replaced was the flagship Sony 79XBR900 bought in 2005. It is pretty much unwatchable in my very bright living room with a lot of windows during the day because of room reflections on the screen. I changed it out a year early when the reports on the anti-reflection coatings on the new Samsungs were so good. The 85" size of the new Sony and Sony's class-leading signal processing made it the front-runner for me. But, when I saw that it still has the very reflective screen, I ruled it out. The Samsung's reputation for VERY good anti-reflection properties is well deserved. I don't notice them at all, whereas they were all I could see on the Sony during the day. The bright room is the reason I also ruled out OLED at the outset. I have posted in the Samsung Q900 forum on the reason for my decision to go with the fully mature 4K Q90 Samsung, rather than the first generation 8K Q900.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page