It seems not much changed over the years - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottAvery

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems not much changed over the years

Hello,

I'm OG large screen HT nut, been gone a long time. Still looks like CIH and anamorphic lens projector systems remain a niche for 1% videophiles. As with all digital technologies, projector native resolution and light output have improved dramatically from the old high tech line doubled image feeding a CRT FP days. lol.

It seems like today's mainstream native 4k UHD projector can throw a very nice sharp and bright 2.35 image onto a 10 foot screen in full light controlled venues, especially for movies. The increased resolution and brightness may offer more for sport fans.

The specialty high quality design and production anamorphic lens remain a costly hurdle as it always has. For home HT, making the decision to go down this path, chasing single digit improvements for the multiple factors increase in cost, seems one that even fewer venture into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Anamorphic lenses are not required for Constant Image Height. Plenty of us here watch content on a 2.35:1 CIH screen using the projector's zoom to spill the letterbox bars above and below the screen.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7107 Post(s)
Liked: 8442
Yes, nothing has changed since 2003 except the picture is even better, and so is the audio.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-21-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I think it is fair to say that the added light output available with a lens can make HDR content more viable on front projection at larger screen size. it is not a trivial difference, where that is concerned, and used lenses are available from all those who have given up on the hassle.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page