Cheap A-lens aspect ratio mode processing? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeahrens
  • 1 Post By snowkarver

post #1 of 4 Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Cheap A-lens aspect ratio mode processing?

Hi, quick question from an OG budget CIH enthusiast.

I've been enjoying my el cheapo setup for the past 7 years - Epson 8350 and fixed Panamorph Cinevista with ratio modes via my Onkyo 818 receiver. It works great, and gives me one-button toggling between 16:9 and 2.35. Doesn't hold a candle to current technology, but the first-gen Qdeo and Vida chipsets are fine for 1080.

The 8350 is EOL so I'm replacing it with a refurb Epson 3100, the cheapest decent pj still on the market ($680!) with panel convergence controls to correct chromatic abberation from the Cinevista.

Long story short, I just found out about the Onkyo recall which would let me get a brand new Atmos receiver for a few hundred bucks. Great! The problem is that video processing has gone out of style with 4K, so Onkyo has dropped it entirely from its current crop, as has everyone else. So unless I can find some kind of cheap alternative to the 818's 4:3 horizontal squeeze and 2.35 vertical stretch modes, I'm stuck with it.

I see a few used Lumigen Mini-3Ds around for $300-400 which I guess would be best option, but I'm loathe to shell out more $ for what is essentially a system on its last legs before I scrap everything and start again.

Any other ideas for doing the A-lens stretch/squeeze?

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!
Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS Home Theater of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post
Hi, quick question from an OG budget CIH enthusiast.

I've been enjoying my el cheapo setup for the past 7 years - Epson 8350 and fixed Panamorph Cinevista with ratio modes via my Onkyo 818 receiver. It works great, and gives me one-button toggling between 16:9 and 2.35. Doesn't hold a candle to current technology, but the first-gen Qdeo and Vida chipsets are fine for 1080.

The 8350 is EOL so I'm replacing it with a refurb Epson 3100, the cheapest decent pj still on the market ($680!) with panel convergence controls to correct chromatic abberation from the Cinevista.

Long story short, I just found out about the Onkyo recall which would let me get a brand new Atmos receiver for a few hundred bucks. Great! The problem is that video processing has gone out of style with 4K, so Onkyo has dropped it entirely from its current crop, as has everyone else. So unless I can find some kind of cheap alternative to the 818's 4:3 horizontal squeeze and 2.35 vertical stretch modes, I'm stuck with it.

I see a few used Lumigen Mini-3Ds around for $300-400 which I guess would be best option, but I'm loathe to shell out more $ for what is essentially a system on its last legs before I scrap everything and start again.

Any other ideas for doing the A-lens stretch/squeeze?
Refurb 5040? It would move you to 4K and also let you opt to either use the a-lens or use lens memory. Be about the same cost as what you are looking at for the projector and processor. Way better option moving forward.
Josh Z likes this.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thanks for the idea, at the refurb price it would have been tempting, but they're weren't available and I already had the 3100 ordered. My Cinevista won't likely resolve 4K very well anyway, so I plan to run out the clock with 1080.

After much detective work tonight, I did discover that 2014 Onkyo models have the magic - it was the last year they kept Marvell Qdeo processing (and thus the required A-modes) before dropping it, AND also the first year that Atmos hit the market - so the 838, 1030 and 3030 have both. I found an old stock open-box 838 on eBay for 350 bucks, so will give it a try. Basically a straight swap of my existing 818 but adding Atmos, new Dolby Surround, and some newer firmware like Spotify Connect. That should keep things humming for another few years!
ScottAvery likes this.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!
Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS Home Theater of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Refurb 5040? It would move you to 4K and also let you opt to either use the a-lens or use lens memory. Be about the same cost as what you are looking at for the projector and processor. Way better option moving forward.
Epson only has aspect ratio scaling control in the 6040. That is the key technical differentiator between the models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page