Are there any BD players that can force a 2.35:1 ratio? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By b curry
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Are there any BD players that can force a 2.35:1 ratio?

I have a 2.35:1 projector screen from my last apartment, and at my new place, my projector cannot throw a large enough image, so I'm considering either a new PJ or switching to 16:9. Another factor here is sending a 21:9 signal all day to the projector. I disliked using my computer as my source, due it its choppy playback and general nuisance to switch between BDs and applications like Netflix. Right now I'm using a PS3 and the playback is nice and smooth, and the menu is intuitive. I was wondering if a higher end product like a standalone player could force a 2.35:1 image so I could use my 2.35:1 screen with a new PJ, and then when switching back and forth between media, the image would stay constant, and yet i'd have ZERO of the problems HTPCs come with. Thoughts?


-edit The only other way I can think of doing this is a BD Player or game console captured by a PC, which then I could choose w/e ratio I want and even colorimeter calibration, but none of the downfalls of using a HTPC like relying on its hardware and software.

Last edited by Maze810; 12-04-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Maze810 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What do you mean by ‘force’. If you would cut off the top and bottom of a 16:9 movie you’d have forced the ratio but you also have lost actual movie details.
ijansch is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
What do you mean by ‘force’. If you would cut off the top and bottom of a 16:9 movie you’d have forced the ratio but you also have lost actual movie details.

I can set an HTPC to a 21:9 resolution. It will display movies in the full screen, worst case scenario, I have to set Zoom manually. An HTPC will put black bars on the left and right sides for 16:9 content like a TV show. Is there a way to set a 21:9 resolution with a BD player? Or, could I trick it into thinking the projector is 21:9?


- edit I want to do 2.35:1 without an A-lens.

Last edited by Maze810; 12-04-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Maze810 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b curry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: on the way to Hell, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze810 View Post
I can set an HTPC to a 21:9 resolution. It will display movies in the full screen, worst case scenario, I have to set Zoom manually. An HTPC will put black bars on the left and right sides for 16:9 content like a TV show. Is there a way to set a 21:9 resolution with a BD player? Or, could I trick it into thinking the projector is 21:9?


- edit I want to do 2.35:1 without an A-lens.
If I understand you correctly, the only BD/UHD players that I know of that will do both horizontal and vertical 1:33 zoom (Oppo calls it "Full Screen Zoom") for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio is the Oppo UDP-203, UDP-205, BDP-103 etc.

Of course Oppo Digital closed its doors with regards to manufacturing and selling product last year. It's possible to find new/used UDp-203/205 units for sale at the usual places, but at this time, they are being sold at scalper prices or 2-5 times more than the original MSRP. Even the older units are selling for very high prices.

You can refer to the feature in the manual on page 28. I've attached a link for the manual.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP2...GLISH_V1.0.pdf
Josh Z and Maze810 like this.
b curry is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
If I understand you correctly, the only BD/UHD players that I know of that will do both horizontal and vertical 1:33 zoom (Oppo calls it "Full Screen Zoom") for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio is the Oppo UDP-203, UDP-205, BDP-103 etc.

Of course Oppo Digital closed its doors with regards to manufacturing and selling product last year. It's possible to find new/used UDp-203/205 units for sale at the usual places, but at this time, they are being sold at scalper prices or 2-5 times more than the original MSRP. Even the older units are selling for very high prices.

You can refer to the feature in the manual on page 28. I've attached a link for the manual.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP2...GLISH_V1.0.pdf

So that's why OPPOs are so much money. I thought "Damn, $2200? Are these only were only for the rich and famous??". Someone mentioned to me to get around the choppy bluray software I could just rip the discs to my ssd and they would play smoothly so I think I'm going to go with an HTPC now. It's a shame their players are legacy products now, considering their tech was ahead of its time, 21:9 getting to be mainstream in PC monitors and the first 21:9 4K TVs are starting to come out.

Last edited by Maze810; 12-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Maze810 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b curry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: on the way to Hell, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze810 View Post
So that's why OPPOs are so much money. I thought "Damn, $2200? Are these only were only for the rich and famous??". Someone mentioned to me to get around the choppy bluray software I could just rip the discs to my ssd and they would play smoothly so I think I'm going to go with an HTPC now. It's a shame their players are legacy products now, considering their tech was ahead of its time, 21:9 getting to be mainstream in PC monitors and the first 21:9 4K TVs are starting to come out.
Yes, it's unfortunate that they decided to pull the plug. It was a very good and cost effective way to support 2.35:1 aspects.

I'm starting to see prices begin to drop or soften a little now as Panasonic has come to market with two very competitive machines feature wise for much less money. The only problem is the Panasonic machines do not have the anamorphic vertical stretch or the full zoom function that seems to be unique to OPPO. I suspect in a year or so the OPPO machines may come back to earth at maybe original MSRP pricing or less. To their credit, OPPO has continued to offer support in firmware updates and repair. But that will end too sometime in the future. And as you know, without firmware updates that support changes to HDCP, it will become a boat anchor.

The Lumagen brand video processors will allow you to have custom aspects to support any film aspect ratio, but they are a little pricey too. However, money better spent on a Lumagen unit rather than a discontinued OPPO IMHO.

EDIT: There is a possibility/alternative that you can explorer. It seems to be banned from discussion on these forums under penalty of death but if you do a search on the www for M9702 you'll find some information.

Last edited by b curry; 12-06-2019 at 12:11 PM.
b curry is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,420
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 962
You could look into why your htpc has choppy video. You might try looking into what is sharing interrupts, and optimising the OS and simply cleaning up any residual crap that Windows likes to accumulate.
Tedd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off