Anything besides Lumagen Radiance Pro for 2.35 CIH in 4K HDR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2019, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anything besides Lumagen Radiance Pro for 2.35 CIH in 4K HDR?

I’m currently using a Lumagen Radiance mini 3D with my Panasonic AE-4000U 1080P projector. I love the aspect ratio control and NLS (non-linear stretch) of Lumagen. Non 2.35 content fills up the height of the screen and is stretched horizontally by the Lumagen to fill up the screen. I know there is some distortion by the stretch, but I’m okay with that.

I know I can use a projector with powered zoom to achieve most of this, but this won’t horizontally stretch non-2.35 content. I want everything to fill up my screen, regardless of aspect ratio. Again, I know there may be some distortion by the stretch, and I realize I’m not utilizing all of the pixels by zooming so that 2.35 content fills the screen perfectly, but I’m fine with that.

I just upgraded to a BenQ HT5550 4K projector. I’m looking for something to perform the aspect ratio control, non-linear stretch, and cropping which I was able to achieve with my Lumagen Radiance Mini. I’m not looking to adjust picture settings, although I know the Lumagen can do this and much more. I’m also not interested in any type of anamorphic lens system.

Are there other less expensive options out there for what I’m trying to achieve?

Last edited by matty1137; 12-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
I believe the Radiance Pro is the only game in town for this at the moment, sadly.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
I know people that like to do this but I never understood it in the TV world and I really don’t get a grasp on it in the projection world.

With projection and with zoom or even digital scaling size without distortion is infinite.

Immersion level can be tailored for every item you watch if you want as long as the surface you are reflecting off of is large enough in both directions to hold that image.

Starting with a 2.35 screen and a 1.77 projector is a lure to do this method.

CIH is a presentation method but most assume it is a screen AR. It should never IMO be about filling anything fully.

My apologies to @matty1137 as I know you are free to like what you like and I will never ask anyone to change what they like as I know my methods are also not agreed with by most people.

Just think about if you didn’t have a fixed screen and could zoom everything as big as it felt correct would you choose to distort an image or just right size it?

Sorry I don’t have info on equipment to do what you want but I would trust Josh if he says that’s the only one.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page