Buy an anamorphic lens or projector with more zoom? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Buy an anamorphic lens or projector with more zoom?

I own an Epson HC2100 projector and a 127" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 screen. After I moved, I learned my throw isn't short enough anymore. The most I can throw is 120" but I need to throw 135" and a minimum of a 100". The most suitable projector I found for this is the BenQ ht4050. I could zoom in when I want to watch movies and zoom out when I want to watch TV. However there's another option, I could take the 100" screen that I project right now, even though the Epson HC2100 doesn't have an anamorphic option, I could figure something out with my PC, and buy a used panamorph lens like a uh480.

Ultimately would I benefit more from putting another layer of glass in front of the projector lens, but having more light output and pixels? Or just having one layer of glass for the projector, yet losing light output and pixels on the top and bottom?

With the ht4050: I would still have a full 1080p image for 16:9 content. Also, it has a glass lens and probably better PQ than the Epson.

With the Panamorph lens: If i just need to throw 100", I'll have more choices for projector upgrades in the future, not having to worry about zoom level. For staying 1080p anyway. An older Panamorph probably won't work as well if i upgrade to 4k.

What would you do in my shoes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have an epson 5040 and a panamorph 480.... And the exact 127" screen

The lens is very high quality... I wouldn't worry about that.

The panamorph will introduce some barrel effects on the edges of the screen if the throw is too short. Also, it stretches to 2.4 to 1... Not 2.35 like the silver ticket.... So you will have a bit of image projected to the sides. This can be dealt with using velvet or blanking controls.

I've done a. Rough setup on mine... Some more playing is in order... But I do love guests reaction when I hit the anamorphic mode button... Then slide the lens.in place.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Would I see A.lens artifacts if i'm only throwing 100" from 12 feet?

Another option is a projector that is 4k pixel switching and brighter so that even though I'm always using the projector zoomed in, i'm making up for the 1/3 brightness and pixel loss. Looking at the Optoma uhd51alv: https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-UHD51ALV-Theater-Projector-Assistant/dp/B07GY519RC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

if you google the limitations of the 480, if memory serves me correct it wants 14 foot thrown minimum for minimal effects. I just measured. and from screen to the epsons lens i'm at 11 foot 11 with a 127" 2.35 to 1 screen. distance to the a lens would be less since it sits in front. i have about 2 inches I can move the pj back... and may. I have no issue living with it as it is, but have some more tweaking. I used the a lens in another set up with about 12.5 feet and it was barely noticeable... but i'm pushing the limits
Maze810 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3506
The Panamorph UH480 is incapable of passing 4k detail. For that, you need a newer Paladin lens. The o/p would get far more cost-benefit by purchasing a projector with better zoom range and lens shift controls.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-26-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't need 4k, i just wanted to maintain a constant 1440p in the middle when zoomed in. I prefer better PQ for the same price, and low input lag, which is still exclusive to 1080p pjs.

If it works as 12 ft, it works for me. I went ahead and ordered the UH480. I'll let you know how it is.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze810 View Post
I don't need 4k, i just wanted to maintain a constant 1440p in the middle when zoomed in. I prefer better PQ for the same price, and low input lag, which is still exclusive to 1080p pjs.

If it works as 12 ft, it works for me. I went ahead and ordered the UH480. I'll let you know how it is.
ebay i assume? like josh said... there could be benefits to a new pj. i purchased my 480 likely 8 years ago as a b stock... believe I paid 800. today, i would likely pay half that. in my case, my short throw would have meant a smaller scope screen. i do like that i can leave it in eco and its plenty bright (and quiet!) and using the lens allows me to use the whole panel and get the max light output. so there are some tradeoffs. for sure

i sit 8 feet from the 127" 2.35 screen and I can't see a reduction in resolution... now my 5040 isn't true 4k either. but there does get to a point where, if you can't see it, why pay for it...
Maze810 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-27-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post
ebay i assume? like josh said... there could be benefits to a new pj. i purchased my 480 likely 8 years ago as a b stock... believe I paid 800. today, i would likely pay half that. in my case, my short throw would have meant a smaller scope screen. i do like that i can leave it in eco and its plenty bright (and quiet!) and using the lens allows me to use the whole panel and get the max light output. so there are some tradeoffs. for sure

i sit 8 feet from the 127" 2.35 screen and I can't see a reduction in resolution... now my 5040 isn't true 4k either. but there does get to a point where, if you can't see it, why pay for it...

Yes, eBay was the only place I could fine one. I guess I'm in the niche still using 1080p/blurays and not upgrading to 4k/uhd blurays. But still, A. Lens aren't easy to get, are they? Panamorph's website looks sketchy, no actual links to any stores, just shows the prices of their newest 2 products and to message them directly. Almost all the stores I see offers them after "getting a quote", though Best Buy sells the newest ones outright. Cheapest I saw was the ELPFALKED, made for high end Epsons, for $2995, followed by the Phoenix for $3995. No add to cart, just "request a quote". What is this, a car? If A.Lens are as great as they say, why aren't they on Amazon?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
I’m coming a little late to the talk, but for 3 years I was more than happy using a homemade mirror throw length extender I made. It was cheap to build had no barrel distortions and the project only took a few hours. I went cheap and used a store bought second surface mirror and it had the slightest of banding artifacts that could only be noticed in an all white image or all one color. In normal movies I could never notice any PQ loss at all.

My setup was a rear facing ceiling mount that was on a short slide and a very slight downward angle to a tilted mirror. I framed the mirror with steel strips and made masking panels that attached with magnets. This allowed me to use a stealth painted screen wall and block out the overspill at the mirror rather than at the screen. The slide allowed for some throw length adjustment for fine-tuning.
armstrr likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page