Software to reduce lens distortion in real time? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Software to reduce lens distortion in real time?

I bought a used Panamorph UH480, and I'm almost 100% satisfied with it over zooming. It allows me to choose nicer projectors with better contrast rather than worry about throw ratio. However I do have some barrel distortion (I've got the lens as straight as I could). I'm wondering if there is software that would do something like reduce a fish-eye effect over the whole desktop in real time. Anything like this? Thanks.

HT: Epson HC2100 projector, Panamorph UH480, Silver Ticket 127" (2.35:1)
Audio: Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver, Vintage 3.1 ADS speaker system with SVS PB-1000 subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked: 3696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze810 View Post
I bought a used Panamorph UH480, and I'm almost 100% satisfied with it over zooming. It allows me to choose nicer projectors with better contrast rather than worry about throw ratio. However I do have some barrel distortion (I've got the lens as straight as I could). I'm wondering if there is software that would do something like reduce a fish-eye effect over the whole desktop in real time. Anything like this? Thanks.
As a horizontal expansion lens, the UH480 will have pincushion distortion, where the center of each side dips inwards. You'd find barrel roll, where the center of each side bows outward, on a vertical compression lens.

Any software like you propose would require aggressive scaling to change the shape of the image, similar to keystone processing. This is strongly discouraged, as it takes a serious hit on the image resolution and introduces all sorts of artifacts such as aliasing. You're much better off trying to minimize the pincushion optically by adjusting the placement of your projector (a further throw distance will have less pincushion) and the angle of the lens.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page